Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

What would YOU do, to improve our away form.

Sat Nov 03, 2012 7:50 pm

Lots of 'Football Manager 2013' coaches on here as ever, lets hear it then, whats the solution to the issues we have away from home, lets have a decent breakdown from you.

lets avoid the one line of tactics like 'replace HH with Velikonja' etc etc, make it a decent size and well thought out solution.

Re: What would YOU do, to improve our away form.

Sat Nov 03, 2012 7:55 pm

Gavlar wrote:Lots of 'Football Manager 2013' coaches on here as ever, lets hear it then, whats the solution to the issues we have away from home, lets have a decent breakdown from you.

lets avoid the one line of tactics like 'replace HH with Velikonja' etc etc, make it a decent size and well thought out solution.

in my opinion we have lost a few games cos we've been negative away from home, perhaps palace and forest in particular though we should never have lost against palace being 2-0 up!
We lost today cos:
A) it was always gonna be a tough place to go especially on freedmans first home game
B) the ref was absolute shite
C) Mason and Helguson didnt give us enough up front

I dont blame malky at all, the only thing i would have done different is brought frei on earlier. :ayatollah:

Sat Nov 03, 2012 7:59 pm

Well id start with going for the win instead of using boring negative tactics. We are concentrating on defending instead of attacking, hoofed it constantly and brought pressure on ourselves. If we tried to play football and go for as many goals as possible(like we do at home) then maybe we might start winning away.

Sat Nov 03, 2012 8:01 pm

Win more games

Sat Nov 03, 2012 8:01 pm

Earlier changes.

Frei earlier but instead of the ineffective Cowie.

Mason was never going to beat Knight or Mills against a negative Bolton side, Gestede on earlier because we caused more havoc and panic again when he came on.

Gunnarsson despite being a super sub was very bad today, cost us the second goal with very lazy tackling, poor.

Sat Nov 03, 2012 8:03 pm

Ask Tonteg Bluebird. He's the FM geek.

Sat Nov 03, 2012 8:04 pm

We definitely felt a bit lightweight up front but we couldn't have dropped mason after scoring last week and if we're going two upfront we'd have to use Rudy instead of Helguson and I think he showed exactly what contribution he would make. :roll:

I would have liked to have seen Velikonja sitting on the defender's shoulders with Mason in a number 10 role but as we've not seen Velikonja yet i don't know whether that would have helped or not...

Would have also made the Frei change about ten minutes earlier.

Sat Nov 03, 2012 8:05 pm

seanmogs wrote:Well id start with going for the win instead of using boring negative tactics. We are concentrating on defending instead of attacking, hoofed it constantly and brought pressure on ourselves. If we tried to play football and go for as many goals as possible(like we do at home) then maybe we might start winning away.

You can't say we played hoofball or negative today mate, we had the ball in good positions but if anything there wasnt enough movement in the box.
Sometimes it seems to me that people just repeat the popular mantra on here at times!

Sat Nov 03, 2012 8:05 pm

[quote="Gavlar"]Lots of 'Football Manager 2013' coaches on here as ever, lets hear it then, whats the solution to the issues we have away from home, lets have a decent breakdown from you.

lets avoid the one line of tactics like 'replace HH with Velikonja' etc etc, make it a decent size and well thought out solution.[/quote

Give me the job as his assistant manager :lol:

Sat Nov 03, 2012 8:10 pm

thehumblegringo wrote:
seanmogs wrote:Well id start with going for the win instead of using boring negative tactics. We are concentrating on defending instead of attacking, hoofed it constantly and brought pressure on ourselves. If we tried to play football and go for as many goals as possible(like we do at home) then maybe we might start winning away.

You can't say we played hoofball or negative today mate, we had the ball in good positions but if anything there wasnt enough movement in the box.
Sometimes it seems to me that people just repeat the popular mantra on here at times!

Oh yes i can. How many times did the defence and GK lump it up to mason/HH v Knight !? Too many times.

We only started controlling things and playing well when we went for it. Should be going for the win from start to finish, these away tactics are going to cost us promotion. Play the same home tactics at away games and we will be fine.

Sat Nov 03, 2012 8:15 pm

seanmogs wrote:
thehumblegringo wrote:

Oh yes i can. How many times did the defence and GK lump it up to mason/HH v Knight !? Too many times.

We only started controlling things and playing well when we went for it. Should be going for the win from start to finish, these away tactics are going to cost us promotion. Play the same home tactics at away games and we will be fine.

We controlled the game in the first half and kept the ball on the deck. They came at us 2nd half and we weathered the storm and looked comfortable until ngog came on who tore us a new arsehole!
Then with 10 minutes to go we went all guns blazing but that happens in every game up and down the country when a team are 1 goal behind with 10 minutes to go!
No team does that for 90 minutes it just not realistic

Sat Nov 03, 2012 8:15 pm

Get in someone with more managerial experience to help Malky learn a bit more. Lennie Lawrence would have been ideal but could always try someone like Rednapp.

Sat Nov 03, 2012 8:17 pm

Gavlar wrote:Lots of 'Football Manager 2013' coaches on here as ever, lets hear it then, whats the solution to the issues we have away from home, lets have a decent breakdown from you.

I would play 4-5-1 with Noone and Frei on the wings. 4-5-1 is no problem whatsoever as long as we have 2 pacey, skillful, creative wingers to support the front man. We can then have a choice of Cowie, Gunnarsson or Mutch as the 2 holding midfielders and Whittingham pushing on to support Helguson along with the wingers. Defensively we will have a packed midfield to break up play and win possession, then when we get possession we can spray the ball wide to our flying wingers to get at them and create. When the ball is worked wide, Gunnarsson can make his late runs into the box from deep as he's been doing to score his goals lately, Whittingham can hover on the edge waiting for the loose ball and Cowie can sit and hold and use his phenomenal engine to protect the back four and snuff out any counter attack. Our problem with 4-5-1 away from home so far is one of our wingers plays more like a centre midfielder, we need two out and out wingers giving width for a 4-5-1, otherwise we may as well play 4-4-2.

I think 4-4-2 is too open away from home, unless we have Jordon Mutch in the middle, I think we can get way with 4-4-2 away from home with Mutch in there as he is the complete box to box midfielder at this level imo. But playing 4-4-2 away from home means we need one of the wide men playing more narrow to stop us getting overrun, having both Frei and Noone on the wings for a 4-4-2 will mean we will most likely get overrun in midfield, meaning one of our wide men must be a player who can tuck in and help the middle two when needed. Tommy Smith is the perfect 4-4-2 wide man to allow Noone/Frei/Bellamy the freedom to cause havoc on the opposite wing. That's my opinion, anyone agree/disagree? :ayatollah:

Sat Nov 03, 2012 8:18 pm

How much FM do you actually play? :shock:

Sun Nov 04, 2012 6:26 pm

Cwmann_Bluebird wrote:How much FM do you actually play? :shock:

Was that comment directed at me? I haven't even bought the new FM yet and I saw someone else posting recently saying he had the game 2 weeks early and is already in his 4th season. :lol:

Sun Nov 04, 2012 6:29 pm

f**k them all off and bring in 11 andy leggs :ayatollah:

Sun Nov 04, 2012 6:43 pm

Get another manager for away games.

Sun Nov 04, 2012 6:43 pm

Go 433 way from home. Agree 442 leave us light in the middle.

---------- HH -----------
Noone Bellamy/smith

Whitts Kiss Mutch

back 4

Mon Nov 05, 2012 12:39 am

Play Bellers ;) :ayatollah:

Mon Nov 05, 2012 12:41 am

Use the same tactics as we use at home. And keep Gestede away from the matchday squad.

Mon Nov 05, 2012 1:02 am

Play Whitts as an attacking Midfielder. Look there are many players at the Club that can play the defensive roll icluding Cowie. But who can play the attacking Midfielder better than Whitts ? Nobody. In fact no one in the Championship especially Cowie. Whitts is a game changer and a game winner so use him.

Craig Conway to me is also a cracking player and is also a better winger than fooking Cowie. So at the moment i would go with.

............................................................Marshall......................................................................

Mcnaughton....................Hudson...........................................Connolly.............................Taylor

..............................................................Gunnerson...................................................................

Conway...............................................................................................................................Noone

..............................................................Whittingham.................................................................

..........................................Mason..................................Velikonja...............................................

Mon Nov 05, 2012 1:29 am

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/20199098

Tue Nov 06, 2012 1:10 am

Sack Malky hire Dave Jones. Simple.

:old:

Tue Nov 06, 2012 1:15 am

Mario Polotelli wrote:Get another manager for away games.

:lol: fair play, that really made me laugh

Tue Nov 06, 2012 7:07 am

Die Walkure wrote:
Mario Polotelli wrote:Get another manager for away games.

:lol: fair play, that really made me laugh

:lol: :lol: But that sounds a really good idea :D

Tue Nov 06, 2012 11:17 am

1. Utilise the pace and trickery of both Noone and Frei by starting them both out wide. Pathetic bringing on Frei with 8 minutes to go.

2. Ban Whittingham from playing too deep. He is the best "ATTACKING" midfielder in the league. All our opponents fear him, so use him as such. Whenever we lose, you can bet your boots Whitts has been playing tippy tappy with Hudson and Turner, which results in either CB hoofing the ball long and high. Using Gestede gives us a chance against 6'3 defenders, but Helguson, Mason and Velikonja would rarely get any joy.

Don't think either McNaughton or Taylor are good enough. Would make room for Cowie at LB.
Would prefer Kiss over Gunnarsson playing just in front of the back 4 to break up play. Reason being, is that I consider Kiss to be better on the ball for distribution, more height so better defensively on opposing corners and set plays and still a good engine on him.

I'd play a 4-1-4-1 formation away from home. Which changes to 4-1-2-3 when attacking.

......................................Marshall..................................

Connolly...............Hudson..................Turner...............Cowie

........................................Kiss.....................................

Noone..................Kimbo...............Whittingham..............Frei

..................................Velikonja/Gestede..........................

Pace a plenty and keep the ball on the deck with Velikonja... option to play it long with Gestede.

Tue Nov 06, 2012 12:17 pm

Simple.............sack Mackay

Tue Nov 06, 2012 3:00 pm

Think Malky had the formation etc. right against Bolton, the problem was the players get too worried about making mistakes and instead of playing our normal game we end up hoofing it forward. Turner especially, everytime he was on the ball he would boot it aimlessly upfield, and with Helguson and Mason we were never going to make anything of it. As soon as we got the ball on the ground we were effective, as that's the style Mason can play and Helguson when he wants to. I don't know if it's Malky telling them or just the players doing it but it needs to change.

Tue Nov 06, 2012 3:04 pm

I like 4-4-2 but without Bellamy and Maynard im not so sure it works that well away from home.

IMO 4-5-1 wasnt working because we lacked pace and players who could run with the ball, stick Noone and Frei wide and a bit more freedom and it gives the team a new look.

Tue Nov 06, 2012 3:07 pm

Play bellers away instead at home give home team problems which will help. City don't. Need him at home because teams auto. Play defensevly so he wont be needed in attack