Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Declan John and Ben Nugent

Mon Oct 29, 2012 7:55 pm

Do they have what it takes to step up to the first team if injuries happen?

Imo I don't think so and we need a full back or two brought in on loan for cover.

Re: Declan John and Ben Nugent

Mon Oct 29, 2012 7:59 pm

It's something I've wondered for a while.
I have no idea but looking in from the outside I think he has faith in Nugent to come in for a couple of games IF needed. A lon term injury we would prob see a loan.

Connelly and Kev are very versatile so we certainly have options and cover for a little knock.

Mon Oct 29, 2012 8:04 pm

too early to say ...but our coaching set up seems to think highly of them nugent needs to bulk up a bit as he is a centre half really ...john is very quick and skillfull and likes to go foreword but might be a wee bit short ( in hieght not ability) only time will tell ...for what its worth i think they both could do a job for us in an emergency :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Mon Oct 29, 2012 8:05 pm

Didn't Gunnar play fb for a game last season, could see he or Kiss involved in that area if needed.

Mon Oct 29, 2012 8:09 pm

And your opinion is based on what exactly?

Every time ive seen Declan John play, albeit for his own age group, hes been the best player on the pitch by a mile.

Mon Oct 29, 2012 8:10 pm

conway would be ok at fullback at home :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Mon Oct 29, 2012 8:11 pm

you stalking me polo :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Mon Oct 29, 2012 10:22 pm

Nugent is fantastic, stick him on the bench.

Mon Oct 29, 2012 10:26 pm

DandoCCFC wrote:Nugent is fantastic, stick him on the bench.

He was at the start of the season and I think he would be the one to come in again if we got an injury. ATM he isn't needed.

Mon Oct 29, 2012 10:36 pm

He was and having 1 defender on the bench out of 7 isn't exactly a postive thing.

Mon Oct 29, 2012 10:38 pm

DandoCCFC wrote:He was and having 1 defender on the bench out of 7 isn't exactly a postive thing.

How many defenders would you have?

I would say one is more than enough especially when you have versatile defenders.

Mon Oct 29, 2012 10:39 pm

DandoCCFC wrote:He was and having 1 defender on the bench out of 7 isn't exactly a postive thing.

I'd say it's very positive.

Beats last season having Kiss and Blake taking up half the space with defensive minded players.

Mon Oct 29, 2012 10:42 pm

We have 7 opitions this year, missing the point. :roll:

Mon Oct 29, 2012 10:46 pm

Why do we need more than one defender on the bench?

If he can cover all positions like Connolly or McNaughton then I'd rather fill the rest of the bench with midfielders and forwards. Players that can positively impact a game.

We're not likely to lose two defenders in a match and even if we do Gunnarsson can play as an emergency right back and we can sign a replacement on loan as an when we need to.

No point in wasting wages on a defender we don't need right now.

Mon Oct 29, 2012 10:48 pm

Wasting wages? He's getting paid either way :lol:

Mon Oct 29, 2012 10:49 pm

DandoCCFC wrote:Wasting wages? He's getting paid either way :lol:

Appearance fees.

Mon Oct 29, 2012 10:50 pm

Aramore wrote:Why do we need more than one defender on the bench?

If he can cover all positions like Connolly or McNaughton then I'd rather fill the rest of the bench with midfielders and forwards. Players that can positively impact a game.

We're not likely to lose two defenders in a match and even if we do Gunnarsson can play as an emergency right back and we can sign a replacement on loan as an when we need to.

I think we got the point.
It would make no sense in having two defenders on the bench.

Best manager in British history went with no CB on the bench Sunday (sir Alex).

For me it one defender MAXIMUM

Mon Oct 29, 2012 10:51 pm

2blue2handle wrote:

How many defenders would you have?

I would say one is more than enough especially when you have versatile defenders.

I agree, why would you want two?

9 times out of 10 you dont bring on a defender unless obviously theres injuries

Mon Oct 29, 2012 10:58 pm

2blue2handle wrote:
Aramore wrote:Why do we need more than one defender on the bench?

I think we got the point.
It would make no sense in having two defenders on the bench.

Best manager in British history went with no CB on the bench Sunday (sir Alex).

For me it one defender MAXIMUM

I think having no defender at all is going a bit crazy.

But then again Fergie seems to think Carrick is a CB and Valencia is a RB so I guess he felt safe.

Mon Oct 29, 2012 11:02 pm

Exactly, if you have versatile players them no need to panic, exactly the point.

Connelly can play across the back four
Kev can play across the back four

So the need for another player is massively minimal and then you just push a wide player back on that rare occasion.

Mon Oct 29, 2012 11:05 pm

Not saying 1 is a bad thing just be good for a youngster to have a chance to just be involved in the team a bit more.

Mon Oct 29, 2012 11:07 pm

DandoCCFC wrote:Not saying 1 is a bad thing just be good for a youngster to have a chance to just be involved in the team a bit more.

I understand that but then by having just 1 defender on the bench allows Malky to have 6 options in the midfield and up top to change things around

Makes the team more attractive knowing that they have 6 attacking options too choose to bring on

Mon Oct 29, 2012 11:07 pm

DandoCCFC wrote:Not saying 1 is a bad thing just be good for a youngster to have a chance to just be involved in the team a bit more.

Them MM is limiting himself and has a tough decision on leaving someone out, we hve had a strong bench this year :ayatollah:

Mon Oct 29, 2012 11:10 pm

Fair enough, Ben Nugent looks like a Ben Turner imo :ayatollah:

Tue Oct 30, 2012 4:39 pm

Dando please stop talking shit you imbecile.

Using a gk and 2 defenders for 3 of the 7 subs places, with the squad weve got, would be negative, not positive.

To suggest only having 1 defender on the bench "isnt a positive thing" is about the most stupid comment I have read on here.

Tue Oct 30, 2012 5:11 pm

think its as stupid as the person saying 1 defender on the bench leaves malky with 6 options for midfield/up front that would mean no goalkeeper on the bench hmmmmmmmmmmm :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Tue Oct 30, 2012 5:14 pm

Remember seeing them both play, though can't remember when or where. Decent from what I saw (didn't see a whole lot) but have heard good things about them both. How involved are they with the 1st team? Are they training with them while playing reserves or what?

Tue Oct 30, 2012 5:22 pm

dont think they train with the first team very often thought declan john was 1 of only a few who was ok at northampton :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Wed Oct 31, 2012 12:06 am

Mario Polotelli wrote:Dando please stop talking shit you imbecile.

Using a gk and 2 defenders for 3 of the 7 subs places, with the squad weve got, would be negative, not positive.

To suggest only having 1 defender on the bench "isnt a positive thing" is about the most stupid comment I have read on here.

I was getting across it would be good to drop a defender and give a youngster a chance on the bench.

The phrase 'Entitled to your own opinion' has never been said to you.

Wed Oct 31, 2012 12:11 am

DANDO why the f**k would you swap say an experienced defender for a young one on the bench you clueless b*stard :roll: