Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

dave jones and his signings..

Thu Oct 18, 2012 1:23 pm

just looking through and thinking about some of the awful signings jones made in the past.. he seemed to offer a contract to anyone!!

a few names that you will remember:

iwan redan
andrea ferretti
guylain ndumbu nsungu (dave)
jermaine darlington
nicky glombard
phil mulryne

could go on forever..

i know it was out early days but sometimes jones would offer a contract to anyone!

can anyone find a full list of all jones signings? :ayatollah:

Re: dave jones and his signings..

Thu Oct 18, 2012 1:50 pm

BluebirdsTilIDie wrote:just looking through and thinking about some of the awful signings jones made in the past.. he seemed to offer a contract to anyone!!

iwan redan
andrea ferretti
jermaine darlington
nicky glombard
phil mulryne

could go on forever..

i know it was out early days but sometimes jones would offer a contract to anyone!

I think you will find that was Luigi Glombard! ;)

Thu Oct 18, 2012 1:51 pm

paying an undermotivated jason koumas 26 k a week as got to be one of his top clangers

Thu Oct 18, 2012 1:51 pm

THE CARDIFF LAD wrote:
BluebirdsTilIDie wrote:just looking through and thinking about some of the awful signings jones made in the past.. he seemed to offer a contract to anyone!!

iwan redan
andrea ferretti
jermaine darlington
nicky glombard
phil mulryne

could go on forever..

I think you will find that was Luigi Glombard! ;)

very true dunno where i got nicky from lol!

Thu Oct 18, 2012 2:06 pm

Michael Ricketts, Kevin Campbell, Matt Green, Nick McCoy, Warren Feeney, Robbie Fowler, Jimmy-Floyd Hasselbaink, Steve McClean & Miguel Comminges to name a few.

Thu Oct 18, 2012 2:12 pm

yes, he signed lorryloads of mediocrity, but he could never build a team like malky has been able to. because of the parameters he had to make plenty of signings which were calculated gambles.....

he could look at last years team, identify which players to build around, and add expensive players like maynard and smith (wages). jones could never do that and i dont think that can be underistmated :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Thu Oct 18, 2012 2:29 pm

he made some stinkers but also brought in
marshall,super kevin mcnaughton,hudson, whitts,burkey among others and got the best out of jay bothroyd
very good manager but lousy attitude in my opinion

Thu Oct 18, 2012 2:29 pm

I'm not a great fan of Jones but just to balance things up a bit here are a few slightly better players he signed:
David Marshall
Kev McNaughton
Roger Johnson
Glen Loovens
Steve McPhail
Ricky Scimeca
Peter Whittingham
Jay Bothroyd
Michael Chopra

I'd say that he was in credit on player recruitment, certainly financially. Not surprising that when he had little money to spend he took a punt on a few cheap long shots and that many of them didn't come off.

Thu Oct 18, 2012 2:51 pm

yeah i know he brought some good players aswell but was targeting the shit players not the good signings

Thu Oct 18, 2012 3:20 pm

even though he was only on loan, i thought Jay-Emmanuel Thomas was utter garbage. Kelvin Etuhu was another loanee who didnt perform.

Thu Oct 18, 2012 3:30 pm

BluebirdsTilIDie wrote:yeah i know he brought some good players aswell but was targeting the shit players not the good signings

Why?

Thu Oct 18, 2012 4:39 pm

EDDIE JOHNSON USA USA :shock: :shock: :lol: :lol:

Thu Oct 18, 2012 5:07 pm

As another poster stated, he did also sign some of the best players we've seen.

He does get a rough time old Jonesy. It's just a shame that he didn't walk away rather than be pushed out of the door, I'm sure he would have been well spoke of then.

Thu Oct 18, 2012 5:31 pm

How can anyone forget piss head J Lloyd Samuel :shock: :x

Thu Oct 18, 2012 6:05 pm

JLS, Eddie and Commingues stand out for me.

And Etuhu. Why he was brought on in the playoff final instead of Rossco I'll never know... :roll:

Thu Oct 18, 2012 9:58 pm

His best signings Solomon Taiwo leaving him out cost us promotion.

Thu Oct 18, 2012 11:40 pm

Most of those players were either bought dirt cheap or were frees on low wages (Im assuming). Most of them were signed in the days when we had no money and not many players were willing to come.