Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

LEEDS FAN JAILED Updated/Full Story

Mon Oct 22, 2012 11:26 am

21-year-old Leeds fan Aaron Cawley jailed for four months for assaulting Sheffield Wednesday goalkeeper Chris Kirkland ,I think he should've got longer. Just for being a Leeds fan

He had not long ago served a 3 year banning order for a near riot at Ipswich 5 Years ago.
He has had 2 Previous banning orders. :shock:

Fan jailed for goalkeeper attack
Published: 21 October 2012

A football fan has been jailed for 16 weeks after he admitted attacking a goalkeeper during a televised football match.

Aaron Cawley, 21, from Cheltenham, pleaded guilty to assault and invading the pitch during Sheffield Wednesday's home match against Leeds United on Friday night.

Cawley, who appeared at Sheffield Magistrates' Court, was arrested after Wednesday keeper Chris Kirkland was pushed in the face during the game at Hillsborough stadium. The incident was one of a number of ugly scenes at the Yorkshire derby, which ended in a 1-1 draw.

Kirkland, who has played for England, was shoved to the ground moments after conceding an equaliser in the 76th minute. A man was clearly seen running from the Leeds fans on to the pitch and pushing Kirkland in the face before running back into the crowd. The incident was caught on camera by Sky Sports, which was broadcasting the game.

Unemployed labourer Cawley stood in the glass-fronted dock wearing a blue T-shirt which left an "LUFC" tattoo clearly visible on his neck and a Leeds United club crest on his right arm. The court heard that he had been the subject of two football banning orders in the past, which he had breached four times. Despite living with his mother in Cheltenham, Gloucestershire, he had supported Leeds United all his life and went to every game - home and away, the court heard.

Prosecutor Paul Macaulay said Cawley told police he was so drunk he could not remember the incident, which has been seen by millions of TV viewers. Mr Macaulay said Cawley told officers he had drunk a number of cans of lager on Friday morning, followed by three-quarters of a litre of vodka - all before he got to Sheffield by train. Once in Sheffield, he had a further seven to 10 pints of cider, the court heard.

District Judge Naomi Redhouse heard that Cawley, of Blenheim Square, Cheltenham, only realised what he had done when other people told him and then he saw himself clearly on TV. He emailed the police to say sorry and also emailed Sky Sports in the hope that his apology would be passed on to the two clubs and Kirkland.

District Judge Redhouse said she had no choice but to impose an immediate custodial sentence. She said a huge effort had been made to tackle hooliganism in football and "make football an event where there's no violence and where families are happy to attend with children".

She said footballers were at matches as part of their employment and everyone has the right to be "protected from being assaulted by a stranger" at work. The district judge also noted that, while she had heard all the evidence about how much Cawley had to drink, she did not see any evidence of his drunkenness on the TV footage she had been shown.

Later, Cawley returned to court where he was formally given a six-year football banning order. One of the conditions is for him to stay at least a mile away from football stadiums where Leeds United are playing on match days. He was handcuffed before being led from the dock.

Re: LEEDS FAN JAILED

Mon Oct 22, 2012 1:00 pm

I bet he thought he was a hero at the time.

Mon Oct 22, 2012 1:01 pm

Xcasual wrote:21-year-old Leeds fan Aaron Cawley jailed for four months for assaulting Sheffield Wednesday goalkeeper Chris Kirkland ,I think he should've got longer. Just for being a Leeds fan.
He had not long ago served a 3year banning order at Ipswich 5years ago for a near riot.

And Cardiff fans have had up to 2yrs for virtually doing nothing.

How long did he get banned for ?

Mon Oct 22, 2012 1:02 pm

So a Cardiff fan throws a traffic cone and gets 16 months and that kunt gets 4 :? :? :? ....speaks volumes that does :twisted:

Mon Oct 22, 2012 1:05 pm

Marc wrote:So a Cardiff fan throws a traffic cone and gets 16 months and that kunt gets 4 :? :? :? ....speaks volumes that does :twisted:

Shocking, nuff said

Mon Oct 22, 2012 1:15 pm

Forever Blue wrote:
Xcasual wrote:21-year-old Leeds fan Aaron Cawley jailed for four months for assaulting Sheffield Wednesday goalkeeper Chris Kirkland ,I think he should've got longer. Just for being a Leeds fan

5 year banning order and banned from leeds for life

Mon Oct 22, 2012 1:17 pm

Hope there are some Sheffield Weds fans in his prison

Mon Oct 22, 2012 1:18 pm

nicky evans wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:
Xcasual wrote:21-year-old Leeds fan Aaron Cawley jailed for four months for assaulting Sheffield Wednesday goalkeeper Chris Kirkland ,I think he should've got longer. Just for being a Leeds fan

5 year banning order and banned from leeds for life

Cheers Nicky.

Most Cardiff fans got 6 yrs and 10 yr banning orders.

Mon Oct 22, 2012 1:23 pm

Wow!!!! Effectively will serve 8 weeks. Unbelievable. I was expecting 18 months to 2 years myself.

Should of remanded the prick for 6 months first then sentenced him.

Mon Oct 22, 2012 1:29 pm

Anyone know if he was a season ticket holder?

Mon Oct 22, 2012 1:31 pm

Stan-QPR wrote:Wow!!!! Effectively will serve 8 weeks. Unbelievable. I was expecting 18 months to 2 years myself.

Stan, when I saw it on tv in a bar over here in Santa Ponsa, every football fan over here thought he would get 2yrs at least.

Mon Oct 22, 2012 1:36 pm

Exactly mate. When you look at the sentences dished out to your lads its pretty embarrassing.

Mon Oct 22, 2012 1:36 pm

Forever Blue wrote:
Xcasual wrote:21-year-old Leeds fan Aaron Cawley jailed for four months for assaulting Sheffield Wednesday goalkeeper Chris Kirkland ,I think he should've got longer. Just for being a Leeds fan.
He had not long ago served a 3year banning order at Ipswich 5years ago for a near riot.

Might be more behind it than looks this idiot looks like he pleaded guilty did the City fans hold their hands up its a fair cop like or did they take it all the way :?:

Mon Oct 22, 2012 1:38 pm

Tommytynansjockstrap wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:

Might be more behind it than looks this idiot looks like he pleaded guilty did the City fans hold their hands up its a fair cop like or did they take it all the way :?:

Most put their hands up to it, Corky's son got 16 months for throwing a traffic cone, missed everyone and his first offence :shock:

Mon Oct 22, 2012 1:59 pm

Forever Blue wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:

Most put their hands up to it, Corky's son got 16 months for throwing a traffic cone, missed everyone and his first offence :shock:

Did Corkys son take it all the way mate :?: if not did he appeal as 16 months sounds harsh :shock:

But a few of our lads got banning orders for just flashing V`s at the Old Bill at yours in the FAW Cup a few years back :?

Kiddie fiddlers have more rights than football fans Fact! :evil:

Mon Oct 22, 2012 2:27 pm

He'll be out again causing carnage before Christmas

Mon Oct 22, 2012 2:57 pm

Forever Blue wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:

Did Corkys son take it all the way mate :?: if not did he appeal as 16 months sounds harsh :shock:

But a few of our lads got banning orders for just flashing V`s at the Old Bill at yours in the FAW Cup a few years back :?

Kiddie fiddlers have more rights than football fans Fact! :evil:

Corky told his son to plead guilty as he was bang to rights like that Leeds fan, no one assaulted,not in the ground or on the pitch.
I saw the video of your lot outside Ninian Park and watched them from the car park, your lot really went for it.

Mon Oct 22, 2012 3:01 pm

I was talking to a mate of mine who's a Leeds fan yesterday and he said that he felt the guy has been treated harshly, as it was only a push in the face, and that it was incited by the Wednesday players who were doing far more dirty antics during the game and being allowed to get away with it.
Once a dirty Leeds fan always a dirty Leeds fan ffs. :evil:

Re: LEEDS FAN JAILED Updated/Full Story

Mon Oct 22, 2012 3:52 pm

sorry lads it was actually 6 years banning order not 5

Mon Oct 22, 2012 4:53 pm

Harshly treated? Only a push in the face?

Its assault! Monica Seles or Dimebag Darrell spring to mind?

Mon Oct 22, 2012 5:13 pm

The judge clearly didnt mention he was bragging about the incident on facebook when he got back to his mammys house
also what about the dozen or so idiots that ran on the pitch grabbing the net etc, thers one thing running on the pitch to celebrate at the final whistle but during live play? imagine if that was city fans
whats been done about millwall fans racially abuing marvin sordell? seems one rule for one and one for another

Mon Oct 22, 2012 5:26 pm

If he's jobless how can he afford to travel up and down the country to watch Leeds????

Mon Oct 22, 2012 5:29 pm

gagsey wrote:If he's jobless how can he afford to travel up and down the country to watch Leeds????

I think hes part of the daddys credit card brigade

Mon Oct 22, 2012 5:56 pm

Forever Blue wrote:
Stan-QPR wrote:Wow!!!! Effectively will serve 8 weeks. Unbelievable. I was expecting 18 months to 2 years myself.

Stan, when I saw it on tv in a bar over here in Santa Ponsa, every football fan over here thought he would get 2yrs at least.

The Birmingham lad who ran on pitch and gave the wankers sign at Enckleman got a similar sentence.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/2488519.stm

The blues lad was wrong for what he did but he did not hit Enckelman and to get an identical sentence is farcical particularly as i believe there was no previous.

Mon Oct 22, 2012 6:07 pm

Unemployed labourer still sponging off his mum thus can afford to follow Weeds to every game and drink enough booze to swim in. And if that's what he's consumed after starting in the morning, he's also got the cash to powder his nose as he's jumping fences, running the length of a pitch and assaulting goalies later in the evening. Waster. Melt him down and use him as a candle. Yorkshire Derby. Ugly Scenes - they all look like gargoyles to me.

Mon Oct 22, 2012 6:36 pm

Steve Van Halen wrote:Harshly treated? Only a push in the face?

Its assault! Monica Seles or Dimebag Darrell spring to mind?

I agree, there's no defence for it.

Mon Oct 22, 2012 6:52 pm

If this had happened at a City match it would have been bye bye to the next few years. What the f*ck is wrong with that magistrate.

Will probably be out in time for the Xmas & New Years games and ban or not I'll bet this b*stard will be at the matches. Don't understand why they didn't make an order that he has to appear at a police station during all games.

Mon Oct 22, 2012 6:54 pm

Stan_B wrote:If this had happened at a City match it would have been bye bye to the next few years. What the f*ck is wrong with that magistrate.

Will probably be out in time for the Xmas & New Years games and ban or not I'll bet this b*stard will be at the matches. Don't understand why they didn't make an order that he has to appear at a police station during all games.

good point
he obviously has no respect for banning orders so that would have been the right move

Mon Oct 22, 2012 6:55 pm

gagsey wrote:If he's jobless how can he afford to travel up and down the country to watch Leeds????

our tax money :evil: :evil:

Mon Oct 22, 2012 7:21 pm

Gareth (Wilts) wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:

The Birmingham lad who ran on pitch and gave the wankers sign at Enckleman got a similar sentence.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/2488519.stm

The blues lad was wrong for what he did but he did not hit Enckelman and to get an identical sentence is farcical particularly as i believe there was no previous.

no prevoius mate.not sure if he even went to football :shock: by the way the villa kid who taunted robbie savage got community service :? what is also mad about the leeds fan is apart from the laughable sentence is that he must be at least a mile away from any ground leeds play at.remember grounds like blues are over a mile away from the city centre so he can travel and get up to no good as long as he stays outside the mile zone.the judge=mentalist