Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Malky wants Whittingham to be more vocal

Fri Oct 19, 2012 12:28 pm

MALKY Mackay believes there is still far more to come from Bluebirds playmaker Peter Whittingham – and wants to hear him talk his way to the top.

“I want to hear his voice out on the pitch,” says Cardiff City manager Mackay. “He is a player who should be heard.”

Mackay has made Whitts a central figure in everything the team do and he will be a leader in tomorrow’s Championship clash with Nottingham Forest at the City Ground (3pm).

Whittingham, who has missed only one Championship match in the last three seasons and none since Mackay took charge, has fired six goals in this campaign and has been in fine form.

He is a crucial player in a City team who are top of the Championship and aiming for promotion to the Premier League.

Mackay, though, is still demanding more from the creative Whitts, who can do so much damage to the opposition with his left foot.

“I push him all the time, I want more from him every day,” says Mackay. “For me, Whitts is a fantastic talent, but I believe there is so much more to come from him.

“He has signed three contracts since I have been here which shows what I feel about him.

“There are no doubts about his ability, but I felt he was playing on the periphery in Cardiff performances too often.

“When my team, as a defender, coach or manager, played against Whittingham I worried when he was on the ball. When I came to Cardiff I made it clear what was wanted – to get Whitts on the ball as often as possible.

“That being the case, I moved him into the centre and that’s where we feel he can be far more effective.

“There are no doubts about his quality going forward and he is working to keep improving, while he always had the ability to defend.

“That hadn’t come out as well as I felt it could. He has worked hard on that side of his game, wins far more second ball and is so much better at tracking runners.

“Now I want him to take more of a role in leading the team. I want to hear his voice out there. I want every player to hear him.

“He would vent his frustration at himself over something that had happened or mutter to himself under his breath when he wasn’t happy. Now I want him to express that.

“Footballers look up to good players. There is an automatic respect. Whitts has an all-round ability which picks him out as a top talent. But there is still a long way for him to go and a lot of work ahead for all of us.”

Mackay has Tommy Smith and Jordon Mutch back in the City squad after injuries for the match at Forest, while a decision on Craig Bellamy will be made after training today.

The former Liverpool and Manchester City striker will train this morning and travel to the Midlands with a final decision being made tomorrow on the day of the match.

“Tommy and Jordon are back in the mix and have trained all week,” says Mackay. “They will be in the squad, while we will give Craig a little longer.

“We haven’t made a decision either way yet. He has been training and I will talk to him at lunchtime tomorrow and, along with our medical staff, we’ll decide how he is.”

City make the trip to Forest having won six of their last seven league matches.

Centre-forward Heidar Helguson scored twice in City’s last league game, a 2-1 win at Ipswich Town, and Mackay was delighted to see the Icelandic international hit the target.

Helguson has scored four goals for the Bluebirds and Mackay says: “Heidar is a player with over 50 international caps, while he has spent a long time during his career playing Premier League football.

“When Queens Park Rangers were promoted people thought he would move on, but he stayed with them and scored 12 goals at the top level.

“Heidar knows where the goal is. but there is far more to his game than that.

“He does a job for the team in terms of his robust style of play and aerial ability which for his height is unbelievable.

“Defenders really don’t want to play against him. He causes issues and problems for opposing teams which gives his team-mates space.

“Whether or not he scores, Heidar does a highly effective job for Cardiff.

“But he was in the right place at the right time and looking for a chance for his first against Ipswich and then showed fantastic aerial ability to score the winner.

“Add to that his willingness to work for the team and you can see what he brings. In the closing minutes at Portman Road he was chasing lost causes into the corners – and won us a crucial corner when we needed it.

“Heidar is a big team player and we are delighted he is a Cardiff City player.”

Mackay is likely to stick with an unchanged back five for tomorrow’s match at the City Ground. Matt Connolly will again be in alongside captain Mark Hudson with Ben Turner among the substitutes.

“Ben was magnificent last season, but Matt Connolly has stepped in and not put a foot wrong,” says Mackay.

“It’s good for everybody if we have that sort of competition.”

Mutch, fit again after a foot problem, and Smith, who has recovered from a groin strain, are both in contention to start – and Mackay must make some tough decisions.

“We have a lot of good players at this club and they are all keen to play,” says Mackay. “It’s that quality and competition which has helped take us to the top of the table.

“Now we must work even harder to stay there and the players will work for each other.”

City follow tomorrow’s clash with Forest by playing successive home matches – against Watford next Tuesday and then Burnley next Saturday.

Read More http://www.walesonline.co.uk/footballna ... z29kOZFgF4

Re: Malky wants Whittingham to be more vocal

Fri Oct 19, 2012 1:56 pm

Yeh RIGHT

As if Whitts needs to speak.

He'd probably come out with:

Alright lads, i'm off to watch a movie tonight, try not to go overboard
if i fluke another free kick, I gets claustrophobic AND..................

I do what i want

:ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Fri Oct 19, 2012 5:47 pm

I thought he does his talking with his boots.

Fri Oct 19, 2012 8:25 pm

I'll be honest I was nervous when MM came because I didn't think we would see the best from Whittingham but it's great to see him putting pen to contracts under MM.. he must be enjoying his Football here. :ayatollah: