Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Etien Velikonja confident he will make an impact at Cardiff.

Tue Oct 30, 2012 1:30 am

Etien Velikonja is waiting for his chance to come at Cardiff City and remains confident he can make an impact with the Championship table-toppers.

The Slovenian joined Cardiff on a four-year contract in the summer from Maribor, but has appeared just twice as a substitute.

The striker has not featured in over two months and concedes he is not happy to be out of manager Malky Mackay's plans.

However, he believes he has a bright future in South Wales and the 23-year-old is prepared to bide his time before making the breakthrough.

"It is true that I have played less than I expected," Velikonja told Sportal.

"When I arrived in Cardiff, it was all excellent. I played in all the matches before the start of the season, I scored a goal at Newcastle United, but then it all changed.

"When I got back from Slovenia duty, I moved to the bench. I cannot be satisfied but my position is not alarming yet.

"I'm training good and I'm progressing. The club says that they are happy with me.

"I believe that I will soon get a chance. When I get it, I'll take it. It is not always the way you want it, but I do not lack self-confidence. I know that I will succeed."

Glad to see that he is so hungry to be playing - for me this would be the perfect time for Malky to give him his chance. He obviously is dying to play and will fully grasp any opportunity he gets to break into the team, bringing some good performances out of him. I wouldn't change the starting XI for Saturday, but I'd like to see Etien on the bench over Rudy, and hopefully get on and show what he can do.

Re: Etien Velikonja confident he will make an impact at Card

Tue Oct 30, 2012 1:34 am

This goes along with what MM says that he constantly speaks to the players

Tue Oct 30, 2012 8:30 am

i hope he gets his chance soon, i high hopes for him..

Tue Oct 30, 2012 8:38 am

Sounds a bit pissed off he's not playing. But not in a bad way. Yet another hungry
hungry fucker waiting to get unleashed on the Championship :)

Tue Oct 30, 2012 8:40 am

too hard to judge him really considering he hasnt played, would have thought he might have got more playing time than this though.

Tue Oct 30, 2012 9:06 am

paulh_85 wrote:too hard to judge him really considering he hasnt played, would have thought he might have got more playing time than this though.

His point of view is probably partly from knowing we are top of the league without him.

Footballers all want to play. But at the same time, when they do break into the side they
need to know they are not just filling in for injuries. If/when Helgusson gets a bit of a knock
or something, i'll be astonished if Malky goes with Gestede to replace him. It will be Velikonja!!

Rudy will never be more than an impact sub, sorry but its true

Tue Oct 30, 2012 9:58 am

taffyapple wrote:
paulh_85 wrote:too hard to judge him really considering he hasnt played, would have thought he might have got more playing time than this though.

His point of view is probably partly from knowing we are top of the league without him.

Footballers all want to play. But at the same time, when they do break into the side they
need to know they are not just filling in for injuries. If/when Helgusson gets a bit of a knock
or something, i'll be astonished if Malky goes with Gestede to replace him. It will be Velikonja!!

Rudy will never be more than an impact sub, sorry but its true

Nothing wrong with that sentiment, I agree, I wouldn't think Rudy will be starting in any games.

Tue Oct 30, 2012 10:44 am

We had to wait really for Kim Bo, saturday he was amazing, maybe MM is doing the same on Velikonja, i think once he gets hs chance he'll take it with both hands :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Tue Oct 30, 2012 11:11 am

I wish Malky would give him a chance.

Tue Oct 30, 2012 11:20 am

ozzy31 wrote:We had to wait really for Kim Bo, saturday he was amazing, maybe MM is doing the same on Velikonja, i think once he gets hs chance he'll take it with both hands :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

I agree. I'm expecting him to play at some point in December. Malky is slowly working them into the side after all they have never played in the UK before and I'm guessing he wanted to wait untill he was 100% sure they would make an impact

Tue Oct 30, 2012 12:20 pm

i think his first start will be barnsley away, for the reason its not the hardest game of the season and would b easier to get used to the game that way

Tue Oct 30, 2012 1:36 pm

maybe malkys bulking him up for the rigours of championship football all good things come to those who wait ;) :ayatollah:

Tue Oct 30, 2012 4:23 pm

Fa Cup run beginning of year, (early rounds at first for assessment) I can see Velikonja getting game time, unless we are ready to give him a few sub appearances before hand just to get him up to speed.

I've watched him play on BET365 live cams whilst having a little punt on Euro Football in the past, and can see he seems like a good signing at this stage as he was always sharp, full of running, tidy touches and scored goals, but we must remember that the slovenian league isn't as physical or demanding as our league so it will take a little time to adapt, or for Malky to feel he is ready to play first team action.

Tue Oct 30, 2012 5:25 pm

Been treated appalingly thus far

Tue Oct 30, 2012 5:28 pm

Mario Polotelli wrote:Been treated appalingly thus far

Why? He's said Malkys spoken to him and he's happy to be patient for his chance

Tue Oct 30, 2012 5:33 pm

CjBluebird17 wrote:

Hes just playing the politics saying that. If he slags off Malky to the press that wont help now will it.

He also said he thought he would have had more chances by now.

Tue Oct 30, 2012 5:35 pm

Mario Polotelli wrote:
CjBluebird17 wrote:

Hes just playing the politics saying that. If he slags off Malky to the press that wont help now will it.

He also said he thought he would have had more chances by now.

True I think we all do but if Malky has spoken to him about it you cant question that he's not being treated fairly.

Tue Oct 30, 2012 5:46 pm

Im allowed an opinion and I dont think the lads been treated well.

Tue Oct 30, 2012 5:47 pm

Mario Polotelli wrote:Im allowed an opinion and I dont think the lads been treated well.

I'm not saying you aren't I just disagree with you :lol:

Tue Oct 30, 2012 5:50 pm

We are not struggling to score goals though so theres no rush
He will get his chance and I honestly believe will be a top player for us
theres 33 games left remember :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Tue Oct 30, 2012 5:51 pm

CjBluebird17 wrote:
Mario Polotelli wrote:Im allowed an opinion and I dont think the lads been treated well.

I'm not saying you aren't I just disagree with you :lol:

Thats fine its your opinion.

Time will tell who was right or wrong.

Tue Oct 30, 2012 5:55 pm

Can't be best pleased really can he?

Played all the preseason games, and Scored v Newcastle, looking fit and sharp.

Then he doesn't get selected since.
He wasn't always a first team starter at Maribor, but He usually played every game at some stage if he wasn't starting.

Tue Oct 30, 2012 5:59 pm

Merlin wrote:Can't be best pleased really can he?

He wasn't always a first team starter at Maribor, but He usually played every game at some stage if he wasn't starting.

The dissapointing thing for me he was on the bench when we were cruising some home games so the chance to stick him on for 15 mins, bed him in slowly, but we put Cowie on.

I can understand Cowie v Leeds when shutting out game but Wolves and Blackpool were ideal. Burnley woyld av been ideal but he wasn even on the f*cking bench.

Tue Oct 30, 2012 7:52 pm

Mario Polotelli wrote:
Merlin wrote:Can't be best pleased really can he?

The dissapointing thing for me he was on the bench when we were cruising some home games so the chance to stick him on for 15 mins, bed him in slowly, but we put Cowie on.

I can understand Cowie v Leeds when shutting out game but Wolves and Blackpool were ideal. Burnley woyld av been ideal but he wasn even on the f*cking bench.

Because rudy is better :lol:

Tue Oct 30, 2012 8:01 pm

Merlin wrote:Fa Cup run beginning of year, (early rounds at first for assessment) I can see Velikonja getting game time, unless we are ready to give him a few sub appearances before hand just to get him up to speed.

I've watched him play on BET365 live cams whilst having a little punt on Euro Football in the past, and can see he seems like a good signing at this stage as he was always sharp, full of running, tidy touches and scored goals, but we must remember that the slovenian league isn't as physical or demanding as our league so it will take a little time to adapt, or for Malky to feel he is ready to play first team action.

maribor did ok against spurs drew 1-1

whats less physical about slovenian football?

they tackle just as hard.

Tue Oct 30, 2012 8:01 pm

He just scored v millwall

Tue Oct 30, 2012 8:21 pm

and another one :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

GO Eti GO :ayatollah:

Tue Oct 30, 2012 8:23 pm

SlovenianBluebird wrote:and another one :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

GO Eti GO :ayatollah: