Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

"Cardiff prove red-hot in home strip but are blue elsewhere"

Fri Sep 28, 2012 5:46 am

CARDIFF City are on red alert .... and enjoying every single minute of it.

The Bluebirds are hoping a winning streak in their ‘lucky’ new red kit continues when Blackpool come to town tomorrow.

The club’s controversial change of colours, which the Malaysian owners argued would bring good fortune to Malky Mackay’s side, led to a furious reaction from some fans.

But so far the facts and figures show the rebranding has brought the best out of Mark Hudson and his team-mates.

Mackay’s men have been in red-hot form while wearing the new strip, unbeaten in six matches played.

By contrast, they have lost two out of two in their blue away strip and also went down 3-2 at Crystal Palace in the black third kit.

City’s first red letter day came when they wore the new kit for the first time with a 4-1 win against Premier League Newcastle in a glamour pre-season clash.

City then left Huddersfield (1-0), Wolves (3-1) and Leeds (2-1) red-faced with frustration at home in the league.

They also earned a 2-0 victory at Millwall in red and battled to a goalless draw away to table-toppers Brighton.

By contrast, on the three occasions the Bluebirds have not worn red, they have lost.

Mackay’s side were defeated 2-1 at Northampton in the League Cup and 4-2 at Bristol City while wearing their traditional blue shirts.

They were also beaten 3-2 by Crystal Palace last weekend while wearing black shirts.

Mackay will hope the omens are good for his team again tomorrow when they wear their red kit for the clash with Blackpool.

Victory in that one would make it four wins out of four at Cardiff City Stadium in 2012-13 ... which would represent City’s best home start to a season for more than 50 years.

The colour red is regarded as lucky in parts of Asia and the club’s majority shareholder Vincent Tan believes the change will help City’s profile in the Far East.

Ian Holloway, manager of tomorrow’s visitors Blackpool, admits it will be ‘weird’ to see Cardiff City play in red shirts.

Holloway admits that’s not something he ever expected to see.

“It’s going to be weird, with them now in red,” he said. “They’ve always been blue and their name is ‘The Bluebirds’. Now it’s not. It’s all a bit weird isn’t it?

“I know how tough it’s going to be. Cardiff will have a partisan crowd like they always do. Their fans are really passionate.

“You have Malaysian businessmen changing the colour of someone’s kit because they think it’s lucky.

“They’ve bought Bellamy and Maynard, so who only knows what they are risking on all of this.”

Both Blackpool and Cardiff City need to bounce back from Championship defeats, against Huddersfield and Crystal Palace respectively.

Holloway has more than 40 full-time professionals at Blackpool, while Mackay has improved his squad’s strength in depth by some way this season.

“No club spent as much as Cardiff coming into this season,” says Holloway.

“Hopefully that will stand them in good stead, but not this weekend. We’ll have to try and impose our game on them.

“We did it last year there, hopefully we can again.”

Blackpool won 3-1 at Cardiff City Stadium last season, while the teams drew 1-1 at Bloomfield Road. Kevin Phillips scored in both matches, while Matt Phillips scored two in Cardiff.

Both are in their squad for tomorrow’s match as Holloway contemplates making changes to the team he sent out against Huddersfield last Monday. He had made big changes before each of the previous two games and won both, but then stuck with the same starting line up from a 4-1 win against Middlesbrough when they played Huddersfield.

Holloway has plenty of players to select from and looks certain to freshen up his team.

He will be without Craig Cathcart, who is ruled out by a calf tear sustained against Huddersfield.

Read More http://www.walesonline.co.uk/footballna ... z27jyKJiql

Re: "Cardiff prove red-hot in home strip but are blue elsewhere"

Fri Sep 28, 2012 6:24 am

I genuinely think there is something in this.

Taking the supporter issues aside lets ask ourselves why bullfighters use a red target. The answer is because it is easier to see than other colours.

As some of you know I am a photographer both for the club and national newspapers. When I am sat at ground level I am looking at players against a background of a crowd wearing a variety of different colours. When Leeds played in Blue the other week I noticed that it was distincly harder to make out players than our side playing in red.

Last week I also did the Man City-v-Arsenal match and again the same result. It was easier to make out sides playing in red.

Now I am not saying this is the reason why we are winning but when it is easier to spot a fellow player it means that there are less passes going astray and that you are that split second quicker. We are already a very good side but this gives us that extra advantage

I genuinely think there is something in it.

Fri Sep 28, 2012 7:02 am

Paul Keevil wrote:I genuinely think there is something in this.

Taking the supporter issues aside lets ask ourselves why bullfighters use a red target. The answer is because it is easier to see than other colours.

As some of you know I am a photographer both for the club and national newspapers. When I am sat at ground level I am looking at players against a background of a crowd wearing a variety of different colours. When Leeds played in Blue the other week I noticed that it was distincly harder to make out players than our side playing in red.

Last week I also did the Man City-v-Arsenal match and again the same result. It was easier to make out sides playing in red.

Now I am not saying this is the reason why we are winning but when it is easier to spot a fellow player it means that there are less passes going astray and that you are that split second quicker. We are already a very good side but this gives us that extra advantage

I genuinely think there is something in it.

You may be correct in suggesting that red is an easier colour to identify, however, your examples are not that great. Our game against Leeds, would have been played against a background of mostly blue, empty seats and mostly blue shirts still worn by the home supporters. The Man City game would have again been played against a blue background as it was at home, plenty of blue shirts worn by the home support. It may well be that if Arsenal were at home wearing red, with a largely red background against Man City, then the blue would stand out more.
At this stage it's way to early to apply ant significance to the correlation between our shirt colour and our results, but I guess journo's will endeavour to make a story out of anything.

Fri Sep 28, 2012 10:02 am

we have played 3 home games thats all. we will lose at home soon :roll:

Fri Sep 28, 2012 10:04 am

paulh_85 wrote:we have played 3 home games thats all. we will lose at home soon :roll:

Thank you Mystic Meg! :)

Fri Sep 28, 2012 10:06 am

Overthemoon wrote:
paulh_85 wrote:we have played 3 home games thats all. we will lose at home soon :roll:

Thank you Mystic Meg! :)

not a problem :)

Fri Sep 28, 2012 10:27 am

Red is lucky my arse :lol: only because we play 4-4-2 in red and 4-5-1 in blue results have f**k all to do with colour but the set up :ayatollah:

Fri Sep 28, 2012 10:48 am

I'll rise to this.

What utter utter bollocks.

OK, now this rebrand has made us Cardiff fans look right twats. Like it or not that is how the rest of the football world is lookking at us. When our top man tells us it is lucky and we just bow down to him then yes we look right twats.

So when we were playing in blue we nearly got to the promised land. Losing in a play off final is as close it gets. Therefore we need that bit more luck to cross the line and that comes by playing in red so some big knob is telling us. Yes I know no one has exactly said that but lets be honest thats what people are beginning to believe and that is the impression him up there has left us.

So lets hope we do go up this season because if we don't we are going to look bigger twats with the red brigade being the biggest twats of us all.

Good jobs we still have blue seats else we would be f**ked........ :roll:

Fri Sep 28, 2012 10:52 am

You make your own luck in football. Besides, we had red shorts at Palace!

Fri Sep 28, 2012 11:02 am

llangainbluebird wrote:You make your own luck in football. Besides, we had red shorts at Palace!

Luck had nothing to do with our defeat at Palace, it was down to amateurish defending for all 3 goals!

Fri Sep 28, 2012 11:18 am

Lucky red kit :oops: what a load of old bollox that is :ayatollah: :old: :ayatollah:

Fri Sep 28, 2012 11:32 am

Paul Keevil wrote:I genuinely think there is something in this.

Me too.

The Welsh national team's spectacular performances over many decades conclusively prove that red is a lucky colour. Meanwhile, Liverpool's dominance of English football in recent years offers further proof, while Wrexham's ranking as the number one team in Wales clearly demonstrates that red is best.

Let's ignore the fact that last season's Champions' League, Premier League, Championship and FA Cup winners all wore blue. That was a fluke. Red equals success. No doubt about it.

Fri Sep 28, 2012 11:32 am

Articles like this are completely and utterly rubbing our noses in it and taking the piss :evil:

I have always fully supported the team and I was just beginning to (very relectantly) "accept" the rebrand, although I will never but a red shirt.

Makes you think we are loosing on purpose when not playing in red, what a joke.

Fri Sep 28, 2012 11:54 am

By the same token, luck had nothing to do with our wins against Huddersfield, Wolves, Leeds, and Millwall. We played well, and battled hard for 90 minutes. As I said, you make your own luck in football.

Just because we played crap against the Worzels (like the season before last), and had a youth team out at Northampton, does not mean that blue is unlucky. It just means that we lost two games.

Just when things seemed to be settling down, we get all this 'lucky red' crap again. Most of us are still going to the games, and supporting the City, despite many reservations. Like somebody else said, don't take the piss out of us. We get that from opposition fans.

Fri Sep 28, 2012 12:08 pm

Bakedalasker wrote:I'll rise to this.

What utter utter bollocks.

OK, now this rebrand has made us Cardiff fans look right twats. Like it or not that is how the rest of the football world is lookking at us. When our top man tells us it is lucky and we just bow down to him then yes we look right twats.

So when we were playing in blue we nearly got to the promised land. Losing in a play off final is as close it gets. Therefore we need that bit more luck to cross the line and that comes by playing in red so some big knob is telling us. Yes I know no one has exactly said that but lets be honest thats what people are beginning to believe and that is the impression him up there has left us.

So lets hope we do go up this season because if we don't we are going to look bigger twats with the red brigade being the biggest twats of us all.

Good jobs we still have blue seats else we would be f**ked........ :roll:

TOTALLY AGREE - The results would have been the same regardless of colour and as we are on the subject of luck the world is going to end on 21st December allegedly or maybe it won't happen because we are wearing red :roll: ......ALL BOLLOCKS :)

Fri Sep 28, 2012 12:23 pm

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=93505

So carl posts it and gets priority read on it :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Fri Sep 28, 2012 12:23 pm

What a terrible article to make as a sticky for a forum that is dead against red as our identifying colour.

Purely based on formation and not colour is why our home performances are so solid. Not to mention the quality of our players.
I mean why don't we just rest all our best players like Noone Bellamy, whitts, Turner, Smith, mutch, at home games if red is so lucky and just use them for away games! :lol:

Maybe Velikonja, Kim Bo, Gunnarson and Mason might get a game then?

Fri Sep 28, 2012 2:54 pm

Reality, and true

Fri Sep 28, 2012 6:42 pm

Good god, not your best one Carl, Cardiff city are blue.

Fri Sep 28, 2012 6:57 pm

Does any actually believe all the bollocks??? I can't even bear to watch them them tomorrow, running out to those red and black flags. I've given my season ticket to my son's mate. I've lost passion. I've given it a go this season but I get more bitter week upon week.