Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Adverse plane landings.

Mon Oct 22, 2012 6:26 pm

Any one had some scary landings over the years ? I just arrived back from Rzeszow Poland today and Half way through the flight today the pilot came on the tannoy, as some of you may know I hate flying and am a nervous wreck so any announcement I tune in. "Were flying at 530mph, bla bla bla then boom!! AND visibility in Bristol is less than 100m". Panic immediately goes through my mind thankfully we landed safely in dense fog. God bless Ryan Air, the pilot and computer flying devices.

Thunderstorms, heavy snow any bad landing stories ?

Re: Adverse plane landings.

Mon Oct 22, 2012 6:37 pm

Terrible turbulance on the way to Tenerife and Frankfurt. I was with RyanAir both times. Don't mind flying but hate going with RyanAir :lol:

Mon Oct 22, 2012 6:42 pm

I've flown to Oz 4 times and Singapore, China, Dubai and a good few others and everytime I fuckin hates it :evil: ..hate flying with a passion, got to get steaming to cope :oops: :oops: :lol: :lol: :ayatollah:

Mon Oct 22, 2012 6:53 pm

I flew back from Cuba 3 years ago , practically bounced over the Atlantic, no warning off the captain!!!! Nice 1!! Thought I was fish food

Mon Oct 22, 2012 6:58 pm

Seen this on the BBC few months back, makes you realise what a difficult job it must be trying to land those things, even more so in high winds.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-17863501

Mon Oct 22, 2012 7:01 pm

CantonJack wrote:Terrible turbulance on the way to Tenerife and Frankfurt. I was with RyanAir both times. Don't mind flying but hate going with RyanAir :lol:

lol, I know the feeling I hate it with a passion. My missus family over there so flew this week, I have actually driven it which was just as mental and gone by bus. Once a year and thats it for me !!!!! :ayatollah:

Mon Oct 22, 2012 7:05 pm

Daniel_PT_blues wrote:Seen this on the BBC few months back, makes you realise what a difficult job it must be trying to land those things, even more so in high winds.

Glad I viewed that now I am safely home he he :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Mon Oct 22, 2012 7:08 pm

Daniel_PT_blues wrote:Seen this on the BBC few months back, makes you realise what a difficult job it must be trying to land those things, even more so in high winds.

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Mon Oct 22, 2012 9:13 pm

I use to be a flight simulator engineer. I could take off at any airport and land at any other airport without touching the joy stick. Once I landed at Heathrow with all the engines not working, ah yes the engines failed 5 miles out from landing.

Mon Oct 22, 2012 9:23 pm

Flew back from New York 9 years ago and we got hit by lightening plummeted 3,000 feet,and the pilot only said that was a big hit :lol: :lol: :lol: I have never heard panic like it before in my life, I was pissed and turned to this guy and said we are going to die :lol: :lol: :lol: This was only 5 months after 9/11. The look on this guys face after we landed was brilliant. Luckily I was wearing brown trousers :lol:

Mon Oct 22, 2012 11:54 pm

Flew back to Luton after a skiing trip. I'm a nervous wreck without travelling through lightening. I was sat on the wing ( not literally ) and I swear when he landed he closed his eyes and guessed. We came in at all kinds of angles. No juice left in me. All sweated and cried out of me :oops:
Plus side I did have the sympathy of some hot staff :D

Tue Oct 23, 2012 11:06 am

No dodgy landings, as far as I can remember, but I was on a flight to Italy in 1984 when we got caught in a terrific thunderstorm. The motion of the plane made me sick - I filled a sick bag - and there was thunder, lightning, the works.

I was nervous on every flight after that for a while and then shook myself out of it and went back to normal. No problem now, it's no different to travelling on a bus for me.

Tue Oct 23, 2012 1:50 pm

No bad landings as such had turbulence a few times. Anyway flying back from zante this year and found out we had a woman pilot :0 was a nervous wreck all the way home. And she took ages to park.

Tue Oct 23, 2012 3:23 pm

Back in the summer I went on a holiday to Zante. We flew from Cardiff and there were a bunch of local lads on the flight. They were singing Cardiff chants so if any of you reading this were part of that little gang then please stop going out without your mummy to hold your hand.

You know when you watch those Air crash investigation shows on sky. They always trace the wreckage back to small meaningless things that started off a chain reaction that then led to the crash. Well on this flight it was a bunch of local chavs.

One of the knobheads in their party (who thought he was something out of Top Gun with his big sunglasses even though it was pissing down with rain in Cardiff) managed to lose his boarding pass in between the 50 yards he only had to walk with it. Without mummy to hold his hand and make sure he didn't lose that vital bit of paper, he caused the flight to be delayed. That meant the flight had to wait for another slot so we were left sitting on the tarmark for an hour.

Zante airport is quiet busy at that time of the year and believe it or not they do not have a radar system to know where the planes are. They rely on talking to each other apparently.

As we approached Zante, and because we missed out slot, we were now trying to fit in. That meant we had to circle a few times north of the island whilst other planes took up their landing slots.

We then, after a total of a 2 hour delay, made our way towards Zante. We must have been about 10 feet off the ground when the pilot aborted the landing and throttled back.

He announced that it was because "a gust of wind hit the tail". Yeah right!! There was no gust of wind. There was no wind on Zante, nothing at all. You just knew that he simply told us that to calm us. I've watched enough air crash investigations to know that the plane is fitting with warning systems that tell it when there are other planes close by or on the runway etc.

I reckon that's what happened. There was another plane and the onboard warning system told the pilot to abort the landing. Remember after all that we were out of our slot and there are no radar systems at Zante airport. Anyway by the time we circled round again and came in for another attempt, that added a further hour delay. Just because some chavs decided to go on hols without their mummy's for the first time. I tell you what, if we had crashed and survived I would have made sure those lot had drowned, I can tell you. He cost me at least 3 hours of my holiday.

Oh and to top it off, that "Top Gun Chav" who lost his boarding pass then decided to enter Zante airport without his shirt on. He'd only been in the country 3 or 4 minutes and he was being told off by the coppers.

Tue Oct 23, 2012 3:25 pm

Fecking women pilots :D

Tue Oct 23, 2012 10:22 pm

Hate flying with a passion but as some know im currently traveling the world. Coming towards the end of my trip now and I fly from Fiji to LA tomorrow night then a transfer to Chicago from LA later that day. Not looking forward to it at all.

I had a bit of a dodgy landing when I flew into Bangkok. All was well when touched down but the plane didnt seem to stop and in the end there was a big screech and the breaks was applied very hard and everyone suddenly jolted forward. Shit my pants as you could imagine. I was sat in the window seat on the wing and when we turned I realized that there wasnt much runway left.

Tue Oct 23, 2012 10:29 pm

Had 20mins of turbulence on the way to Cyprus, few years ago, scary as fook, didn't help with the Ole man telling me how many ft per second the plane drops when this happens either. paranoid of flying after that now

Tue Oct 23, 2012 11:40 pm

Had a nasty landing at LaGuardia on an internal flight from Austin about 2 years ago. Flight Attendant cried. No jokes.

Wed Oct 24, 2012 12:09 am

Marc wrote:I've flown to Oz 4 times and Singapore, China, Dubai and a good few others and everytime I fuckin hates it :evil: ..hate flying with a passion, got to get steaming to cope :oops: :oops: :lol: :lol: :ayatollah:

I aint going on no plane fool Image

Wed Oct 24, 2012 6:49 am

Had a few dodgy flights into afghan. Tactical landings/take offs. More exciting than anything though.

I'm pretty confident in the crew controlling the aircraft.

I feel more nervous on a Boeing 737 flying to Spain.