Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Fred Keenor Statue Update

Mon Oct 22, 2012 11:29 am

I visited sculptor Roger Andrews on Friday and I'm happy to report that everything appears to be on schedule for the unveiling of the Fred Keenor statue on Saturday 10th November.

Fellow committee members Mike Inker (aka Arfur Europe) and Graham Keenor will be accompanying Roger later this week on a visit to the foundry in Stroud, where the final stages of work on the bronze statue are being completed. Meanwhile, the bronze plaques have been delivered by the manufacturers in Norfolk and are being added to the granite plinth panels, which have been created by stonemasons in Penarth.

Along with designer Lyndon Rhodes, I am currently in the process of putting the finishing touches to a commemorative brochure, which will be available for purchase on the day of the statue unveiling. The brochure, which will retail at £3, contains 32 pages and is in a glossy A4 format. It is being produced in a limited edition of 1,000 and each copy will be individually numbered.

The publication includes extensive features on Fred Keenor's playing career and his international exploits with Wales, the 1927 FA Cup Final, the players and staff who won the FA Cup for Cardiff, the statue campaign and the creation of the sculpture. Contributors include Cardiff City historian Richard Shepherd, Ceri Stennett of the Football Association of Wales and artist Roger Andrews.

More information on obtaining copies of the brochure will be available closer to the day.

Re: Fred Keenor Statue Update

Mon Oct 22, 2012 12:18 pm

Really good news - looking forward to this. I can also recommend the Fred Keenor book available in the city store - excellent read and also an insight of how tough it was back then. Building the pitch at Ninian from ashes from the factories on Penarth Road and the WW1 Footballers Battalion were memorable points for me.

Mon Oct 22, 2012 12:54 pm

Nice one :ayatollah:

Agree with above poster about the book, cracking read :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Mon Oct 22, 2012 2:37 pm

Very welcome news for a change. :ayatollah:

Mon Oct 22, 2012 2:51 pm

sounds good

Mon Oct 22, 2012 6:30 pm

fantastic news :ayatollah:

Mon Oct 22, 2012 7:25 pm

Excellent news mate. Glad to see you're still involved with the club too.

I'm unlikely to buy one of the programs, but have you considered releasing a downloadable version for the iPad? I'd almost definitely buy a digital one.

Maybe it's something the club could help with, as they do digital programs now?

Mon Oct 22, 2012 7:49 pm

That's an interesting idea. I'm utterly useless as regards technology, but the brochure designer is very good with these things and a couple of issues of the Trust magazine have been available online, so I'm sure it can be done. I'll suggest it at our next committee meeting later this week.

Mon Oct 22, 2012 8:04 pm

Thanks for the update, not too good with technology either so will certainly try and buy the brochure :ayatollah:

Mon Oct 22, 2012 9:14 pm

F**k me about time.

Mon Oct 22, 2012 9:17 pm

Great news, can't wait for this! Was a rare time where the two forums were united on something!

Mon Oct 22, 2012 10:50 pm

http://www.cardiffcity-mad.co.uk/news/t ... ndex.shtml

Mon Oct 22, 2012 11:19 pm

Great news :D we have campaigned hard for this :ayatollah:

Tue Oct 23, 2012 12:00 am

Good news, did the club contribute in the end?

Tue Oct 23, 2012 5:54 am

I sure I read that VT stumped up some his own cash.

Tue Oct 23, 2012 7:45 am

2blue2handle wrote:Good news, did the club contribute in the end?

Yes, the club and the FAW rounded off the appeal with donations of £7,000 each in May.

Tue Oct 23, 2012 9:24 am

The Lone Gunman wrote:
2blue2handle wrote:Good news, did the club contribute in the end?

Yes, the club and the FAW rounded off the appeal with donations of £7,000 each in May.

Paltry sums, really, but better than nothing.

I'm glad it's come to fruition, though. It's doubtful there'll ever be a City hero to match Fred.

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r83/ ... s/Fred.jpg

Tue Oct 23, 2012 11:15 am

Nedd Glas wrote:Paltry sums, really, but better than nothing.

In fairness, club officials were supportive of the appeal throughout.

For instance, £1 from every adult ticket sold for the pre-season friendlies against Deportivo La Coruna and Parma went towards the fund. That raised almost £9,000. A fundraising evening set up by club officials in September 2010 raised another £9,400. The club allowed the committee to stage four bucket collections at the stadium; the 8" statue figurines were sold in the club shop with all the profits going to the appeal; fans were given the opportunity to donate to the statue fund via the ticket office; and club staff helped the committee to set up several fundraisers in the stadium function suites.

Of course, all of the money raised by the above initiatives actually came from the fans themselves, but club officials such as Wayne Nash, Julian Jenkins and former CEO Gethin Jenkins often went out of their way to help the statue committee generate the cash.

For me, the fact that the majority of the funds needed to build the statue came from the pockets of the supporters makes it all the more special. Every fan who gave their time and money to the appeal can feel proud of the fact that they played their part in creating a lasting tribute to the greatest Bluebird of them all.

Tue Oct 23, 2012 11:21 am

The Lone Gunman wrote:
Nedd Glas wrote:Paltry sums, really, but better than nothing.

In fairness, club officials were supportive of the appeal throughout.

For instance, £1 from every adult ticket sold for the pre-season friendlies against Deportivo La Coruna and Parma went towards the fund. That raised almost £9,000. A fundraising evening set up by club officials in September 2010 raised another £9,400. The club allowed the committee to stage four bucket collections at the stadium; the 8" statue figurines were sold in the club shop with all the profits going to the appeal; fans were given the opportunity to donate to the statue fund via the ticket office; and club staff helped the committee to set up several fundraisers in the stadium function suites.

Of course, all of the money raised by the above initiatives actually came from the fans themselves, but club officials such as Wayne Nash, Julian Jenkins and former CEO Gethin Jenkins often went out of their way to help the statue committee generate the cash.

For me, the fact that the majority of the funds needed to build the statue came from the pockets of the supporters makes it all the more special. Every fan who gave their time and money to the appeal can feel proud of the fact that they played their part in creating a lasting tribute to the greatest Bluebird of them all.

Doesn't seem so bad given that information and I'll be there to see the statue unveiled on the 10th of Nov. Have you got a time yet?

Tue Oct 23, 2012 11:25 am

Nedd Glas wrote:Doesn't seem so bad given that information and I'll be there to see the statue unveiled on the 10th of Nov. Have you got a time yet?

I think the unveiling is scheduled for around 1:00pm, but not 100% sure - it will be well publicised beforehand, so keep an eye on the message boards.

Tue Oct 23, 2012 11:29 am

The Lone Gunman wrote:
Nedd Glas wrote:Doesn't seem so bad given that information and I'll be there to see the statue unveiled on the 10th of Nov. Have you got a time yet?

I think the unveiling is scheduled for around 1:00pm, but not 100% sure - it will be well publicised beforehand, so keep an eye on the message boards.

Thanks.

Tue Oct 23, 2012 2:37 pm

At least one of our history will still be on show. :ayatollah: