Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Velikonja hatrick gives Malky food for thought

Thu Nov 01, 2012 5:18 am

SLOVENIAN striker Etien Velikonja believes his hat-trick for the Cardiff City Under-21 development side underlines his current sharpness.

Velikonja – who spoke of his frustration about his lack of game-time in these pages yesterday – fired in a hat-trick in the 4-0 victory over Millwall on Tuesday night.

Bluebirds boss Malky Mackay watched from the stand as Velikonja collected the match ball after beating experienced goalkeeper Steve Mildenhall three times.

“I truly believe I can be back in the first team pretty soon and - The 23-year-old – who has just overcome a hamstring injury – was only denied two more by brilliant saves.

“It felt good to see the ball go in, I hope it made the manager smile,” said Velikonja.

“It was almost four and could have been five, but I have to be satisfied with three.

“I felt sharp and ready, but then the injury kept me out for a few weeks.

“That came at the wrong time, but I’m back to full fitness and I hope I showed that with my performance against Millwall.”

Velikonja, one of four over-age players against Millwall, fired his first with a clinical low finish from Kerim Frei’s ball.

Then he headed a second from Luke Coulson’s cross and then struck again with a left-foot shot inside the penalty area.

It has been frustrating for Velikonja – who has made only two substitute appearances in the first team so far – but he takes heart from Kim Bo-Kyung’s highly promising debut in the 4-0 win over Burnley.

“Kim waited patiently and took his chance when it came,” said Velikonja, a £1m signing from Slovenian club Maribor.

“It’s difficult coming from one country to another and settling in, but Kim has shown you have to be ready.

“I am keen to play as soon as possible, but Cardiff are top of the Championship and, having been injured, I can’t complain about having to wait.

“But I am delighted to have scored three in front of the manager.

“I’ve been training hard and when the time is right I am sure he will give me the nod.”

Read More http://www.walesonline.co.uk/footballna ... z2AwfEt0SN

Re: Velikonja hatrick gives Malky food for thought

Thu Nov 01, 2012 5:26 am

A clinical and natural goal scorer would complete the jigsaw for us, lets hope Velikonja proves to be that player!

Thu Nov 01, 2012 7:24 am

He looked damn good and very sharp against Newcastle, we've all been wondering what was wrong with using him, maybe now's the time (at least as a using sub) or his form will go!

You can;t keep using HH for 70 minutes or more or he'll burn out!

But wait - will the dreaded 4-5-1 SHITE return at Bolton?

Thu Nov 01, 2012 6:40 pm

those who were there tuesday all seem to say the same thing ....quote his movement/link play good 3 good finishes never hid but sharpness not there cuold of had at least 3/4 more ...not really his fault as hes not getting match time to get sharp...problem as i see it gestede infront of him at present, as gestede offers something different ...ettien is competing with helguson and mason ....gestede haters please dont reply as ive heard it all before and malky picks the team and subs and tactics anyway :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Thu Nov 01, 2012 6:51 pm

troobloo3339 wrote:those who were there tuesday all seem to say the same thing ....quote his movement/link play good 3 good finishes never hid but sharpness not there cuold of had at least 3/4 more ...not really his fault as hes not getting match time to get sharp...problem as i see it gestede infront of him at present, as gestede offers something different ...ettien is competing with helguson and mason ....gestede haters please dont reply as ive heard it all before and malky picks the team and subs and tactics anyway :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

It seems absoloutely insane to me he should not play if hes fit and we have helguson 4-5-1 with gustede on the bench ready to come on,

Friendly or no friendly he scored against decent premier league defenders against newcastle, i'm sure as hes a 20 goals a season striker he could be a points winner for us in away games

Thu Nov 01, 2012 6:58 pm

think it was bristol he came on and looked well off it to be fair ,,,,im not saying gestede is a world beeater but games seem to go in our favour when he comes on and you cant drop helguson or mason at the moment ....but malky wont have spent over £1 million on a no hoper time will tell :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Thu Nov 01, 2012 7:04 pm

Some comments......which are so easy to say by all of us.....make me laugh at times.

"He could have had 3/4 more". How often do we talk about strikers getting 7 goals a match, regardless if they're reserve games or not.

The most you can ask of your strikers is a hat-trick. He should be getting considered for a sub appearence Saturday.

Thu Nov 01, 2012 7:17 pm

well he did actually have that many opportunities .......he failed to score from the same type of chances that he scored from ...you work it out :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: im only giving my oppinion :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Thu Nov 01, 2012 7:40 pm

sloper_road_legend wrote:
troobloo3339 wrote:those who were there tuesday all seem to say the same thing ....quote his movement/link play good 3 good finishes never hid but sharpness not there cuold of had at least 3/4 more ...not really his fault as hes not getting match time to get sharp...problem as i see it gestede infront of him at present, as gestede offers something different ...ettien is competing with helguson and mason ....gestede haters please dont reply as ive heard it all before and malky picks the team and subs and tactics anyway :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

It seems absoloutely insane to me he should not play if hes fit and we have helguson 4-5-1 with gustede on the bench ready to come on,

Friendly or no friendly he scored against decent premier league defenders against newcastle, i'm sure as hes a 20 goals a season striker he could be a points winner for us in away games

Agreed give the guy a chance, then we will all know how good he is !!

Thu Nov 01, 2012 7:51 pm

Well that comment about having been injured should put a few people straight as to why he wasn't playing. :D

Will be like a new signing now, and lets hope he's sharp as we are going to need options up front over the coming months- especially with Maynard's injury.

Thu Nov 01, 2012 10:43 pm

If hes taking his chances then thats what we need.

People questioned his performance depsite scoring a hat trick?

How often did we come out of games saying Miller could have 1? 2? 3? But didn't get one.