Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

We needed to replace Maynard

Sun Nov 04, 2012 6:13 am

In my opinion - Helgusson too old - Gestede is just Shit & Mason too lightweight

Its going to cost us dearly

Re: We needed to replace Maynard

Sun Nov 04, 2012 7:47 am

Replace mm for away games more like :old:

Sun Nov 04, 2012 7:49 am

bluebird1977 wrote:Replace mm for away games more like :old:

:lol:

Sun Nov 04, 2012 9:36 am

Mr Moo Cow wrote:In my opinion - Helgusson too old - Gestede is just Shit & Mason too lightweight

Myself and Carl have been saying we need to replace Maynard from the day we lost him for nearly the whole of this season, could cost us big time.

Sun Nov 04, 2012 10:26 am

who are we going to replace him with,names please

Sun Nov 04, 2012 10:34 am

hirwaunbluebird wrote:who are we going to replace him with,names please

Thats up to Malky and his staff to find.
We spent millions on him, We would not have paid that much if we had not needed a player like Maynard. We need to buy or loan a player of his quality ASAP.

Sun Nov 04, 2012 10:36 am

Charlie Austin.
Lucianio Bechio
Marvin Enmes
Kenwynne Jones
Carlton Cole
Billy Sharp
Jay Bothroyd
Ross Mcormack

Sun Nov 04, 2012 10:37 am

Away from home we are non existent up front

Helgusson at 35 can't do it

Lets loan Kenwynne Jones / Cameron Jerome - Just to add pace

Sun Nov 04, 2012 10:41 am

We need to give Velikonja a chance. Gestede is awful.

Sun Nov 04, 2012 10:45 am

Totally agree!

If Bellers was fit every game it wouldn't be an issue but he never is. Although he is not a natural finisher his overall brilliance compensates for this by creating enough chances for himself to score.

Clearly Malky feels Velikonja isn't ready so it's time to move in the market.

Mason is a worry for me, definite second season syndrome. He is virtually anonymous everytime he plays

Sun Nov 04, 2012 10:53 am

bluebirds80 wrote:Totally agree!

If Bellers was fit every game it wouldn't be an issue but he never is. Although he is not a natural finisher his overall brilliance compensates for this by creating enough chances for himself to score.

Mason is a worry for me, definite second season syndrome. He is virtually anonymous everytime he plays

Love Bellers pure class, but over this season he will be lucky to play 20 games, so like u say we cant rely on him.

Sun Nov 04, 2012 11:00 am

Well he wasn't anonymous in the previous match, when we stuffed Burnley and he scored after 3 minutes! :D

Sun Nov 04, 2012 11:13 am

Overthemoon wrote:

Well he wasn't anonymous in the previous match, when we stuffed Burnley and he scored after 3 minutes! :D

One swallow don't make a summer.

Just doesn't look the same threat this season and I rate him

Sun Nov 04, 2012 11:18 am

bluebirds80 wrote:
Overthemoon wrote:

One swallow don't make a summer.

Just doesn't look the same threat this season and I rate him

He's hardly started a match this season, as he's spent most of it on the bench and whilst I don't think it was his best performance in a Cardiff shirt, it was hardly as poor a performance as some are making out!

Sun Nov 04, 2012 1:22 pm

Velikonja is like a greyhound waiting to come out of the traps, he needs a chance to show what he can do.

Sun Nov 04, 2012 2:24 pm

We need to replace maynard? Mmmm im sure we signed a £1mill striker aswell in the summer can someone tell malky or has he forgot :ayatollah:

Sun Nov 04, 2012 2:47 pm

Mr Moo Cow wrote:In my opinion - Helgusson too old - Gestede is just Shit & Mason too lightweight

I agree that our forward line is our weakest part of the team. Malky needs to sort that out NOW and not wait until January. He also needs to develop a better plan for away games. At Bolton we had no tempo to our game. We looked like we wanted to play at a slow pace....and we hit too many long balls. MM has this unbreakable faith in HH even though he was up against two huge CBs, yet we still hit long balls. Some went down the channel but Joe Mason hasn't really got the pace. Sadly Rudy does not seem to be good enough (I would love to be proved wrong by the way) and CB39 is absent more than we would like. Ideally we need a big target man with pace or failing that a direct replacement for Maynard, a quick, natural goalscorer. :ayatollah:

Sun Nov 04, 2012 2:57 pm

January bid for either Billy Sharp or Charlie Austin ;)

Sun Nov 04, 2012 3:14 pm

Stoke are prepared to allow Jerome out on loan and he is exactly the type of player we need.

:ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Sun Nov 04, 2012 3:20 pm

Mr Moo Cow wrote:Away from home we are non existent up front

Helgusson at 35 can't do it

Lets loan Kenwynne Jones / Cameron Jerome - Just to add pace

That the Helguson who won us the game against Ipswich with his two goals?

Sun Nov 04, 2012 3:23 pm

Waste of a million pounds then. Shouldn't be spending that sort of money for potential. Shows up Malky's transfer policy if you ask me.

Sun Nov 04, 2012 3:39 pm

Maynard didn't exactly do much in the games he did play in and I think Mason can do the job he did for those games. We have velikonja on the sidelines and Earnie out on loan so we don't need more options up front. I can't believe helguson and Gestede are so high in the pecking order and if I was going to replace anyone it would be helguson because at the moment he is the only striker who can really play his role in the team which means he is going to start 40+ games this season and doesn't look like he is going to score more than miller did last season.

What we really need is to tighten up defensively away from home.

Sun Nov 04, 2012 5:47 pm

You can't rely on your defense in this league- just score more goals than the opposition !!!

If this is a promotion winning team it must be prepared for the first game of next season, are Mason, Velikonja, Maynard and gestede premier league class ? Has Helguson and Bellamy got the legs for another season in the top flight

Need to get the cheque book out because the answer at best is "i hope so"

Sun Nov 04, 2012 7:22 pm

Is Helgusson the new Miller, i.e undroppable? I am not saying that he deserves to be dropped, but is it again a case of asking too much of a limited player? ultimately last year we were just playing Miller and not really expecting anything of him just that he was running around for 90 minutes! When Smith and Bellars get back we have new and different types of threat, but for the amount of money already spent, I think its quite a gamble to rely on those players to get us the goals, needed.

Sun Nov 04, 2012 8:04 pm

The problem is with malky. He seems set on a big striker, may be something to him being a former centre half but with the passing ability in our team speed and movement up front in technical quick players may pay dividends if plan a isn't working. It doesn't take a great deal of accuracy and guile to knock it aimlessly into a big fella.
IMO if Rudy is not good enough to start then he is not good enough. Time to look at something different away 433

Sun Nov 04, 2012 8:30 pm

Danny Graham

One of Malky's favourites, ex-Watford, not able to get a regular start for the Jacks. Also, the type of player we need.

The only thing to stop this happening is if Rogers grabs him for Liverpool, whose striker crisis (Suarez excepted) is much more desperate than ours!

Mark my words!

:ayatollah:

Sun Nov 04, 2012 8:40 pm

bluebird58 wrote:

Danny Graham

One of Malky's favourites, ex-Watford, not able to get a regular start for the Jacks. Also, the type of player we need.

The only thing to stop this happening is if Rogers grabs him for Liverpool, whose striker crisis (Suarez excepted) is much more desperate than ours!

Mark my words!

:ayatollah:

There was a few mutterings a week or so ago about Danny Graham.

I don't think the powers at liverpool will let Rodgers lose with the chequebook again 15m Allen Borrini 10 m :lol: :lol: :lol:

Sun Nov 04, 2012 10:21 pm

To be fair Graham has started 8 out of Swansea's 12 matches this season and come on as a sub in the others so he isn't exactly out of the first team. So that one is less likely than Jamie mackie last season.

Sun Nov 04, 2012 11:07 pm

I think most here seem to agree that Helgusson is not the answer and we need someone else up front. Why not try Velikonja and tell him that if he plays well then he's our No 1 striker for the season. If he doesn't then a replacement will be found in January. The problem then is do we go for someone like Charlie Austin who would cost silly money but would get us up and may end up being a decent premiership player (or not) or go for a good championship player like say Darius Henderson, who would only have 6 months left on his contract, and who we might get at a bargain price.

Loan players are not the answer. They know they're going back to their club whether we go up or not so have nothing riding on our promotion.

Sun Nov 04, 2012 11:38 pm

dont get me wrong i like helguson, gestede and mason, but in my opinion, we're pissing in the wind if we think them 3 are going to get 20 goals between them.

Helguson - hard worker, holds the ball up but he's not a poacher, not gonna grab us the 20 odd goals.

gestede - we should ship him out to a league one team on loan, give him first team football week in week out, i can see it being extremely beneficial to the lad.

mason - he has a nack to score, but i dont see him scoring enough, hes a great kid but not ready for the pressure of our club.