Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Has Ledley gone backwards as a player in the SPL?

Thu Oct 18, 2012 1:49 pm

Seeing his last two performances with Wales, I think so. He was turning into a premier league midfielder when he was playing for us.

I said it then and I will say it again. Ledley going to Celtic is the worst career decision he could have made. From what I have seen on show he was three times the player he is now when he played for us. Really hope we bring him back to the CCS or a top flight club take a chance on him soon. Such a waste of talent plying his trade in the SPL :cry:

Re: Has Ledley gone backwards as a player in the SPL?

Thu Oct 18, 2012 1:54 pm

excatly what I was thinking
he looks about 2 stone heavier then he should be and wouldnt stand a chance of getting in our side now

Thu Oct 18, 2012 1:54 pm

He's a top player for Celtic. It's just a poorer quality league

Thu Oct 18, 2012 1:55 pm

THE CARDIFF LAD wrote:Seeing his last two performances with Wales, I think so. He was turning into a premier league midfielder when he was playing for us.

I said it then and I will say it again. Ledley going to Celtic is the worst career decision he could have made. From what I have seen on show he was three times the player he is now when he played for us. Really hope we bring him back to the CCS or a top flight club take a chance on him soon. Such a waste of talent plying his trade in the SPL :cry:

Based on his performances for Wales you would have a very very good point.

Thu Oct 18, 2012 2:06 pm

Yes everyone does who goes up there.

Thu Oct 18, 2012 2:07 pm

3years ago. You'd have looked at Wales and though Jeeeeze we have a chance. Ramsay, collision, Allan, bale, Bellamy. Ledley had the potential to be in that group of mainly young players. Now he couldn't lace there boots!

Thu Oct 18, 2012 2:30 pm

milly44 wrote:3years ago. You'd have looked at Wales and though Jeeeeze we have a chance. Ramsay, collision, Allan, bale, Bellamy. Ledley had the potential to be in that group of mainly young players. Now he couldn't lace there boots!

bang on

Thu Oct 18, 2012 2:45 pm

He's been injured for a while as well hasn't he? I get the impression that they don't really look after their injured players too well up there.

Thu Oct 18, 2012 2:48 pm

Ledley was never that good anyway. Complete myth he was good enoght for the premiership.
Bottom 6 of the championship player..

Thu Oct 18, 2012 3:02 pm

jinks-rct wrote:Ledley was never that good anyway. Complete myth he was good enoght for the premiership.

Please tell me you're joking! :shock:

When he played for us, when Jones moved him into centre midfield it was a stroke of genius. At the time when he played for us he was probably the best box to box midfielder in the championship. He was a better version of Aron Gunnarsson imo.
Don't get me wrong I think Gunnar is a really good box to box central midfielder but Ledley had a bit more than him.

Joe was equally as good attacking in the final third and defending too. He wasn't that great, I mean we only turned down a £6 million offer from a premier league club for him.. :roll:

Thu Oct 18, 2012 3:07 pm

He should not be in the Welsh team, that simple and we should play 4-3-3.

Thu Oct 18, 2012 3:12 pm

I don't think it's his fault that he's declining as a player though (apart from the original decision to go there). He's playing in a League 1 standard team against League 2/conference standard teams, it makes sense that he's getting progressively worse. You're right though, if he'd stayed with us things could have been very different.

And imagine if we'd managed to hold on to him until now? He could have been the difference between automatic promotion and playoffs in DJ's final season and might have been the creative flair that we needed when Whitts got figured out last season. I can't even imagine what he'd be like in our midfield this season with the progression he would have made! Massive shame!

Thu Oct 18, 2012 3:44 pm

THE CARDIFF LAD wrote:
jinks-rct wrote:Ledley was never that good anyway. Complete myth he was good enoght for the premiership.

When he played for us, when Jones moved him into centre midfield it was a stroke of genius. At the time when he played for us he was probably the best box to box midfielder in the championship. He was a better version of Aron Gunnarsson imo.
Don't get me wrong I think Gunnar is a really good box to box central midfielder but Ledley had a bit more than him.

Joe was equally as good attacking in the final third and defending too. He wasn't that great, I mean we only turned down a £6 million offer from a premier league club for him.. :roll:

No I have to agree with Jinks I am afraid.
I have no idea why Ledley was idolised so much (not just saying this because he's not a City player anymore!)

When did he ever take a man on and beat him?
all his passes were sideways and no further than ten feet.
How many goals did he score if he was supposed to be an attacking midfielder.
when did he ever put in a crunching tackle.

The only think that joe did have was a tremendous work rate and fitness level.

(Sounds like a welsh version of Don Cowie to me) but I honestly think Cowie is a better player

Thu Oct 18, 2012 3:58 pm

cant see him comming back to us as he would'nt get in the team.Anyway I've always said I wouldnt want our club to pay for a player who left us for free :ayatollah:

Thu Oct 18, 2012 4:06 pm

agree with jinks also. he doesn't offer anything as a footballer. can't pass, can't tackle and can't shoot. sh*t version of gareth stoker. Wales were one nil to Scotland when he got taken off, the rest as they say is history. robson kanu is much better than him.......the 6million move has to be complete crap, we had to sell ramsey chopra Johnson gunter etc cos we needed the money, so the same would have happened with ledley if it were true. glad he went when he did

Thu Oct 18, 2012 4:13 pm

THE CARDIFF LAD wrote:

Why didnt the riddler sell if there was a serious offer of 6m wasnt we on our arses?
If he was that good a team would have bought him. he wasnt that good though

Thu Oct 18, 2012 4:16 pm

the standard is so bad, he can afford to slack off put weight on and enjoy his life,

obviously its lack of ambition he's happy earning buckets of cash setting his life up for the next 30 years,
rather than taking a risk with a big team being a fringe player and getting shipped out back to the championship

Also he gets to play against barcelona/real madrid,
and appear in the champions league on a yearly basis,

Thu Oct 18, 2012 4:25 pm

englishbluebird wrote:excatly what I was thinking
he looks about 2 stone heavier then he should be and wouldnt stand a chance of getting in our side now

Too many deep fried mars bars me thinks :lol: :lol:

Thu Oct 18, 2012 5:19 pm

Anybody would go backwards in the SPL. Even worse now without Rangers. Imagine, a league where the next three champions are known in advance!

Thu Oct 18, 2012 6:13 pm

llangainbluebird wrote:Anybody would go backwards in the SPL. Even worse now without Rangers. Imagine, a league where the next three champions are known in advance!

Nonsense. Jelavic was on fire there, went to the Prem and is still performing. It's all about the individual. Ledley has himself to blame entirely. He has slacked on purpose, took a happy enough wage to live off and knows he doesn't have to bust his gut every game because of the range in quality in the division.

Thu Oct 18, 2012 6:16 pm

JBCCFC1927 wrote:
llangainbluebird wrote:Anybody would go backwards in the SPL. Even worse now without Rangers. Imagine, a league where the next three champions are known in advance!

Nonsense. Jelavic was on fire there, went to the Prem and is still performing. It's all about the individual. Ledley has himself to blame entirely. He has slacked on purpose, took a happy enough wage to live off and knows he doesn't have to bust his gut every game because of the range in quality in the division.

So Jelavic didn't go backwards did he? If anything, he went forwards :lol:

Thu Oct 18, 2012 6:22 pm

OhhhGa wrote:
JBCCFC1927 wrote:

Jelavic excelled in the SPL and that got him his move to the Prem. The notion that anybody would go backwards in the SPL is invalid.

Thu Oct 18, 2012 6:45 pm

JBCCFC1927 wrote:
OhhhGa wrote:
JBCCFC1927 wrote:

Jelavic excelled in the SPL and that got him his move to the Prem. The notion that anybody would go backwards in the SPL is invalid.

I don't think you fully understand the concept of going backwards. You would have to MOVE to the SPL and then deterioate (AKA do a Ledley). Thus your use of Jeleavic is invalid as, in fact, he did the complete opposite.

Thu Oct 18, 2012 6:48 pm

OhhhGa wrote:
JBCCFC1927 wrote:
OhhhGa wrote:
JBCCFC1927 wrote:

I don't think you fully understand the concept of going backwards. You would have to MOVE to the SPL and then deterioate (AKA do a Ledley). Thus your use of Jeleavic is invalid as, in fact, he did the complete opposite.

Are you mentally retarded?

the other poster stated 'Anybody would go backwards in the SPL'.

I stated that is impossible as Jelavic excelled in the SPL and never went backwards. Thus you are agreeing with me. Dear God. :roll:

You are aware Jelavic moved to the SPL before he moved to Everton right? :?

He moved to the SPL - excelled
He moved to Everton - is still performing

therefore the notion made by the othre poster that anybody who moves to the SPL will go backwards is bullshit because Jelavic moved to the SPL and got better.

Thu Oct 18, 2012 7:37 pm

JBCCFC1927 wrote:
OhhhGa wrote:
JBCCFC1927 wrote:
OhhhGa wrote:
JBCCFC1927 wrote:

Are you mentally retarded?

the other poster stated 'Anybody would go backwards in the SPL'.

I stated that is impossible as Jelavic excelled in the SPL and never went backwards. Thus you are agreeing with me. Dear God. :roll:

You are aware Jelavic moved to the SPL before he moved to Everton right? :?

He moved to the SPL - excelled
He moved to Everton - is still performing

therefore the notion made by the othre poster that anybody who moves to the SPL will go backwards is bullshit because Jelavic moved to the SPL and got better.

No, I'm not mentally retarded (I don't go to Aber for a start ;) )

So, it's impossible to go backwards in the SPL because Jelavic was good in it? Eh?

Is it also impossible to go backwards in League 1 because Rhodes was good in it? Surely you've just chosen one outstanding player in a crap league and used it to generalise massively?

Thu Oct 18, 2012 7:59 pm

OhhhGa wrote:

So, it's impossible to go backwards in the SPL because Jelavic was good in it? Eh?

Is it also impossible to go backwards in League 1 because Rhodes was good in it? Surely you've just chosen one outstanding player in a crap league and used it to generalise massively?

Who said it was impossible? The fact of the matter is he said 'anybody' which is proven false by one person. You might not go to Aber but I bet you do some spacker degree. :roll:

Thu Oct 18, 2012 8:10 pm

JBCCFC1927 wrote:
OhhhGa wrote:

Who said it was impossible? The fact of the matter is he said 'anybody' which is proven false by one person. You might not go to Aber but I bet you do some spacker degree. :roll:

Great so, in conclusion, Ledley hasn't gone backwards in the SPL because another player didn't :roll:

Surely any degree has worth if it's what the individual is interested in and can gain a career with? I wouldn't judge your degree to be honest, if it's what you want to do then go for it.

Thu Oct 18, 2012 8:22 pm

OhhhGa wrote:
JBCCFC1927 wrote:
OhhhGa wrote:

Great so, in conclusion, Ledley hasn't gone backwards in the SPL because another player didn't :roll:

You linked the two cases, I didn't. I was just stating that not every player who plays in the SPL goes backwards, which is true.

Thu Oct 18, 2012 8:24 pm

JBCCFC1927 wrote:
OhhhGa wrote:
JBCCFC1927 wrote:
OhhhGa wrote:

You linked the two cases, I didn't. I was just stating that not every player who plays in the SPL goes backwards, which is true.

Ignored the degree part then :lol:

Thu Oct 18, 2012 8:25 pm

OhhhGa wrote:
JBCCFC1927 wrote:
OhhhGa wrote:
JBCCFC1927 wrote:
OhhhGa wrote:

Ignored the degree part then :lol:

What degree are you doing by the way?