Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Kindle

Fri Oct 05, 2012 12:11 am

Does anyone have one?

My considering getting my mum one for Xmas. She loves reading but loves books, not sure if she would like it or not.

Plus anyone know of any deals?

Re: Kindle

Fri Oct 05, 2012 1:34 am

If you get her one, get her the kindle paperwhite. Buying one soon for university, they're awesome. :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Fri Oct 05, 2012 1:40 am

JBCCFC1927 wrote:If you get her one, get her the kindle paperwhite. Buying one soon for university, they're awesome. :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

What is better about them?

She is one if those people that hates technology until she uses it lol.
Didnt want to use the Internet because she didnt need to.... Now panics if its down for a day.
Said she would never use the Internet on her phone and now checks in places on fb on it :roll: :lol:

Fri Oct 05, 2012 2:08 am

2blue2handle wrote:Does anyone have one?

My considering getting my mum one for Xmas. She loves reading but loves books, not sure if she would like it or not.

If she likes books then don't. I've bought several over the years and it is the same. My shortly to be ex-wife and me mum love books, they like books. I think I have around 2 to 3k books on some sort of kidling or whatever, just isn't the same and I might be an old b*stard but to read a book, might be crap maybe not.

Now got the f*cking left wing muslims on me case. So yes buy anything that saves anything. The books will be a burning if splott achmed gets his way

Fri Oct 05, 2012 6:52 am

Can you imagine Hitler or those f*cking insane Muslims trying to burn a pile of Kindles

By the way i got one and Yes they are brilliant :ayatollah:

Fri Oct 05, 2012 7:33 am

My wife reads constantly, the house is like a library. I suggested a Kindle and she told me where to get off. Over the last year family and friends that she used to pass books onto and get books from, have slowly changed over to Kindles (or iPads).

Out of the blue she said she would try one and I could sell it on eBay when she hated it. Obviously she was a bit biased when using it. However she now loves it. I think it helped that it was light, hardly ever needs charging and LOOKS like a page of print.

Her only annoyance now is the price of the books. J.K. Rowlings' new book was £9 in book format and £12 in kindle format. That is appealing seems as all they have is a 256k file sat on a server and thousands of customers just download it. :twisted:

Fri Oct 05, 2012 8:05 am

Mother-in-law is an avid reader, often several books in a week. She always said that she would prefer a real book but opted to take my Kindle on holiday with her to save weight.

Can I get it back from her? Can I b0ll0cks! Got to buy her one just to get mine back!

Books can be costly but usually cheaper than a hard copy. There are LOADS of free downloads available and have I found several new authors that I wouldn't have looked at without being able to try for free.

Fri Oct 05, 2012 8:10 am

Don't know about kindles, but I bought my wife a Blackberry Playbook 64gb tablet for her birthday which has got Kobo on it and she's very happy. A snip at £129.

Fri Oct 05, 2012 9:37 am

http://www.tesco.com/direct/kindle-wi-f ... d=686-7892

Kindle Wi-Fi, 6" E Ink Display, £69 but there is a code that might work for £10 off £75 spend TD-MXTN. :) :ayatollah:

Fri Oct 05, 2012 10:03 am

Not the same as a real book of course, but I have one (3G) and it's one of the best 'gadgets' I have ever bought

Fri Oct 05, 2012 10:23 am

2blue2handle wrote:
JBCCFC1927 wrote:If you get her one, get her the kindle paperwhite. Buying one soon for university, they're awesome. :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Didnt want to use the Internet because she didnt need to.... Now panics if its down for a day.
Said she would never use the Internet on her phone and now checks in places on fb on it :roll: :lol:

The display on them is great. The Kindle Fire is more of a tablet and the older Kindle is kind of outdated now but still for reading the older Kindle is better than the Fire. The Paperwhite (US so eBay job) or even the Touch are the best because of the technology used and give the best reading performance. Reading on the Fire is a pain in the backside and is like the iPad, hurts your eyes after a while so if your missus is a reader who can spend half hour - an hour reading each time then the Paperwhite or Touch are the best options. Paperwhite is not sold in the UK at the moment though. However, it is worth the extra charges in my opinion of getting it shipped over.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-AMAZON-KI ... 060wt_1537

:ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Fri Oct 05, 2012 10:34 am

JBCCFC1927 wrote:
2blue2handle wrote:

The display on them is great. The Kindle Fire is more of a tablet and the older Kindle is kind of outdated now but still for reading the older Kindle is better than the Fire. The Paperwhite (US so eBay job) or even the Touch are the best because of the technology used and give the best reading performance. Reading on the Fire is a pain in the backside and is like the iPad, hurts your eyes after a while so if your missus is a reader who can spend half hour - an hour reading each time then the Paperwhite or Touch are the best options. Paperwhite is not sold in the UK at the moment though. However, it is worth the extra charges in my opinion of getting it shipped over.

As an aside, has anyone used BundleBox?

They give you a US address for Amazon to ship to and then ship on to you using FedEx. The Paperwhite cost £125 using them so may go for it.

Fri Oct 05, 2012 10:37 am

Wayne S wrote:
JBCCFC1927 wrote:
2blue2handle wrote:

As an aside, has anyone used BundleBox?

They give you a US address for Amazon to ship to and then ship on to you using FedEx. The Paperwhite cost £125 using them so may go for it.

Not used it mate to be honest. I think I'd rather use eBay and pay via PayPal and have my money go through those means and pay a slightly higher amount than use a service I have no experience with. Im going to get one at the end of October as the price of it will probably drop. :ayatollah:

Fri Oct 05, 2012 10:43 am

JBCCFC1927 wrote:
Wayne S wrote:As an aside, has anyone used BundleBox?

Not used it mate to be honest. I think I'd rather use eBay and pay via PayPal and have my money go through those means and pay a slightly higher amount than use a service I have no experience with. Im going to get one at the end of October as the price of it will probably drop. :ayatollah:

Amazon are quoting a 4-6 week shipping on it at the moment as they have sold out. This will also push the UK release date back as well.

Fri Oct 05, 2012 11:04 am

Can't stand my Kindle compared to real books to be honest.

Fri Oct 05, 2012 11:37 am

I read occassionally and never really considered a kindle until my brother came on holidays with one this year
i borrowed it for a couple of days and was highly impressed how light and comfy to hold it was and how much it looked
like a page from a book,
I've put one on my christmas list :ayatollah:

Fri Nov 23, 2012 3:03 pm

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B008 ... ukdeals-21

Seems a good offer, anyone got any opinions?

Fri Nov 23, 2012 3:13 pm

ive got a kindle touch, absolutely love it. very simple to use.

Fri Nov 23, 2012 3:15 pm

I really dont know what to do, she is adamant she wouldn't want one but then she was like that about going on the internet and having a smart phone :?

Fri Nov 23, 2012 3:23 pm

If you go on Amazon for today only Kindle Fire is £99 if thats anygood to anyone

Fri Nov 23, 2012 3:36 pm

DannyboyBluebirds wrote:If you go on Amazon for today only Kindle Fire is £99 if thats anygood to anyone

Yeah its why Im tempted - I posted the link above :ayatollah:

Fri Nov 23, 2012 3:55 pm

oh sorry bud. I have a kindle I used it loads at first but not recently really.

Ive been mulling over getting that £99 fire for my mum for crimbo. Ideally id give her my kindle but as my mrs got me it for a birthday present she wont let me get rid of it

Fri Nov 23, 2012 3:56 pm

Once she gets in to it she won't put it down. My Mrs was the same, I bought her one last XMas and she didn't really bother with it for a couple of months. Now though she reads everything on it. She doesn't go near books any more and she's hinting strongly for the new paperwhite for this XMas. Which by the way is better for some reason, but I don't know why nor care. I don't really do reading, it's like watching films only in slow motion. :lol:

Fri Nov 23, 2012 3:58 pm

Berwyn wrote: I don't really do reading, it's like watching films only in slow motion. :lol:

Epic

Fri Nov 23, 2012 4:06 pm

I too have been looking to get some form of e-Reader and, whilst I have instead opted to get the Google Nexus 7 tablet, the Kindle Fire is available for £99 in Amazon's Black Friday sale until Monday. :)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0083Q04M2/ref=amb_link_172517007_1?ie=UTF8&nav_sdd=aps&pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_s=center-1&pf_rd_r=0CWAPSAA51YPKWQFDTF2&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=346876827&pf_rd_i=468294

:ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Fri Nov 23, 2012 4:16 pm

2blue2handle wrote:Does anyone have one?

Bought one for my misses and she loves it. You can also buy a little reading light for night reading without having the top light on.

Good gift for your mum.

Fri Nov 23, 2012 7:12 pm

Oh well its bought now, she will either use it or she wont :lol:

Fri Nov 23, 2012 7:17 pm

Apologies if this may sound like a stupid question but is it bad for you?

Ie, like looking at a computer screen for to long?

Fri Nov 23, 2012 7:29 pm

MillarFromTheHalfWayLine wrote:Apologies if this may sound like a stupid question but is it bad for you?

No not at all, it's not backlit like a screen so it doesn't have the same effect :ayatollah:

Fri Nov 23, 2012 8:53 pm

OhhhGa wrote:
MillarFromTheHalfWayLine wrote:Apologies if this may sound like a stupid question but is it bad for you?

No not at all, it's not backlit like a screen so it doesn't have the same effect :ayatollah:

Nice one mate, thanks.