Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Why isn't Frei coming on?

Sat Nov 03, 2012 7:01 pm

We need pace, flair and creativity to get back into this, and Frei is being left on the bench! Hudson has had an absolute shocker second half, he's constantly giving the ball away and N'gog is tearing him apart.

Re: Why isn't Frei coming on?

Sat Nov 03, 2012 7:07 pm

Because malky's got a big bet on Palace to win the title
by the looks

Sat Nov 03, 2012 7:09 pm

I've said several times on here hudson He will occasional give you a good game,
he also has really bad performances.. at least once in every 3/4 games
he's part reason we always concede and drop crucial points that have before now cost promotion.
without being too harsh

Sat Nov 03, 2012 7:11 pm

sloper_road_legend wrote:I've said several times on here hudson He will occasional give you a good game,
he's part reason we always concede and drop crucial points that have before now cost promotion.
without being too harsh

Agree I like the guy and he has improved alot but would like to see Connolley and Turner together.

Sat Nov 03, 2012 7:20 pm

CjBluebird17 wrote:
sloper_road_legend wrote:I've said several times on here hudson He will occasional give you a good game,
without being too harsh

Agree I like the guy and he has improved alot but would like to see Connolley and Turner together.

Totally agree with both of you. We are fine at home as we attack and dominate most games, but away from home when we are under the cosh Hudson in my opinion is the least reliable of the 3 centre backs.

Sat Nov 03, 2012 7:38 pm

Tonteg Bluebird wrote:
CjBluebird17 wrote:
without being too harsh

Totally agree with both of you. We are fine at home as we attack and dominate most games, but away from home when we are under the cosh Hudson in my opinion is the least reliable of the 3 centre backs.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

So Ben Turner playing the ball long at every opportunity makes him reliable?

Sat Nov 03, 2012 7:43 pm

Cwmann_Bluebird wrote:
Tonteg Bluebird wrote:
CjBluebird17 wrote:
without being too harsh

I would rather have a centre back playing it long instead of continuously giving the ball away in dangerous areas to put us on the back foot like Hudson did for the majority of the second half. I'm assuming you didn't watch the second half or you don't have much of a clue about football. :lol:

Sat Nov 03, 2012 8:02 pm

Tonteg Bluebird wrote:
Cwmann_Bluebird wrote:
Tonteg Bluebird wrote:
CjBluebird17 wrote:
without being too harsh

I would rather have a centre back playing it long instead of continuously giving the ball away in dangerous areas to put us on the back foot like Hudson did for the majority of the second half. I'm assuming you didn't watch the second half or you don't have much of a clue about football. :lol:

Really? So you'd rather Turner giving it away again and again than Hudson actually finding a teammate? And he finds a teammate when he plays the ball long as well as when he plays it short.

I did watch the second half, actually. And Hudson did give it away, occasionally. But Turner was even worse during the first period.

Sat Nov 03, 2012 8:25 pm

Cwmann_Bluebird wrote:
Tonteg Bluebird wrote:
Cwmann_Bluebird wrote:
Tonteg Bluebird wrote:
CjBluebird17 wrote:
without being too harsh

Really? So you'd rather Turner giving it away again and again than Hudson actually finding a teammate? And he finds a teammate when he plays the ball long as well as when he plays it short.

I did watch the second half, actually. And Hudson did give it away, occasionally. But Turner was even worse during the first period.

Firstly I apologise for my snide comment, but after you did a line of laughing smileys I felt you deserved that response. Hudson in the second half gave numerous hospital passes to give possession away in dangerous positions. I take your point Turner hits it long an awful lot, he hit a few diagonals to Noone in the first half where Noone was never going to win the ariel challenge, but the majority of balls like that are what I call percentage balls which resulted in Warnock beating Noone in the air, but because he was under pressure he resulted in heading the ball out for a throw or back to one of our players. Hudson at times I feel thinks he's a better footballer than he is, late on he tried doing a cryuff turn which he messed up and N'gog took the ball off him and broke away. I just think at times Hudson overplays and I would rather a defender play it long and safe when in doubt instead of playing a suicidal pass to put us under pressure.

Sat Nov 03, 2012 8:41 pm

Decent comments, fair play. But I'm not sure about Warnock heading the ball straight back to City etc. It seemed to be in Bolton's possession straight after Turner played it long.

I was only laughing because the stuff about Hudson is so obviously knee-jerk. Admittedly, he wasn't great in the second half as regards passing, but did anyone of our players handle N'Gog anything close to well? Don't think so.

Sat Nov 03, 2012 9:00 pm

Cwmann_Bluebird wrote:Decent comments, fair play. But I'm not sure about Warnock heading the ball straight back to City etc. It seemed to be in Bolton's possession straight after Turner played it long.

I was only laughing because the stuff about Hudson is so obviously knee-jerk. Admittedly, he wasn't great in the second half as regards passing, but did anyone of our players handle N'Gog anything close to well? Don't think so.

I'm not disputing Bolton won back possession a lot when Turner hit it long. I remember Turner unnecessarily hitting a long diagonal in the first half which resulted in Bolton winning possession, breaking and then Turner had to get back to header the cross out for a corner. I'm just trying to explain the thinking behind Turner sometimes hitting a long diagonal, I remember De Vries aiming his goal kicks to Nathan Dyer (sorry to bring those into this) for similar reasons. Dyer was never going to win the header, but Dyer's job was to do enough to pressure our left back into heading the ball out to concede a throw deep into our own half.

To be honest I think Hudson has improved a lot since his early days and I wouldn't drop him, overall he is clearly one of our key players who have got us top of the league. But I think Turner and Connolly are also two excellent centre backs and with us shipping goals away from home and Hudson's poor second half, I would very much like to see Turner and Connolly being given a go in the centre together. I wouldn't change things just yet mind, I would wait until Hudson picks up his 5th booking so he's suspended, then give Turner and Connolly a go in the middle together to see how they do.

Sat Nov 03, 2012 9:05 pm

Tonteg Bluebird wrote:
Cwmann_Bluebird wrote:Decent comments, fair play. But I'm not sure about Warnock heading the ball straight back to City etc. It seemed to be in Bolton's possession straight after Turner played it long.

I'm not disputing Bolton won back possession a lot when Turner hit it long. I remember Turner unnecessarily hitting a long diagonal in the first half which resulted in Bolton winning possession, breaking and then Turner had to get back to header the cross out for a corner. I'm just trying to explain the thinking behind Turner sometimes hitting a long diagonal, I remember De Vries aiming his goal kicks to Nathan Dyer (sorry to bring those into this) for similar reasons. Dyer was never going to win the header, but Dyer's job was to do enough to pressure our left back into heading the ball out to concede a throw deep into our own half.

To be honest I think Hudson has improved a lot since his early days and I wouldn't drop him, overall he is clearly one of our key players who have got us top of the league. But I think Turner and Connolly are also two excellent centre backs and with us shipping goals away from home and Hudson's poor second half, I would very much like to see Turner and Connolly being given a go in the centre together. I wouldn't change things just yet mind, I would wait until Hudson picks up his 5th booking so he's suspended, then give Turner and Connolly a go in the middle togetehr to see how they do.

I agree with your thinking regarding the percentage balls stuff. I remember last season, Turner's long diagonal passes were spot on a lot of the time, but it's clear that it's not really working that much anymore.

Forgotten about the fifth booking. I suppose you'll get your wish soon enough. Hudson will probably still come back in to the side after he serves his suspension, though.

Sat Nov 03, 2012 9:10 pm

Cwmann_Bluebird wrote:
Tonteg Bluebird wrote:

To be honest I think Hudson has improved a lot since his early days and I wouldn't drop him, overall he is clearly one of our key players who have got us top of the league. But I think Turner and Connolly are also two excellent centre backs and with us shipping goals away from home and Hudson's poor second half, I would very much like to see Turner and Connolly being given a go in the centre together. I wouldn't change things just yet mind, I would wait until Hudson picks up his 5th booking so he's suspended, then give Turner and Connolly a go in the middle togetehr to see how they do.

I agree with your thinking regarding the percentage balls stuff. I remember last season, Turner's long diagonal passes were spot on a lot of the time, but it's clear that it's not really working that much anymore.

Forgotten about the fifth booking. I suppose you'll get your wish soon enough. Hudson will probably still come back in to the side after he serves his suspension, though.

I agree Hudson will probably come straight back in, but nobody expected Turner to be kept on the bench, so when Hudson gets suspended it will be up to McNaughton, who I assume will step in at right back to do enough to keep his place. Personally I would continue playing all 3 of them mind as I still think we are weak in the full back department. Connolly has been a fantastic signing with his versatility.

Sat Nov 03, 2012 9:11 pm

Tonteg Bluebird wrote:
Cwmann_Bluebird wrote:
Tonteg Bluebird wrote:

I agree Hudson will probably come straight back in, but nobody expected Turner to be kept on the bench, so when Hudson gets suspended it will be up to McNaughton, who I assume will step in at right back to do enough to keep his place. Personally I would continue playing all 3 of them mind as I still think we are weak in the full back department. Connolly has been a fantastic signing with his versatility.

I thought Connolly was great last week. Good footballer.

Sat Nov 03, 2012 9:12 pm

Cwmann_Bluebird wrote:
Tonteg Bluebird wrote:
Cwmann_Bluebird wrote:
Tonteg Bluebird wrote:

I thought Connolly was great last week. Good footballer.

Very good footballer, as much as I love McNaughton, Connolly is much bettter distributing the ball at right back.