Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

MORE CONCERNED ABOUT CEO

Mon Oct 01, 2012 4:22 pm

Personally speaking, moving Alan Whiteley sideways is concerning me more than the colour change, I make no apologies for not being able to get that worked up about inaminate objects such as our old stadium, our current badge or the colour of the shirt, it's just the way I am and have never been a traditionalist, but that don't mean that those who are traditionalists are wrong, far from it and I can understand and sympathise with how the changes have upset them.

However, the way it appears in the organisation, unless you toe the party line totally and go along with everything the boss says, then your card is marked.
I hope this isn't the case, because whoever you are, somewhere along the line you need to take other people's views and opinions on board, surrounding yourself with yes men just brings about the Emperor's clothes situation.

Alan Whiteley has had to take on some real crap and do a lot of dirty work, and was in a no win situation, when we had meetings and fans were saying he should tell VT this and that, I could see Alan thinking "and have you ever dealt with this man"
I am greatful for Vt for coming in when he did, and also for his latest financial support, even though it came at a big sacrifice, but I have always found Alan Whiteley as a genuine and approachable CEO who also happened to be a City fan.

The new chap may be fantatstic, and let's hope so, change for the better is not a bad thing, change just because you ain't getting your own way is a different matter. let's hope it all works out for us, and those involved by the change. :old:

Re: MORE CONCERNED ABOUT CEO

Mon Oct 01, 2012 4:31 pm

BigGwynram wrote:Personally speaking, moving Alan Whiteley sideways is concerning me more than the colour change, I make no apologies for not being able to get that worked up about inaminate objects such as our old stadium, our current badge or the colour of the shirt, it's just the way I am and have never been a traditionalist, but that don't mean that those who are traditionalists are wrong, far from it and I can understand and sympathise with how the changes have upset them.

However, the way it appears in the organisation, unless you toe the party line totally and go along with everything the boss says, then your card is marked.
I hope this isn't the case, because whoever you are, somewhere along the line you need to take other people's views and opinions on board, surrounding yourself with yes men just brings about the Emperor's clothes situation.

Alan Whiteley has had to take on some real crap and do a lot of dirty work, and was in a no win situation, when we had meetings and fans were saying he should tell VT this and that, I could see Alan thinking "and have you ever dealt with this man"
I am greatful for Vt for coming in when he did, and also for his latest financial support, even though it came at a big sacrifice, but I have always found Alan Whiteley as a genuine and approachable CEO who also happened to be a City fan.

The new chap may be fantatstic, and let's hope so, change for the better is not a bad thing, change just because you ain't getting your own way is a different matter. let's hope it all works out for us, and those involved by the change. :old:

rumour has it peter lim wants to invest and RUMOUR is that simon lim is family ;) if i was going to ivest millions of pounds worth of money i would want my own guys there ,alan is part of the old guard ,when he became ceo it was always going to be a short term thing as i remember at the time one of carls updates stated

Mon Oct 01, 2012 4:44 pm

As long as the new guy gets on with MM like whiteley did and they agree on things then it shouldnt be a problem for us fans as it will not get to the team then, if theres problems like a hitler type such as blackburn have well who knows. :ayatollah:

Mon Oct 01, 2012 4:52 pm

Perhaps they felt he wasn't up to the job of taking us to the next level ?

Jolly nice chap and a life long city fan to boot doesn't cut it in the world of commerce, and we are crap at this.....

He is still a non exec, its not as if we have shot him.

Mon Oct 01, 2012 4:52 pm

He seemed a decent chap Alan he fronted up at the refund meeting and I know several fans who had long emails from him personally addressing their concerns and worries with the rebranding.

Mon Oct 01, 2012 4:58 pm

BigGwynram wrote:However, the way it appears in the organisation, unless you toe the party line totally and go along with everything the boss says, then your card is marked.

You'll be alright then Gwyn - you will remain in the inner circle - as you certainly do that ;)

Mon Oct 01, 2012 5:31 pm

Gwyn I think most people would agree that Alan Whiteley has done a good job, better than many of us thought he would, when he took over as CEO following the rapid exit of Gethin Jenkins. I think it goes without saying that the last thing AW would have expected to deal with is "The Rebrand" which probably came right out of left field for him. However he fronted up to things and continued to work with professionalism, commitment and above all else dignity and I'm sure all Cardiff fans would thank him for that.

However things move on in business as they do in life and personally I'm not worried about "anyone toeing the line" because I bet things are no different in that respect to when SH was in charge.

The club statement says that VT & TG are looking to get more involved in the day to day running of the club, is that a bad thing :? We will find out but given the huge amount of money VT has already put in then surely it's reasonable for them to increase their already major influence. I think we should also take it as a clear sign they are in this for the long haul and the level of financial support they provide makes it a very positive thing in my opinion.

It is interesting though that we have another clear sign of VT running the ship that is Cardiff City FC as he is doing the hiring and firing even though he is not the outright owner. In my opinion that situation will be changing in the not to distant future and this is just another step in moving out people like PMG,even Borley.

At the end of the day Ridsdale fell on his sword over the ST scam but PMG, Borley and Whiteley were all board members at that time and must have known what was going on.

Sit back and enjoy the football Gwyn the rest will take care of itself.

:ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Mon Oct 01, 2012 6:00 pm

TCM wrote:
BigGwynram wrote:However, the way it appears in the organisation, unless you toe the party line totally and go along with everything the boss says, then your card is marked.

You'll be alright then Gwyn - you will remain in the inner circle - as you certainly do that ;)

Yeh ask Ridsdale who was leading the protest march when you were planning a firm letter, ask Kumar and Tony Clemo, best friend worst enemy. :ayatollah:

Mon Oct 01, 2012 6:05 pm

The Club is evolving on and off the field and for that we will need to right people in the right positions including the boardroom. I can't see the point of worrying until we know how the next CEO works out and how the strategy unfolds

Mon Oct 01, 2012 6:06 pm

BigGwynram wrote:However, the way it appears in the organisation, unless you toe the party line totally and go along with everything the boss says, then your card is marked. I hope this isn't the case, because whoever you are, somewhere along the line you need to take other people's views and opinions on board......

There is a spectacular irony in the above comments. I'm sure it isn't lost on everyone.

Seriously though, did you honestly believe it would be any different? Like me, you've had the benefit of hearing exactly how Vincent Tan operates from directors and staff at the club. Surely, therefore, you can't be surprised at the recent developments with Alan Whiteley and Doug Lee?

Mon Oct 01, 2012 6:18 pm

castleblue wrote:Gwyn I think most people would agree that Alan Whiteley has done a good job, better than many of us thought he would, when he took over as CEO following the rapid exit of Gethin Jenkins. I think it goes without saying that the last thing AW would have expected to deal with is "The Rebrand" which probably came right out of left field for him. However he fronted up to things and continued to work with professionalism, commitment and above all else dignity and I'm sure all Cardiff fans would thank him for that.

I genuinely believe AW knew what was coming with the rebrand and only guessing that was the nail in Gethin's coffin, so it was the poisoned chalice to a degree and it looks like shit was hsi thanks for dealing with it.

However things move on in business as they do in life and personally I'm not worried about "anyone toeing the line" because I bet things are no different in that respect to when SH was in charge.

I totally agree with you and I'm just glad I don't move or have to work in those circles, these people seem to dust themselves down and pick themselves back up ALA Ridsdale the bouncing ball, me. I'd be evil and carrying a grudge forever if I thought it was unfair.lol And yes you are correct about SH, I have always said whilst i was close t him, I could not have worked under him for any sort of money, I have been a boss and employer, but soft as shite, and that backfired at times, but that's just how it is.

The club statement says that VT & TG are looking to get more involved in the day to day running of the club, is that a bad thing :? We will find out but given the huge amount of money VT has already put in then surely it's reasonable for them to increase their already major influence. I think we should also take it as a clear sign they are in this for the long haul and the level of financial support they provide makes it a very positive thing in my opinion.

I genuinely hope your correct and it works out, if it was my money I'd want to be sleeping next to it, :lol: and yes perhaps they are treating us with more urgency and commitment than I was expecting them to, and hands on will be great if that is the case.

It is interesting though that we have another clear sign of VT running the ship that is Cardiff City FC as he is doing the hiring and firing even though he is not the outright owner. In my opinion that situation will be changing in the not to distant future and this is just another step in moving out people like PMG,even Borley.

I think you may be correct, it's just a bit of a possibly Welsh or at least a valley thing where we get attached and build bonds and then find it hard to rebuild trust all over again.

At the end of the day Ridsdale fell on his sword over the ST scam but PMG, Borley and Whiteley were all board members at that time and must have known what was going on.

I'm sure they all did, and looking back whilst i was one of many up in arms about the scam, possibly Ridsdale was a scapegoat and it was scam or bust, but didn't lose much sleep over him going.

Sit back and enjoy the football Gwyn the rest will take care of itself.

I do try, but like lot's of others we get caught up in things that we have little control over, but that's the internet and communication 2012 style i suppose, think it was easier when we were crap and we just accepted it.
;)

:ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Mon Oct 01, 2012 6:34 pm

The Lone Gunman wrote:
BigGwynram wrote:However, the way it appears in the organisation, unless you toe the party line totally and go along with everything the boss says, then your card is marked. I hope this isn't the case, because whoever you are, somewhere along the line you need to take other people's views and opinions on board......

There is a spectacular irony in the above comments. I'm sure it isn't lost on everyone.

Well it's lost on me! If you think I toe the party line then you must have a different view of what toeing the line means to you. I will support in anyway i can something I feel is good for the club and whether right or wrong I will only take that view if I believe in it, not just to keep in with anyone, ask Ridsdale If i was toeing the line, I remember someone saying how genuine they thought he was and he was totally committed or the best actor in the world, not all of us bought that one did we dave. ;)

Seriously though, did you honestly believe it would be any different? Like me, you've had the benefit of hearing exactly how Vincent Tan operates from directors and staff at the club. Surely, therefore, you can't be surprised at the recent developments with Alan Whiteley and Doug Lee?

Your right, I'm not suprised, just disappointed, but if in the long run it works out best for the club and is done for the right reasons, then time will tell.
I have never met VT and have no need to, but from what I have heard, he ain't going to be on my dinner guest or Christmas card list, this is why I was gobsmacked when certain fans were saying that Alan whiteley should go back and tell him to stuff it and we wouldn't accept the badge or colour change, and that he should have discussed and negotiated with the fans first, I could see in Alan Whiteleys eyes his "oh yeh and that's going to happen"

I don't think VT is the sort of owner we have been used to, and whilst fans complained of inner circles previously, I think inner or outer, there are no more circles and no more fans involvement that is meaningful.
Is that good, not in my eyes, but we weren't in a position to choose, and hopefully the benfits to the club and the fans will outweigh the shortcomings and the it's my way or the highway approach.

Mon Oct 01, 2012 6:53 pm

BigGwynram wrote:
TCM wrote:

Yeh ask Ridsdale who was leading the protest march when you were planning a firm letter, ask Kumar and Tony Clemo, best friend worst enemy. :ayatollah:

Why? I'm talking about now not the past.

Mon Oct 01, 2012 7:29 pm

BigGwynram wrote:Personally speaking, moving Alan Whiteley sideways is concerning me more than the colour change, I make no apologies for not being able to get that worked up about inaminate objects such as our old stadium, our current badge or the colour of the shirt, it's just the way I am and have never been a traditionalist, but that don't mean that those who are traditionalists are wrong, far from it and I can understand and sympathise with how the changes have upset them.

That was actually a really good post Gwyn. Like I've previously said, I appreciate everyone has differing feelings and emotions about what has gone on. As I'm sure you're well aware by now, I am against the rebrand. But that was a very good post and I 100% agree with everything you have said there.

Mon Oct 01, 2012 7:41 pm

TCM wrote:
BigGwynram wrote:
TCM wrote:

Why? I'm talking about now not the past.

do you think I have been asked to toe the party line, or have i decided for myself that it's the best option, in fact at the time I seen it as the only option.

That's one of the benefits of not representing any party or having to seek permission to come to a decision, my decision is simply that, mine. Don't have to answer to anyone, not answerable to anyone an don't have to toe any lines, they can't take an office off me, or block any meetings or communications, no sweeteners or back handers when you are an individual. ;)

Mon Oct 01, 2012 7:52 pm

BigGwynram wrote:
do you think I have been asked to toe the party line

Yes - that of the club.

Mon Oct 01, 2012 7:53 pm

Always thought it was temporary anyway, I'm surprised its taken so long to get in a CEO.

Hope he stays involved though as a city fan :ayatollah:

Mon Oct 01, 2012 7:58 pm

TCM wrote:
BigGwynram wrote:

Yes - that of the club.

And do you honestly think i would agree to something I disagreed with just to please someone at the club, your having a laugh.
I get no benefits so there's none that can be taken away, it's a good position to be in, some of us can't have our loyalty bought. 8-)

Mon Oct 01, 2012 8:43 pm

BigGwynram wrote:
TCM wrote:
BigGwynram wrote:

Yes - that of the club.

And do you honestly think i would agree to something I disagreed with just to please someone at the club, your having a laugh.
I get no benefits so there's none that can be taken away, it's a good position to be in, some of us can't have our loyalty bought. 8-)

Yes and i can asure you i am not laughing. As for the benefits - your ego.

Mon Oct 01, 2012 8:45 pm

My not be your biggest fan Gwyn, but this is an excellent post and sums up the current situation.

Mon Oct 01, 2012 8:51 pm

gwyn,i think that the average supporter has also felt the "my way end of"..of tan......the rebranding has no value,but was bulldozed throu,my worry is how far he will go.. :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Mon Oct 01, 2012 8:55 pm

TCM wrote:
BigGwynram wrote:
TCM wrote:
BigGwynram wrote:

Yes - that of the club.

Yes and i can asure you i am not laughing. As for the benefits - your ego.

So i massaged my ego by backing the rebrand and the investment that came with the package, whereas if I had opposed it which wouldn't have massaged my ego, so the protest Ridsdale was an ego trip even though it was against the club and party line.
Or could it be that seeing my club succeed and progress after 46 years of support was simply for my ego, and not something I, and the vast majority of other fans wanted for all the right reasons. :roll:

Mon Oct 01, 2012 8:59 pm

krabb wrote:

gwyn,i think that the average supporter has also felt the "my way end of"..of tan......the rebranding has no value,but was bulldozed throu,my worry is how far he will go.. :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

And none of us really know do we, and it is a worry, like some of the things he's done, but hate some other things, very much a balancing act, and all of us have different "tip the scales" levels.
I'll put up with not liking the bloke as a person, as long as the club as a whole continues to benefit, but what do I know, I'm still a Sam Hammam fan. :ayatollah:

Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:02 pm

Cardiff City owner seeks more 'control' with operating shake up

Cardiff City have announced operating changes as millionaire owner Vincent Tan seeks greater "control" over the day-to-day running of the club.
The most significant move will see chief executive Alan Whiteley stepping down in the coming weeks, to be replaced by Simon Lim.
Whiteley, who has been in the role for 12 months, is considering an offer to remain on the board of directors.
Malaysian Lim had recently replaced Doug Lee as financial director.
That role will now be taken by Richard Thompson, in an initial acting capacity.
Whiteley, who spearheaded the club's efforts to persuade Cardiff fans to accept the summer rebrand, including the controversial change from blue shirts to red, admitted being removed from his post came "a litte bit out of the blue".
He added: "[It's] slightly disappointing, but predictable, I suppose in some ways.
"I think in fairness to Vincent Tan, he's honoured his... commitments that he made during the whole of the rebranding [in the] the close-season.
"He's put the money into the team. He's increased his investment so I think he feels that he's at the point where he wants a greater degree of control and a greater involvement and probably, in that sense, having his own man at the helm is probably a sensible step for him.
"They've asked me to stay on the board from a continuity point of view and also to provide certain help in some of the projects that are ongoing
"At the moment I'm just thinking through what that means and whether I can play a meaningful role.
"If I can help the club in any way I will continue to do so."
Tan, who has promised to invest £100m in the Championship club, said: "I would like to place on record my thanks and respect to Alan for the way in which he has held the office with dignity over the last year.
"His professionalism and hard work has helped to improve club operations behind the scenes, and from here, with the hard work of a number of key people we will look to build on his legacy in the months and years ahead.
"All connected to Cardiff City Football Club owe Alan a debt of gratitude as he leaves his post with our sincere best wishes."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/19781296

Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:17 pm

I stayed at the MK Dons stadium a couple of weeks ago for a conference (they convert the executive boxes to hotel rooms similar to West Ham - only much better) and all I kept saying to myself was "City should do this".

They are just finishing the second tier at the ground - ours would look very similar (should we upgrade) - and they've got 127 guest rooms, with a few fairly big conference halls. They even outsourced the whole thing to Hilton.

Now, if I was trying to maximise income, I'd probably be looking at utilising an asset that does pretty much sod all, all week and all through every summer. Especially one that has ample parking, is very well sign posted and straight off the M4 and easily accessible from anywhere in Cardiff.

Lim is the ex Financial Controller of the Berjaya hotel group. I'm no Sherlock, but maybe he's here on an 18-24 month 'project'??

Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:35 pm

BigGwynram wrote:
So i massaged my ego

Yes.

Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:28 pm

TCM wrote:
BigGwynram wrote:
So i massaged my ego

Yes.

Massaged it massively since the arrival of Hammam and still to this day!!

The Ridsdale comments make me laugh --- Gwyn was on the bus with him to Leeds to look after him! ( Another ego boost!!)

Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:38 pm

BigGwynram wrote:
TCM wrote:

The Riddler you played " Minder " too in the Leeds Boardroom ?

Tue Oct 02, 2012 7:13 am

So what is Peter Ridsdales role actually going to be?

Tue Oct 02, 2012 11:18 am

BigGwynram wrote:
TCM wrote:

Shame you did not protest against Hamman when he created the historical debt that saddled this club..