Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Just in Stoke

Mon Oct 22, 2012 3:59 pm

Just up in Stoke for 2 days, this is my view from my room. Grrr! Been here 3 times with City and each was VERY memorable. Anyway, must say Stoke is like a time warp, shabby as you like! You can see why they've had a nice firm for a while, f**k all else to up here honestly. It's geographical location obviously means people go to bigger City's for shopping etc, but for a City it is horrendous. Makes Cardiff and even Liverpool look like the French Riviera.

That is all. :ayatollah:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: Just in Stoke

Mon Oct 22, 2012 4:02 pm

Taff on the Mersey wrote:Just up in Stoke for 2 days, this is my view from my room. Grrr! Been here 3 times with City and each was VERY memorable. Anyway, must say Stoke is like a time warp, shabby as you like! You can see why they've had a nice firm for a while, f**k all else to up here honestly. It's geographical location obviously means people go to bigger City's for shopping etc, but for a City it is horrendous. Makes Cardiff and even Liverpool look like the French Riviera.

Rough place some parts of Stoke
I am in Majorca in the sun, but they never had a firm.
Be home for the Burnley game :ayatollah:

Mon Oct 22, 2012 4:03 pm

did you take the photo standing on your head ?

Mon Oct 22, 2012 4:11 pm

samdm94 wrote:did you take the photo standing on your head ?

:lol:

Mon Oct 22, 2012 4:20 pm

Really shocked Annis, took the mrs for a good shopping spree and were shocked, reminds me of Barry, but the people scrub up better in Barrybados. When ever I've been to stoke they've had big number of lads on the grandstand and opposite baying for blood and everywhere outside, just my perception.
Last edited by Taff on the Mersey on Mon Oct 22, 2012 4:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Oct 22, 2012 4:22 pm

Taff on the Mersey wrote:Really shocked Annis, took the mrs for a good shopping spree and were shocked, reminds me of Barry, but the people scrub up better in Barrybados. When ever I've been to stoke they've had lads on the grandstand and opposite baying for blood, just my perception.

:lol: :ayatollah:

Mon Oct 22, 2012 4:25 pm

I've heard many of your stories Annis but have you ever had it off with Stoke over the years? Genuine question...

Mon Oct 22, 2012 5:39 pm

I spend a lot of my time in Stoke, my fourteen year old son lives there with his mum, the hotel you are in is the holiday Inn Express, I must have stayed in every hotel in Stoke over the last twelve years, depends which has the best offers on.
It can come over as a shit hole, but it does have everything but spread out a little, granted.

The Shopping area in Hanley has a large indoor modern shopping complex with a large market in the basement, one of the nightclubs was voted the second best in the UK.
The lap dancing club opposite the old Grand hotel (now a choice hotel) is the dogs bollocks 9so I been told love honest ;) )

The indoor swimming pool built on the festival park site is the best in the Uk, really is good.

Stoke as a City though is very similar to the valley, it is made up of six towns I believe, with Hanley being referred to as the City centre, but then as part of the whole Kaboosh is Burslem, Tunstall, Milton, Stoke, Fenton and Longton.

The place for some mad reason has played a big part in my life,it was the first away game I went to in 1966, my first wife who lived in the Rhondda was actually born and spent the first few years living in Stoke, and my Third wife was also a Stoke girl who was down here in Uni, I should hate the f*cking place, but I do have a strange fondness for it, a bit like the Valleys, as i said earlier.

And to cap it all, it is near everywhere except the seaside. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Oh, and I just rememberd, they got Alton Towers round the corner. ;)

Mon Oct 22, 2012 6:21 pm

Some nice areas close by as i drive through to visit my head office which is based in Leek,Cheddleton.
The peak district and Buxton nearby are very nice places to visit.

Mon Oct 22, 2012 6:43 pm

BigGwynram wrote:I spend a lot of my time in Stoke, my fourteen year old son lives there with his mum, the hotel you are in is the holiday Inn Express, I must have stayed in every hotel in Stoke over the last twelve years, depends which has the best offers on.
It can come over as a shit hole, but it does have everything but spread out a little, granted.

The Shopping area in Hanley has a large indoor modern shopping complex with a large market in the basement, one of the nightclubs was voted the second best in the UK.
The lap dancing club opposite the old Grand hotel (now a choice hotel) is the dogs bollocks 9so I been told love honest ;) )

The indoor swimming pool built on the festival park site is the best in the Uk, really is good.

Stoke as a City though is very similar to the valley, it is made up of six towns I believe, with Hanley being referred to as the City centre, but then as part of the whole Kaboosh is Burslem, Tunstall, Milton, Stoke, Fenton and Longton.

The place for some mad reason has played a big part in my life,it was the first away game I went to in 1966, my first wife who lived in the Rhondda was actually born and spent the first few years living in Stoke, and my Third wife was also a Stoke girl who was down here in Uni, I should hate the f*cking place, but I do have a strange fondness for it, a bit like the Valleys, as i said earlier.

And to cap it all, it is near everywhere except the seaside. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Oh, and I just rememberd, they got Alton Towers round the corner. ;)

stay away from Rhondda girls thats a warning ;)

Mon Oct 22, 2012 7:24 pm

I seen 40 Stoke down here for a midweek fixture come outside and put it on Cardiff in the car park. They did very well.

Most original name for a FV book as well imo.

Mon Oct 22, 2012 7:27 pm

Mario Polotelli wrote:I seen 40 Stoke down here for a midweek fixture come outside and put it on Cardiff in the car park. They did very well.

Remember that night very well 8-)

Mon Oct 22, 2012 7:31 pm

Xcasual wrote:
Mario Polotelli wrote:I seen 40 Stoke down here for a midweek fixture come outside and put it on Cardiff in the car park. They did very well.

Remember that night very well 8-)

It was a good little row. I watched from the safety of the players lounge. :lol:

Mon Oct 22, 2012 7:59 pm

Taff on the Mersey wrote:Just up in Stoke for 2 days, this is my view from my room. Grrr! Been here 3 times with City and each was VERY memorable. Anyway, must say Stoke is like a time warp, shabby as you like! You can see why they've had a nice firm for a while, f**k all else to up here honestly. It's geographical location obviously means people go to bigger City's for shopping etc, but for a City it is horrendous. Makes Cardiff and even Liverpool look like the French Riviera.

north korea with lights mate :lol: it,s five or six towns.the nicest area im.o are just outside.newcastle under lymm and trentham is ok.the stokies love it though.they think england is stuck on the outside of stoke.they did have a mob.problem for them they arrived five/ten years after the main days.in my eyes the prime time is classed as mid 80,s.mid 80,s blues took the piss around there and even ten years later were still able to do pretty much what they wanted.they defo had a decent mob though mid 90,s onwards.don,t think anyone would deny that.think blues have had it with them in the last 5/6yrs a few times.home and away so i,v heard.you could always get in your car and drive 30miles to cannock chase .very nice

Mon Oct 22, 2012 8:00 pm

3rd wife! Gwyn you are a great story teller and you always have the great stories to tell...you need to write a big fat book. Oh I'm obviously talking about stoke on face value and the fact it was not what we expected, it made me even more shocked. I said to the mrs it looks a bit miss match, then we read about a few towns put together and then it made sense.