Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

I thought Connolly was excellent last night

Wed Oct 24, 2012 5:12 pm

I have been surprised by quite a few comments stating they thought Connolly had a poor game last night. I personally thought he was our second best performer on the night behind Tommy Smith. He can't get forwards as quick as McNaughton, but he was solid defensively, did the simple things well, rarely gave the ball away and won the penalty which got us back into the game. I thought Connolly did everything required from a full back. I think people need to realise Connolly didn't need to do as much running as McNaughton last night because he didn't give possession away as often as McNaughton usually does.

Re: I thought Connolly was excellent last night

Wed Oct 24, 2012 5:18 pm

Can tell he's an arsenal boy nice to have a defender that can pass.

Wed Oct 24, 2012 5:33 pm

Daniel_PT_blues wrote:Can tell he's an arsenal boy nice to have a defender that can pass.

I totally agree, I noticed quite a few times in tight situations on the touchline, Connolly found a way to play himself out and retain possession. McNaughton would have panicked, hoofed the ball aimlessly and given it away, but then he would probably sprint back to make a heroic tackle and be everyones hero, but there's only so many times you can get away with that. If we don't lose the ball, we won't concede a goal and having Connolly at right back last night with his better distribution was a definite plus.

Wed Oct 24, 2012 9:08 pm

Gonna be a great signing, Personally think he should go back in the middle with Hudson and bring the ball out like he does not like Turner who just hoofs it like a sand wedge all the time and also panicks in possession.

Wed Oct 24, 2012 9:14 pm

First half I never seen a worse performance by anyone this season.. he didn't have a clue what he was doing.

Wed Oct 24, 2012 9:29 pm

Thought Connolly had a decent game, took up some good positions in and around their box too, and let's not forget we may not have got back in the game if KeV had played. Kev and shot on target just don't go together.

Turner had a steady return also and will regain his sharpness with more game time, think he dismissed al the talk of him being on the slow side last night with that foot race in front of Grandstand.......fair do's to him for a big guy, he was shifting.

Connolly, Hudson & Turner gives us much more of a threat at wide set pieces too! :ayatollah: