Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

First responderS?

Mon Nov 05, 2012 12:39 am

Mate had to phone an ambulance the other day, and he text back about waiting on an ambulance and next thing he knows these lads show up called first responders? Said they were brilliant but any idea who they are? Never heard of em!

Re: First responderS?

Mon Nov 05, 2012 10:54 am

LeBlue wrote:Mate had to phone an ambulance the other day, and he text back about waiting on an ambulance and next thing he knows these lads show up called first responders? Said they were brilliant but any idea who they are? Never heard of em!

They get there with decent First Aid knowledge before an ambulance arrives to deal with the more serious stuff, if need be. That's my understanding, anyway.

Mon Nov 05, 2012 10:55 am

Correct. Normally in an estate car with basic first aid needs.

Mon Nov 05, 2012 11:06 am

They are volunteers with first aid training.They are also carry and are trained to use the de-fib, just in case they need to use shock treatment :ayatollah:

Mon Nov 05, 2012 4:56 pm

Had a look about and asked my mate, apparantly they're not just first aiders but not far below paramedics and have simialr kits :o they just can't give drugs but hold oxygen and all the masks and that jazz!

what do you guys think of them then? as on a deeper look they seem to do some good!

Mon Nov 05, 2012 5:01 pm

I was going to do the First Responder course but realised its actually quite scary and I dont really like blood :oops: :oops:

Mon Nov 05, 2012 5:25 pm

They do excellent work, going to calls and dealing with calls to free up the ambulance service. Most have got basic first aid skills with oxygen therapy and are trained to use the de-fib. So nowhere near a paramedic. They are not allowed to go to certain calls like a car crash or anyway near domestic.