Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

old songs back in the stands to get that ninian feeling

Tue Oct 30, 2012 3:16 pm

im new on here but been a city fan my whole life , 29 years , my main memorys of ninian park are the old popular songs over the years which were easy to sing to or join in humming to , to me this made the atmosphere at ninian park , i here people moaning about the atmosphere in the ground now but i believe its down to the fact hardly anybody knows the words to the new breed of songs sang so will not get involved , when an old song goes round most of the ground gets involved , i cant remember the last time i heard hey jude ring round the ground properly during a game or men of harlech (only before ) which unsuprisingly gets everybody up because they feel comfortable getting involved ! what happened to the old late nineties songs that were fun ,ie he wears a magic hat , i love u baby ( da da, da da, da da , dada ), ring of fire , hey jude ,one man and his dog , na na nana hey hey hey cardiff city , born under a cardiff star !! bring them back and watch the life flow back into the fans !!!!!! where still the old fans from ninian with a few added we should have a classics day at the ground and sing random old songs just to cheer everybody up and get the old adrenaline flowing again !

Re: old songs back in the stands to get that ninian feeling

Tue Oct 30, 2012 3:49 pm

you might be on to something there mate well done :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Tue Oct 30, 2012 3:57 pm

it only takes a few to get them going again so yes, I too reckon you are on to something. :ayatollah:

I've read many many views on this - personally I think it went down hill with the introduction of all-seater stadiums.

Yes it's all well & good to say you can sing sitting or standing, but I put a lot of the blame down to the fact we have to sit in 75% of the ground. For 20 years+ I stood in the Bobbank - even when the top half went to seating I still stood in the bottom section as I preferred it.

If you listen to other teams supporters they all say the same. It's not just the CCS which has a dire atmosphere most of the time. Nearly all clubs are suffering...and again I blame the new stadia.

Tue Oct 30, 2012 3:58 pm

Need to get I'll be there back havent heard it sung in ages

Tue Oct 30, 2012 4:17 pm

The main trade mark one that I miss that should get going again is getting all the stands one by one to do the ayatollah, we used to do that every game in ninian park, we havent done that once this season.

I think it will stop people from having their arms crossed atleast :D

Tue Oct 30, 2012 4:24 pm

I got one from the sixties that should go down a storm,
Hi's name is Jimmy Scoular,he's the leader of the Blues
and when we play at Ninian Park we never ever lose
take us to division one cause that's were we belong
so when you see the boys in blue you know you can't go wrong.

Tue Oct 30, 2012 4:35 pm

I'll Be There
Do the Ayatollah, la la la la
One man and his dog
Hey Jude
Men of Harlech

Songs that need to go round more

Tue Oct 30, 2012 5:34 pm

we will have to get a classic city song day organised then see if we can put some smiles back on faces and get fans interacting with with eachother again , i really think it will work just need the announcer ali to get involved aswell with old school city songs before the game . hopefully it will carry on for the season and bring an atmosphere back without the need for huge banners and drums ! :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Tue Oct 30, 2012 6:57 pm

As i now take three of my kids in the family stand i find that i am one of the arms crossed brigade compared to many moons ago on the Grange bouncing and going home unable to talk from the singing and general abusing of the away section which i miss immensly and has got me thinking that it is the type of song that is acceptable nowadays compared to the songs we used to sing when we were renowned for our "hospitality" so to speak at Ninian is the difference. As our song collection of yesteryear was paramount to our reputation this new breed of fan that were not around in the dark days of six to ten thou crowds never experienced the delights of songs such as Harold Shipman is our friend and many other classics which would make every visitor to the old girl shit their pants and give us the advantage of creating an atmosphere of fear, unfortunatly it seems that those days are long gone and we do need to bring back some of the tamer songs for the new generation to get involved with to get the atmosphere going, i think that the club should allow a song starter like they do at european grounds with a megaphone getting the crowds going and encouraging singing and cheering the team on and thus teaching this new breed of fan how to support the team.