Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

In The Last 10 Years Club Who Won Automatic Promotion

Sat Oct 20, 2012 4:37 pm

have won an average of 21 points after 12 games.

So far we have got 22 points from 11 games with a home match against Watford to come on Tuesday evening. Everyone will be disappointed by the result today but make no mistake we are ahead of where we need to be.

Only once in the last 10 years have we won more games in the first 12 matches and if we win on Tuesday it will be our best start in the last 10 years. Only twice in the last 10 years have we averaged more goals per game and 2 or more goals on Tuesday will make it our 2nd best start.

In my opinion there are plenty of very positive indicators that suggest this is going to be a very big season for us. We lost today, disappointing yes, disaster no.

Bring on Watford.

:ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Re: In The Last 10 Years Club Who Won Automatic Promotion

Sat Oct 20, 2012 4:50 pm

We will have six points from the next two games, no problem!!

:ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Sat Oct 20, 2012 5:07 pm

castleblue wrote:have won an average of 21 points after 12 games.

So far we have got 22 points from 11 games with a home match against Watford to come on Tuesday evening. Everyone will be disappointed by the result today but make no mistake we are ahead of where we need to be.

Only once in the last 10 years have we won more games in the first 12 matches and if we win on Tuesday it will be our best start in the last 10 years. Only twice in the last 10 years have we averaged more goals per game and 2 or more goals on Tuesday will make it our 2nd best start.

In my opinion there are plenty of very positive indicators that suggest this is going to be a very big season for us. We lost today, disappointing yes, disaster no.

Bring on Watford.

Good Post.

Sat Oct 20, 2012 5:12 pm

Well said and we will unleash a fresh Noone, Bellamy and Mutch on Tuesday night, today's team selection looked tactical :ayatollah:

Sat Oct 20, 2012 10:22 pm

I remember last season that Southampton had good home results,and won the odd game away before xmas.
The key will be where we are at the end of the year,who MM will bring in Jan,and can we make that final push :ayatollah:

Good stats as always Gary :ayatollah:

Sat Oct 20, 2012 11:00 pm

I believe we will beat watford and burnley also but i really hope malky stops being so negative away from home,we have the ability to beat any team in this league in their own back yard
be positive malky :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Sat Oct 20, 2012 11:18 pm

22 points from 33 is brilliant to me.

Sun Oct 21, 2012 8:27 am

englishbluebird wrote:I believe we will beat watford and burnley also but i really hope malky stops being so negative away from home,we have the ability to beat any team in this league in their own back yard
be positive malky :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

good point

Sun Oct 21, 2012 11:10 am

Bring on Watford.

Stato!

Sun Oct 21, 2012 3:30 pm

2pts a game will take us up .... win and a draw in the next 2 games will put us on 26 pts from 13 games! .. that`ll do me!

Sun Oct 21, 2012 8:10 pm

Over the last 10 years, 82 points has been average for automatic promotion. Bring it on :ayatollah:

Mon Oct 22, 2012 3:00 pm

If we win on tue it will be our secound best start in the last 10years. 2006/07 after 12 games we were top with 29points and +16 on goal diff, and had lost one game in the 12 starts.

Mon Oct 22, 2012 3:03 pm

Bring on Watford.

Good facts Gary and good to hear :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Mon Oct 22, 2012 6:50 pm

Ackers wrote:Over the last 10 years, 82 points has been average for automatic promotion. Bring it on :ayatollah:

We're on course right now to finish on 92!! :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

That Malky is SHIT haha

Tue Oct 23, 2012 9:15 am

Useful mate. If you've looked into it, would be interested to know as well, what percentage of the teams going up from top 2 had come down from the premiership in the previous year, and then, what percentage of the teams going up through play-offs were also former premiership sides (could probably do this myself, I realise, wouldn't take long to check).

I would imagine it would read something like - minimum 10 out of the 20 teams going up automatically were in the Prem the season before, and then a good 4 or 5 of the teams going up through the play-offs were also ex-Prem.

It's for this reason, I think, that getting out of the Championship is extremely difficult, with only 1 realistic automatic place, and the play-offs very difficult - it's about as tough as going up from the Conference, where there's just 1 place, plus the play-off place.

I wonder if we should have some kind of financial reward for being in the Championship for 10 years, just as Premiership clubs get a massive parachute payment when they come down? (I realise the cash injection from VT might be seen as an equivalent).

Tue Oct 23, 2012 9:42 am

nickblue22 wrote:Useful mate. If you've looked into it, would be interested to know as well, what percentage of the teams going up from top 2 had come down from the premiership in the previous year, and then, what percentage of the teams going up through play-offs were also former premiership sides (could probably do this myself, I realise, wouldn't take long to check).

I would imagine it would read something like - minimum 10 out of the 20 teams going up automatically were in the Prem the season before, and then a good 4 or 5 of the teams going up through the play-offs were also ex-Prem.

It's for this reason, I think, that getting out of the Championship is extremely difficult, with only 1 realistic automatic place, and the play-offs very difficult - it's about as tough as going up from the Conference, where there's just 1 place, plus the play-off place.

I wonder if we should have some kind of financial reward for being in the Championship for 10 years, just as Premiership clubs get a massive parachute payment when they come down? (I realise the cash injection from VT might be seen as an equivalent).

38% of the teams who won automatic promotion over the last 10 years were in the PL the season before. But only 4 clubs have actually won an immediate return, West Brom have done it 3 times, Birmingham twice, Sunderland and Newcastle once each.

As for the playoffs only one club West Ham Utd have won an immediate return to the PL by winning the playoffs last season.

I bet your surprised by how few ex PL clubs have won an immediate return by either automatic promotion or the playoffs.

:ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Tue Oct 23, 2012 10:27 am

38% of the teams who won automatic promotion over the last 10 years were in the PL the season before. But only 4 clubs have actually won an immediate return, West Brom have done it 3 times, Birmingham twice, Sunderland and Newcastle once each.

As for the playoffs only one club West Ham Utd have won an immediate return to the PL by winning the playoffs last season.

I bet your surprised by how few ex PL clubs have won an immediate return by either automatic promotion or the playoffs.

Useful mate, but I don't think it really matters about the number of teams, it's the amount of places taken. From what you're saying, I assume that means that 7 of the 20 places were taken by a team that has just come down. You're right, it's not quite as many as I thought it would be, but still means your percentage chance is cut, and let's face it, we can be pretty sure that Bolton, Blackburn and Blackpool are all going to be in the mix this year.

Tue Oct 23, 2012 10:31 am

nickblue22 wrote:

we can be pretty sure that Bolton, Blackburn and Blackpool are all going to be in the mix this year.

I bet Wolves will give it a good go as well ;)

Tue Oct 23, 2012 10:36 am

heh.