Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Right be totally honest then, who at this current moment

Sun Oct 21, 2012 8:11 am

In time would you rather have as our manager Malky or Dave Jones ?

And why ?

For me it's a non starter Malky without a doubt. Dj had 6 yrs here and failed to deliver. Had every big name going, fell out with the media and fans, lost the dressing room and most importedly had no plan B.
Also if we went one nil down, u knew that was it, the crowd would go subdued and the game was lost.

Can anyone do a poll please?

By the way we do need a target man, I have been saying this for 6 weeks.

Re: Right be totally honest then, who at this current moment

Sun Oct 21, 2012 8:16 am

It's a no brainer, MM is head and shoulders above DJ but what planet is he on thinking 4-5-1 works away from home.

If you listened to the radio last night there was a Forest fan who seemed quite clued up and he couldn't understand why city were so negative. He also said if MM was trying to get out of the division by home form alone it was a very dangerous way of doing things.

It's quite simple, we have the players, we have a system they enjoy playing, they look good playing - fecking use it away from home and lets not worry about the play-offs!

That's not moaning, that is just common sense! :old:

Sun Oct 21, 2012 8:22 am

i would have to say malky obviously, but i believe sometimes he needs to be impulsive and read that the game isnt going to plan, and make the change early in the game not late...

i would have rather lost that yesterday when we were 2 down say "3-2 or 4-2 than not creating anything until after 60 mins...

if we can get it right at home, use it away... its easier to make the change to tighten up than to start to negative and leave yourselves too much to do.

as a paying fan im entitled to give my opinion, some will agree, some will totally disagree however this is an opinionated forum and these are my personal opinions.

as for the question def. malky over dj, however i am concerned with our away form at the moment and also with our squad as we have spent a lot of money and 4 million pounds on 2 players who in malkys eyes are not ready for a start.. if they are not good enough then surely we are not that strong in quality and depth as we think.. "in relation to kimbo and velikonja"

Sun Oct 21, 2012 8:41 am

arri potta wrote:It's a no brainer, MM is head and shoulders above DJ but what planet is he on thinking 4-5-1 works away from home.

If you listened to the radio last night there was a Forest fan who seemed quite clued up and he couldn't understand why city were so negative. He also said if MM was trying to get out of the division by home form alone it was a very dangerous way of doing things.

It's quite simple, we have the players, we have a system they enjoy playing, they look good playing - fecking use it away from home and lets not worry about the play-offs!

That's not moaning, that is just common sense! :old:

It's something that as crossed my mind in that he does appear to be taking a different approach not only with the formation but also with the squad rotation selecting his home and away teams. Like you say it's a very dangerous game that he's playing.

Sun Oct 21, 2012 8:44 am

I suspect Malky lacks confidence still in areas of the defence, and as an ex-defender tends
to err on caution a bit too much. Is it costing us matches? Well, yes, in my opinion.

But the main difference between him and DJ is.... God help Watford on Tuesday.

Cardiff City have not gone on a run of defeats since Malky took over.

Under DJ, six wins out of 7 was what we came to expect at times. But we would always be
waiting for that slump, and three/four defeats that inevitably followed

Sun Oct 21, 2012 9:11 am

As far as im concerne the jury is still out. Unconvincing team selections and the over cautious approach away are hurting us. Would like to see the players given their heads and told to go out and express themselves. We have the squad and not really getting the best out of it yet.
Was DJ any better? Probably not, same as MM no plan B and sticks to his favourites. My main feeling is that opposition managers are tactically superior to us in nullifying our threats and stopping the players hurting them. MM is on a very steep learning curve with all the sweets in the shop at his disposal, now he has to get the mixture right. To get out of the league we will have to do beter than we currenly are away from home, and hope we maintain the formidable home form.
Anyway we are down in cardiff for the next 2 games and cant wait :ayatollah:

Sun Oct 21, 2012 9:44 am

MM is the way forward - DJ is the last of the previous generation of managers.

It is no longer enough for managers to have done their coaching badges and played top flight football.

The new breed of manager understands other aspects of the game - nutrition, fitness etc, as well as the game itself. He knows how to use the vast array of statistics that the game now generates. He knows how to use modern technology to analyse how his players play, when to rest them, how to play them and what formations to use.

He doesn't sign a player on rumour and watching him play a few games - he sends scouts to get detailed statistics on the player, checks his attitude, his private life and his psychological profile to see how he plays under pressure. Can you honestly say that MM has made a BAD signing yet?

This is football, however, and there are (thankfully) too many imponderables to make it an exact science - that's why any team can beat anyone else in the division. People may think that 4-5-1 away from home is not working (although it did pretty well for us for most of last season), but you can bet that Malky can give a clear case why he should be using it with facts and figures to back it up - he doesn't do it just because he feels like it!

We are lucky to have him - it is probably the most important decision made by our Malaysian owners.

We will never sack Malky - I fear he will one day succeed Sir Alex at Manchester United.

:ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Sun Oct 21, 2012 9:47 am

Sometimes I think that younger managers need an older head just behind them to guide them sometimes.Lennie lawrance springs to mind :old: :old: :old:

Sun Oct 21, 2012 10:15 am

TBH Annis this is not about DJ is it ? It is not just a straight choice between the two. This is about Malky !! But it's a tale of two Malky's one at home and one away.

Sun Oct 21, 2012 10:26 am

n time would you rather have as our manager Malky or Dave Jones

None - Both stubborn managers that continually play their favourites , will not change their formations game after game , both managers can't play a passing game and useless at the back, fade at the tail end of the season and Malky negative style of football put you off football for life .

Time for the Board to act and get Harry Redknapp off Match of the day and become our new Manager

Sun Oct 21, 2012 10:27 am

I HONESTLY do not think that Malky has PROVED anything more than D J at the moment
Yes he had a great first season considering what he had to come in to SO did DJ Remember DJ also came her knowing he would lose his team Collins Gabbidon etcThe LUXURY that Malky has has over DJ is that he has not had to sell any of his players like DJ did so in a sense he is playing on a better playing field than DJ was .I honestly think that DJ s time was up and it was time for him to move on BUT i also believe that MALKY has a lot to prove and to be fair he has been given A LOT MORE resources to do it,.He seems to be making the same mistakes time and time again with his tactics and does not appear to be learning by them .Whoever you are you have got to admit the tactics we use away ARE NOT working .Look at the amout of points we have taken and the goals we have given away Brighton we were lucky to draw Then had so called blips againt Bristol City Crystal Palace NottinghamForest and we beat a very lowly Ipswich side and even after all these results the manager doesnt appesr to think anything is wrong apart from defensive errors.He MAY WELL turn out to be a good manager for Cardiff City but to do so he has to learn quick and stop making the same mistakes The law of averages say that if just drop back and let opposing players come at you all the time then they are likely to eventually wear you down and score but if you attack them then they are more worried about you scoring and have to give more though to you scoring and not camp in your half. IS all of this down to MALKYS tactics OR have we not got the players to do it?

Sun Oct 21, 2012 10:49 am

Nuclearblue wrote:TBH Annis this is not about DJ is it ? It is not just a straight choice between the two. This is about Malky !! But it's a tale of two Malky's one at home and one away.

Spot on, but now that the question has been asked I predict that Malky won 't be our manager for as long as DJ was!

Sun Oct 21, 2012 10:55 am

Forever Blue wrote:In time would you rather have as our manager Malky or Dave Jones ?

And why ?

For me it's a non starter Malky without a doubt. Dj had 6 yrs here and failed to deliver. Had every big name going, fell out with the media and fans, lost the dressing room and most importedly had no plan B.
Also if we went one nil down, u knew that was it, the crowd would go subdued and the game was lost.

I understand your "had no plan B" claim for DJ, but whilst Malky does have a plan B for his squad, he implements it far too late in matches. It's equally as frustrating.

Sun Oct 21, 2012 11:14 am

Malky for me - he has passion for me and more discipline with the players :ayatollah:

I had respect for Dave Jones for the Wembley trips but Dave Jones annoyed me when he said the Swansea game was just another 3 points - OH REALLY !!!!. :twisted:

Sun Oct 21, 2012 11:51 am

DJ for me. Better experienced manager and has got promoted to the prem before, MM is getting too big for his boots, needs to realise he's a new manager and stop being so stubborn, needs to listen to people around him and stop bumming his favourites, it will cost us this season. Get billy Davies in

Sun Oct 21, 2012 12:03 pm

What a timid option you have given,would it not be a more beneficial to start a more meaningful debate by posing the question are we happy to stay with Mackay even if a more experience manager,like Redknapp became available

Sun Oct 21, 2012 12:14 pm

seanccfc1983 wrote:DJ for me. Better experienced manager and has got promoted to the prem before, MM is getting too big for his boots, needs to realise he's a new manager and stop being so stubborn, needs to listen to people around him and stop bumming his favourites, it will cost us this season. Get billy Davies in

Billy Davies? I think I would rather see JET retire and become our manager. :lol:

Sun Oct 21, 2012 1:04 pm

An interesting thread, with some very interesting posts. My take on this subject is that DJ always thought that he had nothing to prove, where as MM still has. Malky may not have a better chance to achieve, after this season.

Sun Oct 21, 2012 1:18 pm

Forever Blue wrote:In time would you rather have as our manager Malky or Dave Jones ?

And why ?

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=95198

Sun Oct 21, 2012 2:01 pm

norfolkin welsh wrote:As far as im concerne the jury is still out. Unconvincing team selections and the over cautious approach away are hurting us. Would like to see the players given their heads and told to go out and express themselves. We have the squad and not really getting the best out of it yet.
Was DJ any better? Probably not, same as MM no plan B and sticks to his favourites. My main feeling is that opposition managers are tactically superior to us in nullifying our threats and stopping the players hurting them. MM is on a very steep learning curve with all the sweets in the shop at his disposal, now he has to get the mixture right. To get out of the league we will have to do beter than we currenly are away from home, and hope we maintain the formidable home form.

No Plan B.

Of course.

Behind against Wolves, changed things, took them to the cleaners. Millwall, Ipswich, Leeds...
All poor first half performances

Sun Oct 21, 2012 2:33 pm

taffyapple wrote:
norfolkin welsh wrote:As far as im concerne the jury is still out. Unconvincing team selections and the over cautious approach away are hurting us. Would like to see the players given their heads and told to go out and express themselves. We have the squad and not really getting the best out of it yet.

No Plan B.

Of course.

Behind against Wolves, changed things, took them to the cleaners. Millwall, Ipswich, Leeds...
All poor first half performances

Have to be worried about our plan A with the amount of poor first halves we've had so far this season to be honest.

Though in general our poor first halves haven't been too detrimental. Bristol and Forest aside.

Sun Oct 21, 2012 2:50 pm

It doe's beg the question though, are we currently really a top two team (at the end of the season)?
Not being negative, but i don't think so,,,,for the time being.

Sun Oct 21, 2012 3:18 pm

YES the plan B being play MORE than 1 up front

Sun Oct 21, 2012 4:17 pm

Anis - I think Malky is the right man to take us up to the premier league this year. We will beat Watford, Burnley at home, that will send us back to the top of the league.
But you have to admit, the away form and the change of formation must need to improve starting from right................. NOW.

The 4-5-1 at away is clearly not working... why be so cautious if we going to lose anyway? Might as well GO for it, attack and score goals!!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sun Oct 21, 2012 4:56 pm

My opinion is that last season Malky did far more with the resources available than DJ could have. However, if DJ had £9m to spend he would have made better use of it than Malky has. We have every chance of staying ahead of the pack this year but we need to play better away from home. Last season we were extremely solid while being defensive away from home. This year we are leaking goals away from home even though we are trying to be defensive. The best teams can go away from home and play as if they are the home team. We can't which shows we are not going to be running away with the league.

Sun Oct 21, 2012 5:02 pm

And why ?

Malky annis,but he to has got to know when to change the setup,if we are winning then leave alone,but when you are losing you must know when and how to change things..... :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Sun Oct 21, 2012 5:37 pm

CardiffBatman888 wrote:Anis - I think Malky is the right man to take us up to the premier league this year. We will beat Watford, Burnley at home, that will send us back to the top of the league.
But you have to admit, the away form and the change of formation must need to improve starting from right................. NOW.

The 4-5-1 at away is clearly not working... why be so cautious if we going to lose anyway? Might as well GO for it, attack and score goals!!

Like the banner. :lol: Let's hope Malky sees it. I do believe in him by the way but he needs to wise up on his team selection and formation away from home :ayatollah:

Sun Oct 21, 2012 6:12 pm

Nuclearblue wrote:TBH Annis this is not about DJ is it ? It is not just a straight choice between the two. This is about Malky !! But it's a tale of two Malky's one at home and one away.

I agree 100% here with Nukes^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

If it was a staright choice between the two, then I'd definitely say Malky, but what about a 3rd option of someone who will play attacking football away from home, and not resort to hoofball.

Sun Oct 21, 2012 6:34 pm

No contest Malky :ayatollah:

Tue Oct 23, 2012 5:15 am

At the end of the season some posters may have there wish come true and Vincent will start looking elsewhere for a manager to replace MM.
Promotion I believe is a prerequisite for MM this season so if his 4-5-1 away from home fails to bring in the required points to get us there his head may roll.
He is a better manager than DJ though IMO, time will tell how good.