Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Re: anyone into retro gaming?

Mon Oct 15, 2012 7:42 pm

Does an N64 count as retro? Dusted my'n off not so long ago and played goldeneye, best game that's ever been made :)

Mon Oct 15, 2012 8:17 pm

Moon Cresta was my all-time favourite. It was a type of space invaders format but they peel off and swoop down on you. You can dock a single firing ship onto another to give more firepower. 3 ships together possible.
Think it was made by Namco. ?

2nd favourite... Outrun
3rd... Paperboy.
4th... Pitfall (Atari)

All classic games.

Mon Oct 15, 2012 8:37 pm

Mario Polotelli wrote:Most people from Swansea and New Tredegar. Only now Daley Thompsons Decathlon has come out on the ZX Spectrum.

brilliant. shaking the joystick back n fore like f**k to do the 100ms, and having to do the same but pressing the fire button to do the f*cking hurdles!!

Mon Oct 15, 2012 8:39 pm

CraigCCFC wrote:i used to have a commodore 64, loved loading the cassette for an hour only for it not to load :evil:

and this^ many times.... :ayatollah:

had a commodore plus 4 first, then the c64 laser gun pack... bought a commodore amiga 500 after that. champ manager was always the best then..

Mon Oct 15, 2012 8:46 pm

the games were just addictive and class..

loved all of these:

1/ paperboy,
2/outrun
3/ chase hq
4/ bubble bobble 2 player!
5/ double dragon
6/ kick start 2
7/ rambo
8/ wwf wrestling
9/ turtles
10/chuckie egg
11/ pitstop
12/ bombjack
13/ choplifter

i cant remember any others... think when i sold this i had over 100 games...

Mon Oct 15, 2012 8:46 pm

Blackwood_Bluebird wrote:
Mario Polotelli wrote:Most people from Swansea and New Tredegar. Only now Daley Thompsons Decathlon has come out on the ZX Spectrum.

brilliant. shaking the joystick back n fore like f**k to do the 100ms, and having to do the same but pressing the fire button to do the f*cking hurdles!!

I gave up pn the joystick. Z and X to run and space bar to jump :D

Mon Oct 15, 2012 8:49 pm

Mario Polotelli wrote:

I gave up pn the joystick. Z and X to run and space bar to jump :D

did that for a bit too!! in the end bought this : the little red speedstick was bril for these games!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Mon Oct 15, 2012 8:55 pm

track and field was like that where you had to press 2 buttons back and forth and it'd kill your fingers so the trick was to use a pen lid and flick it back and forth really quick. :ayatollah:

Mon Oct 15, 2012 11:57 pm

JBCCFC1927 wrote:track and field was like that where you had to press 2 buttons back and forth and it'd kill your fingers so the trick was to use a pen lid and flick it back and forth really quick. :ayatollah:

Anyone remember the old "Chicken" machines? 10p, the chicken would lay an egg and you got some crappy toy? Get the bottom of one of the eggs, back and forward over the buttons and you could smash every world record easily... :thumbright:

Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:23 am

Toe Jam and Earl, Road Rash (motorbike one where you beat them with a chain), Double Dragon, De Cap Attack

All class.

Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:32 am

scotsjack wrote:
JBCCFC1927 wrote:track and field was like that where you had to press 2 buttons back and forth and it'd kill your fingers so the trick was to use a pen lid and flick it back and forth really quick. :ayatollah:

Anyone remember the old "Chicken" machines? 10p, the chicken would lay an egg and you got some crappy toy? Get the bottom of one of the eggs, back and forward over the buttons and you could smash every world record easily... :thumbright:

No. In Cardiff we have real chickens. :roll:

Tue Oct 16, 2012 3:18 pm

i used to love road rash on the mega drive. racing on bikes plus attacking the other racers with bats. great stuff :D

Tue Oct 16, 2012 3:20 pm

murphy wrote:i used to love road rash on the mega drive. racing on bikes plus attacking the other racers with bats. great stuff :D

Classic

Wed Oct 17, 2012 10:50 am

Had loads of games through my years on this earth from zx spectrum to Xbox 360. Some of my all time tags though. Desert strike. Toe jam an earl . Road rash. Shinobi . Altred beast. Worms. Turtles game for the NES. Goldeneye. Gran tourism 2. Final fantasy 7. ISS pro snes. Ghostbusters and some NFL game for the Atari. Duck hunt. Streets of rage. Golden axe. Loads more to mention. There was this one game for the megadrive called warmonger which I thought was epic.

Wed Oct 17, 2012 10:59 am

Double dragon was the best game ever..
Anyone know if its available on xbox or ps3?

Wed Oct 17, 2012 11:20 am

jinks-rct wrote:Double dragon was the best game ever..

There is a new version out on PS3 and Xbox but it's dogshit! Instead...

Download MAME to your laptop or PC:- http://mamedev.org/

Download Double Dragon here:- http://www.freeroms.com/roms/mame/double_dragon_us.htm

And play the orignal arcade version :thumbright:

(Here's the video on how to set up MAME, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KbQIEyhr0Q0)

Wed Oct 17, 2012 11:49 am

You can get the original and the recent remake on Xbox live and PS3.

Wed Oct 17, 2012 11:50 am

I've just been playing the original Silent Hill on PSOne. Still quite creepy.

Wed Oct 17, 2012 12:09 pm

Karl wrote:

You can get the original and the recent remake on Xbox live and PS3.

Is the remake double dragon neon?
I cant find the old one on ps3 though?

Wed Oct 17, 2012 2:32 pm

I love new retro. Super meat boy - Fez - the dishwasher - awesome games.

Oldskool classics for me are castle of illusion - quack shot - story of Thor - flashback -

Wed Oct 17, 2012 3:41 pm

Chip shop Alley wrote:I love new retro. Super meat boy - Fez - the dishwasher - awesome games.

Oldskool classics for me are castle of illusion - quack shot - story of Thor - flashback -

just won castle of illusion on ebay ;) :ayatollah:

Wed Oct 17, 2012 9:54 pm

thought of a few more, space harrier, r-type, operation wolf. I think the sounds from the loading screen of the old spectrum 48k inspired acid music

Wed Oct 17, 2012 10:06 pm

Classic Mario, Legend of Zelda, Worms, Sonic, Golden Eye... this was my childhood!

Thu Oct 18, 2012 8:03 am

Just to let you all know you can get emulators for your pc that can run images of any game for pretty much any console. Google it to find out more ;)

Thu Oct 18, 2012 8:05 am

Chip shop Alley wrote:I love new retro. Super meat boy - Fez - the dishwasher - awesome games.

flashback was a revolution in new style platform games. the movement of the character was brilliant at the time.

Thu Oct 18, 2012 8:52 am

flashback was a revolution in new style platform games. the movement of the character was brilliant at the time.

You should try deadlight on the Xbox. Few months old. Basically flashback, but in an apocalyptic zombie city!!
Also it's predecessor another world which I was crap at, is avail on the iPhone :)

Wed Oct 24, 2012 9:07 am

Anyone remember James Pond 2 and Mickey Mouse Castle of Illusion on mega drive?

Wed Oct 24, 2012 2:52 pm

i had a zx spectrum with the james bond pack and laser gun, it was the dogs bollox !!! anyone remember 'renagade' (similar to double dragon) ? also loved playing 'dizzy' he was an egg thingybob adventure game, paper boy was a classic too :geek:

Fri Oct 26, 2012 1:01 am

You need to check out Retro City Rampage on Xbox, PS3, Vita and PC.

New retro style game.

Fri Oct 26, 2012 3:09 am

Flashback was class, another coin op that was remade for spectrum with ground breaking player movement was 'strider'