Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

just got back from the reserves

Tue Oct 30, 2012 9:31 pm

left as Jarvis scored the third but had seen enough to suggest that if any of the 1st team squad are out injured we have capable back up.

Granted the opposition weren't much cop but you can only beat what's in front of you and they were doing that with ease.

For those interested:

1. Joe Lewis....not much to do but nearly let one 25 yarder creep in (went through his hands on to the bar)
2. Luke Coulson...pacey and set up Velikonja for his 2nd.
3. Declan John....very impressive especially going forward. Taylor should be worried.
4. Joe Ralls....tidy in the middle of the park
5. Adedeji Oshilaja...got stuck in but was not a patch on Nugent
6. Ben Nugent....looks quality.
7. Kerim Frei.....you can see he has undoubted ability. Quick as f*ck too.
8. Nat Jarvis.....looked a bit lost but grew as the game went on. Scored.
9. Etien Velikonja....can now see why he isn't on the bench. Not fully up to speed, my mate described him as a poor man's Berbatov! Slightly harsh as I thought he was willing just the things he was trying weren't coming off. That said, he took his goals really well and could have scored at least 2 more.
10. Stephen McPhail...alongside Ralls bossed midfield for the time he was on.
11. Craig Conway....always an outlet. Never frightened to take people on, but he looks far more comfortable cutting in off the left hand side than cutting in off the right. You can see he always is trying to get it on his right peg.

All in all, I was suitably impressed with what I saw! :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Re: just got back from the reserves

Tue Oct 30, 2012 9:48 pm

It ended 4-0 with Velikonja scoring a hat trick, took his goals well but did very little else, Nugent and John were very impressive :ayatollah:

Tue Oct 30, 2012 9:49 pm

thanks for the report
these development games will do wonders for velikonja,always great to hear stephen mcphail on the road back aswell
:ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Tue Oct 30, 2012 9:50 pm

carlccfc wrote:It ended 4-0 with Velikonja scoring a hat trick, took his goals well but did very little else, Nugent and John were very impressive :ayatollah:

This could be why MM isn't panic stricken about th cover in defence.

Tue Oct 30, 2012 9:50 pm

[quote="carlccfc"]It ended 4-0 with Velikonja scoring a hat trick, took his goals well but did very little else, Nugent and John were very impressive :ayatollah:[/quote

sign of a good striker that
very confident he will score goals for the 1st team aswell

Tue Oct 30, 2012 10:05 pm

That's one hell of a 'development' side :shock:

Tue Oct 30, 2012 10:07 pm

Great to see McPhail back. A class act.

Tue Oct 30, 2012 10:07 pm

Is Kiss to old for the squad?

Tue Oct 30, 2012 10:10 pm

2blue2handle wrote:Is Kiss to old for the squad?

not 100% sure to be honest but i was thinking the same, that he may have got some game time.

Our midfield is seriously strong when you think about it.

Tue Oct 30, 2012 10:10 pm

No, but may be on the bench on Saturday.

I'm just steeling myself for all the posts saying Velikonja should be starting before HH now :lol:

Tue Oct 30, 2012 10:11 pm

Kiss was there, he was sat up in the stand.

Tue Oct 30, 2012 10:11 pm

Sorry mate but i got to disagree with you about velikonja tonight! He scored 3 and his movement was excellent. He always offered himself and you could see instantly that Kareem Frei enjoyed playing with him. His 1st was an excellent finish across the keeper, he should have had a definite penalty and he was unfortunate not to score when he got in front of the centre half to get on the end of a Coulson cross.
His play with his back to goal has improved from his pre-season games and i think he's not far off being ready to start (especially 4-4-2).

I thought Coulson (on trial from Man City i believe) looked very good. He never wasted the ball and always looked to get forward.

Declan John was very good too, and Frei has a lot to offer.

Tue Oct 30, 2012 10:21 pm

thehumblegringo wrote:Sorry mate but i got to disagree with you about velikonja tonight! He scored 3 and his movement was excellent. He always offered himself and you could see instantly that Kareem Frei enjoyed playing with him. His 1st was an excellent finish across the keeper, he should have had a definite penalty and he was unfortunate not to score when he got in front of the centre half to get on the end of a Coulson cross.
His play with his back to goal has improved from his pre-season games and i think he's not far off being ready to start (especially 4-4-2).

I thought Coulson (on trial from Man City i believe) looked very good. He never wasted the ball and always looked to get forward.

Regarding velikonja, I may have been a tad harsh because having heard so much about him in pre season & seen the goals he has scored on Youtube (not a good reflection but goals are goals!) I just thought he was a bit off the pace on times. I do agree he should've had a pen & he took his first goal very well. I didn't agree with my mate who thought he was lazy & uninterested though.

Tue Oct 30, 2012 10:30 pm

he was lazy and uninterested and scored a hat trick :lol: :lol: he ll do for us

Tue Oct 30, 2012 10:33 pm

BobBankLoyalist wrote:
thehumblegringo wrote:Sorry mate but i got to disagree with you about velikonja tonight! He scored 3 and his movement was excellent. He always offered himself and you could see instantly that Kareem Frei enjoyed playing with him. His 1st was an excellent finish across the keeper, he should have had a definite penalty and he was unfortunate not to score when he got in front of the centre half to get on the end of a Coulson cross.

Regarding velikonja, I may have been a tad harsh because having heard so much about him in pre season & seen the goals he has scored on Youtube (not a good reflection but goals are goals!) I just thought he was a bit off the pace on times. I do agree he should've had a pen & he took his first goal very well. I didn't agree with my mate who thought he was lazy & uninterested though.

I honestly dont know what you were expecting. He's a proper centre forward. He plays on the shoulder of defenders, makes little runs to get a yard of space inside the box and is clinical in front of goal. If i may be blunt, he's like earnie but 10 times better, better touch, better awareness and better link up play!

Tue Oct 30, 2012 10:43 pm

thehumblegringo wrote:
BobBankLoyalist wrote:

I honestly dont know what you were expecting. He's a proper centre forward. He plays on the shoulder of defenders, makes little runs to get a yard of space inside the box and is clinical in front of goal. If i may be blunt, he's like earnie but 10 times better, better touch, better awareness and better link up play!

I didn't know what to expect either :lol:
I'm not disagreeing with you at all. He wasn't as quick as I thought he would be, and some of the passes he was trying weren't coming off but to his credit he never went hiding. I'm not knocking him - and he would certainly be ahead of Rudy in my striking pecking order. My earlier comment on that I can see why he hasn't seen much 1st team action, I meant not harshly, but on a Saturday he will come up against far better players than Millwall reserve players and I'm not sure he's fully ready yet. Only a small opinion as it's the first time I've seen him. I hope he comes through and scores shit loads for us :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: !!!!!

Tue Oct 30, 2012 10:44 pm

I thought Etien took his goals well and there were a few good performances, John looked good and Frei did well, I was also lucky enough to sit by two very pleasant ladies, Craig Conway's wife and Joe Lewis' fiancee, the diamonds were glistening under the flood lights, fair play they were very chatty girls.

Tue Oct 30, 2012 11:01 pm

nobber wrote:I thought Etien took his goals well and there were a few good performances, John looked good and Frei did well, I was also lucky enough to sit by two very pleasant ladies, Craig Conway's wife and Joe Lewis' fiancee, the diamonds were glistening under the flood lights, fair play they were very chatty girls.

Were they fit?

Tue Oct 30, 2012 11:04 pm

2blue2handle wrote:
nobber wrote:I thought Etien took his goals well and there were a few good performances, John looked good and Frei did well, I was also lucky enough to sit by two very pleasant ladies, Craig Conway's wife and Joe Lewis' fiancee, the diamonds were glistening under the flood lights, fair play they were very chatty girls.

Were they fit?

Definitely attractive ladies as you would expect. ;)

Tue Oct 30, 2012 11:06 pm

nobber wrote:
2blue2handle wrote:

Were they fit?

You Lucky boy them :lol: be glad you weren't say next to marshals wife ;)

Tue Oct 30, 2012 11:10 pm

2blue2handle wrote:
nobber wrote:
2blue2handle wrote:

Were they fit?

You Lucky boy them :lol: be glad you weren't say next to marshals wife ;)

Why, is she not a looker then?

Tue Oct 30, 2012 11:16 pm

Put it this way, even I wouldn't :lol:

Tue Oct 30, 2012 11:17 pm

BobBankLoyalist wrote:
thehumblegringo wrote:
BobBankLoyalist wrote:

I didn't know what to expect either :lol:
I'm not disagreeing with you at all. He wasn't as quick as I thought he would be, and some of the passes he was trying weren't coming off but to his credit he never went hiding. I'm not knocking him - and he would certainly be ahead of Rudy in my striking pecking order. My earlier comment on that I can see why he hasn't seen much 1st team action, I meant not harshly, but on a Saturday he will come up against far better players than Millwall reserve players and I'm not sure he's fully ready yet. Only a small opinion as it's the first time I've seen him. I hope he comes through and scores shit loads for us :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: !!!!!

Ok mate. I think he's totally different to rudy and both will serve different purposes. I'd like to see him alongside mason to ve honest as i think mason is very good with his back to goal. Velikonja isn't lightning quick but he isn't slow either but i think his movement in the box is excellent. :ayatollah:

Tue Oct 30, 2012 11:27 pm

2blue2handle wrote:Put it this way, even I wouldn't :lol:

Fair enough Luke, she must be one for Halloween. :shock:

Tue Oct 30, 2012 11:29 pm

nobber wrote:
2blue2handle wrote:Put it this way, even I wouldn't :lol:

Fair enough Luke, she must be one for Halloween. :shock:

:lol:

Wed Oct 31, 2012 12:01 am

http://www.cardiffcityfc.co.uk//news/ar ... l#anchored

Wed Oct 31, 2012 2:37 am

Are we all missing the point here??

He's a striker and he scored a hat-trick.

In any game he would have been man of the match

Great thought - somebody who knows where then net is, gagging to
get on the pitch for the first team.

Wed Oct 31, 2012 6:56 am

taffyapple wrote:Are we all missing the point here??

Here here dave here f*cking here. Hopefully he will line up with helguson sat :ayatollah:

Wed Oct 31, 2012 7:22 am

bluebird1977 wrote:
taffyapple wrote:Are we all missing the point here??

Here here dave here f*cking here. Hopefully he will line up with helguson sat :ayatollah:

That's what i'm trying to say. If people are expecting him to take people on like messi they will be disappointed but if they are looking for someone who comes alive in the 18 yard box then they will be very happy.

I would never drop mason on saturday though, i thought he had a great game against burnley. :ayatollah:

Wed Oct 31, 2012 8:31 am

I just wonder on here sometimes.

Helgusson has ploughed a lone furrow up front for much of the season, and gets so
much flak its untrue. Yet his goals per game average is fast approaching 1 in 2.

Yet Nicky Maynard comes here, plays a few games and doesnt score, but everyone
can somehow 'see' he's making great runs, finding space, so he is forgiven for his
blank start (as he should be)

Now Velikonja scores a hat-trick in a game and still gets criticised??

Its as if a portion of our supporters wont accept that not all strikers need to be speedsters

Ask Millwalls defenders what Velikonja's running was like, how easy he was to pick
up.

Kenny Dalglish, Mickey Quinn, John Aldridge to name a few... lacked pace. But were absolutely superb forwards...
Cos the first five yards was in their heads