Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Malky bursting with pride!

Wed Oct 24, 2012 12:05 pm

Malky Mackay spoke of his pride as his Cardiff City team became history men.

Mackay’s side became the first Cardiff team to win their opening six home league games, the last-gasp 2-1 victory over Watford keeping them level on points with Championship leaders Leicester.

Goals from Peter Whittingham and Aron Gunnarsson, the latter a minute into injury time, earned all three points against nine-man Watford who had two players sent off in the second half.

The Bluebirds had already equalled the club’s best ever home start to a season – five wins in 1946-47 – and home supporters were made to sweat on a dramatic evening.

“I am proud the boys have achieved the record,” said Mackay.

“I asked our fans to come and support their team this season and they have done that in style, while the players have put heart and soul into everything.

“We got the correct scoreline in the end. We were caught with a set-piece goal which relaxed Watford, but we earned our reward with moments of quality.

“Aron arrived in the box looking as though he wanted to score.”

Mackay felt City should have had a first half penalty when Craig Bellamy – who failed to reappear after the break because of a damaged ankle – was fouled.

“Craig has an ankle injury, it’s swollen and he will have a scan, and Tommy Smith tweaked a hamstring.

“Hopefully neither is serious.”

Watford manager Gianfranco Zola, who has now seen four of his players sent off in as many games, said it was a “cruel” defeat for his team.

“My players fought so hard and to lose is cruel,” he said.

“Even when we had nine players we created a chance which could have won us the game.

“It’s difficult to see why Daniel Pudil was sent off even on the replays, but something must have happened because the linesman was very close.

“Nathaniel Chalobah was sent off for kicking the ball away after he had already been booked.

“He didn’t go after the ball. It ran to him and he kicked it.

“Sometimes that is a yellow card, sometimes it isn’t.

“My overwhelming emotion for my team is pride and I feel sick they did not come out with some reward.”

Read More http://www.walesonline.co.uk/footballna ... z2ADXdczQ1

Re: Malky bursting with pride!

Wed Oct 24, 2012 5:37 pm

Should be Spin Doctor for the Prime Minister