Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

' CCFC ' FOOTBALL AND THE FINANCES - PART 2

Tue Oct 16, 2012 5:34 pm

THE FOOTBALL

I have written previously that I believe we have a squad that is 90% at where we need to be, we have quality players throughout the team and there is no doubt that other teams would love to take some of the players we have to be their own, we have match winners in our squad, players capable and maybe, in some cases, should be playing in the Premier League. In midfield we have strength in depth, players who can interchange, rotate position, goal scorers, creative players but I shall say it until I am blue in the face, we are desperately short of cover defensively. I would like to know what Malky’s plans are if there was an injury to Kevin McNaughton or Andrew Taylor?

Have we got adequate cover for either of those players in the positions of full back, it can be argued that if Taylor got injured then we give youth a chance and Ben Nugent is given the nod, but without meaning any disrespect to Ben, is he ready for the challenge of the Championship?

Possibly, McNaughton could cover at left back and Matt Connolly slots in at right back but who is then the cover on the bench for the whole of the defensive line, let alone particular positions? All these questions are thrown up by the injury to just one player, our left back.

The same question can be asked of the right back position, what about suspension or an injury within the first quarter of the game, are we willing to risk the possibility of losing one or two points simply because we have not already adequately covered the positions before an eventuality?

The difference to winning automatic promotion could come down to a single point or even goal difference; these are the finest of margins we are talking about. The question for me is, why go as far as we have this summer, with everything that has happened, to not give ourselves the very best chance of delivering but going 90% of the way.

The other position that I strongly believe we need to strengthen is that of the attack, I honestly feel that we need a target man, a player who can play in a formation of one up top or with a partner, as much as we want to see football played on the deck we have to be brutally honest in our assessment of the style of play served up under Malky and that is, it is not always the prettiest, free flowing on the floor football that many fans would like to see, don’t get me wrong I am not complaining about where that brand of football has taken us but due to the style surely a target man would bring so much more to the team.

The target man, who is tall, strong, can hold the ball up, play the knock downs, be aggressive, and score goals and if he has pace then all the better, maybe I am describing a top of the Premier League striker but I am sure that type of player is available to get today. Malky signed Nicky Maynard after a whole summer of monitoring his situation at West Ham, this was the cherry on top of the cake, the manager identified Maynard as the striker to get the goals, and unfortunately injury put pay to his season or at least the majority of it, so now we have to look at a different option.

Etien Velikonja, I know very little about but judging by his size and what little I have seen of him, I believe he is considered as a replacement for Maynard but has yet to be given an opportunity to take over from Maynard. Craig Bellamy can certainly cover for Maynard but the question would be, could Craig play every game? I think we all know the answer to that one!

For me Heidar Helguson is the perfect cover for the target man or possibly even to play alongside the target man we have not got. Helguson possesses the qualities and experience needed to get out of this division, he is a war horse, a battler, he can score goals but as the lone striker, which Malky has shown on many occasions he favours away from home, I don’t believe Helguson is the answer in that formation.

I appreciate that some may point to the fact that the transfer window is not open and it is only loans that are available but I am sure there ways, for example there is the possibility of loaning a player until January but committing to buy today, I am certain we could insure the player for his value, so if he was injured whilst on loan then the insurance pays out to the selling club in that eventuality.

The point I am making is why wait, why risk losing a point or two because of a lack of depth or options when we have come incredibly far, so much so that it would be suicidal to spend the amounts we have and not go that little bit further in the grand scheme of things to give ourselves the best possible chance available to us.

If we fail to reach the Premier League because we have been beaten in the race by better teams and lady luck has decided not sprinkle any good fortune on our team then so be it, but if we fail because we have failed to act in positions where we are obviously under strength in terms of numbers, then inevitably there will be blame attached and it will be either the manager or our owner who will come under scrutiny from the fans.

For me the difference between having the three positions covered that I have written about is the difference between ‘We can achieve’ and ‘we will achieve!’

Read Part 3 - The Finances viewtopic.php?f=6&t=94885 :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Re: ' CCFC ' FOOTBALL AND THE FINANCES - PART 2

Wed Oct 17, 2012 10:48 am

Carl,

How long have you been in football, who did you play for , what teams Proffesionally have you managed. Just Curious.

Wed Oct 17, 2012 10:49 pm

carlccfc wrote:THE FOOTBALL

I have written previously that I believe we have a squad that is 90% at where we need to be, we have quality players throughout the team and there is no doubt that other teams would love to take some of the players we have to be their own, we have match winners in our squad, players capable and maybe, in some cases, should be playing in the Premier League. In midfield we have strength in depth, players who can interchange, rotate position, goal scorers, creative players but I shall say it until I am blue in the face, we are desperately short of cover defensively. I would like to know what Malky’s plans are if there was an injury to Kevin McNaughton or Andrew Taylor?

Have we got adequate cover for either of those players in the positions of full back, it can be argued that if Taylor got injured then we give youth a chance and Ben Nugent is given the nod, but without meaning any disrespect to Ben, is he ready for the challenge of the Championship?

Possibly, McNaughton could cover at left back and Matt Connolly slots in at right back but who is then the cover on the bench for the whole of the defensive line, let alone particular positions? All these questions are thrown up by the injury to just one player, our left back.

The same question can be asked of the right back position, what about suspension or an injury within the first quarter of the game, are we willing to risk the possibility of losing one or two points simply because we have not already adequately covered the positions before an eventuality?

The difference to winning automatic promotion could come down to a single point or even goal difference; these are the finest of margins we are talking about. The question for me is, why go as far as we have this summer, with everything that has happened, to not give ourselves the very best chance of delivering but going 90% of the way.

The other position that I strongly believe we need to strengthen is that of the attack, I honestly feel that we need a target man, a player who can play in a formation of one up top or with a partner, as much as we want to see football played on the deck we have to be brutally honest in our assessment of the style of play served up under Malky and that is, it is not always the prettiest, free flowing on the floor football that many fans would like to see, don’t get me wrong I am not complaining about where that brand of football has taken us but due to the style surely a target man would bring so much more to the team.

The target man, who is tall, strong, can hold the ball up, play the knock downs, be aggressive, and score goals and if he has pace then all the better, maybe I am describing a top of the Premier League striker but I am sure that type of player is available to get today. Malky signed Nicky Maynard after a whole summer of monitoring his situation at West Ham, this was the cherry on top of the cake, the manager identified Maynard as the striker to get the goals, and unfortunately injury put pay to his season or at least the majority of it, so now we have to look at a different option.

Etien Velikonja, I know very little about but judging by his size and what little I have seen of him, I believe he is considered as a replacement for Maynard but has yet to be given an opportunity to take over from Maynard. Craig Bellamy can certainly cover for Maynard but the question would be, could Craig play every game? I think we all know the answer to that one!

For me Heidar Helguson is the perfect cover for the target man or possibly even to play alongside the target man we have not got. Helguson possesses the qualities and experience needed to get out of this division, he is a war horse, a battler, he can score goals but as the lone striker, which Malky has shown on many occasions he favours away from home, I don’t believe Helguson is the answer in that formation.
I appreciate that some may point to the fact that the transfer window is not open and it is only loans that are available but I am sure there ways, for example there is the possibility of loaning a player until January but committing to buy today, I am certain we could insure the player for his value, so if he was injured whilst on loan then the insurance pays out to the selling club in that eventuality.

The point I am making is why wait, why risk losing a point or two because of a lack of depth or options when we have come incredibly far, so much so that it would be suicidal to spend the amounts we have and not go that little bit further in the grand scheme of things to give ourselves the best possible chance available to us.

If we fail to reach the Premier League because we have been beaten in the race by better teams and lady luck has decided not sprinkle any good fortune on our team then so be it, but if we fail because we have failed to act in positions where we are obviously under strength in terms of numbers, then inevitably there will be blame attached and it will be either the manager or our owner who will come under scrutiny from the fans.For me the difference between having the three positions covered that I have written about is the difference between ‘We can achieve’ and ‘we will achieve!’

Read Part 3 - The Finances http://cardiffcityforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=94885 :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

I very much agree with everything you say about the need to strengthen at fullback and a big CF in order to virtually guarantee automatic promotion....and particularly agree with the comments in large text. There's an old saying...."it would be a shame to spoil the ship for a ha'porth of tar" meaning it would be stupid to have come this far and strengthen the team as Malky has done just to fall short of our goal (top two) for the sake of failing to put the last piece of the jigsaw in place...which in this case is a fullback and a quality target man. :ayatollah:

Thu Oct 18, 2012 8:05 pm

Dave that is my sentiments exactly, this club has gone a very long way to build a squad of achieving automatic promotion, I believe we should go that extra percentage to give ourselves the very best opportunity.

Thu Oct 18, 2012 9:01 pm

carlccfc wrote:Dave that is my sentiments exactly, this club has gone a very long way to build a squad of achieving automatic promotion, I believe we should go that extra percentage to give ourselves the very best opportunity.

Do you think Malky will go that extra percentage? Two loans right now to be converted into permanent signings or season long loans come January should do the trick. Who do you have in mind as a big target man? :ayatollah:

Thu Oct 18, 2012 9:21 pm

moonboots wrote:
carlccfc wrote:Dave that is my sentiments exactly, this club has gone a very long way to build a squad of achieving automatic promotion, I believe we should go that extra percentage to give ourselves the very best opportunity.

Do you think Malky will go that extra percentage? Two loans right now to be converted into permanent signings or season long loans come January should do the trick. Who do you have in mind as a big target man? :ayatollah:

I would like to see the players come in now and turn into permanent signings in January, as for a target man, someone like Kenwyn Jones.

Thu Oct 18, 2012 10:15 pm

carlccfc wrote:
moonboots wrote:

I would like to see the players come in now and turn into permanent signings in January, as for a target man, someone like Kenwyn Jones.

He would certainly fit the bill....but how much would he cost?? :ayatollah: