Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Euro 2020 new format

Thu Sep 27, 2012 4:50 pm

In June M.Platini floated the proposal that Euro 2020 could be hosted in 12 or 13 cities across Europe, rather than being staged by one or two countries. Platini’s proposal comes as UEFA seeks to tackle the issue of a shortage of interest in staging Euro 2020. UEFA in May announced details of a new bidding process for Euro 2020 after receiving a lukewarm response from countries following the initial deadline for expressions of interest, which closed on May 15. UEFA unveiled a new process which will allow any of its 53 member associations to submit a bid. Turkey has long stated its intention to bid for Euro 2020, while Scotland, Wales and the Republic of Ireland confirmed their interest in exploring a joint proposal and Azerbaijan and Georgia are keen on lodging a joint bid.

Platini’s proposal is set to be debated by UEFA’s Executive Committee in December ahead of a decision early next year.

FSF Cymru is part of the Europe wide supporters organisation called Football supporters Europe and UEFA have asked the FSE to attend a meeting in Nyon to talk about the fans views on the new format....to assist us with this I would be interested in the fans opinions.

Basically it means instead of holding an entire finals tournament of 24 teams in one country or two countries like Poland/Ukraine.....the tournament will be held in 12 0r thirteen countries which would mean far more travelling for the fans....although the semi finals and finals would then be based in one country.if you have any views on this I will be happy to pass them on to the two FSE delegates who will be attending the UEFA meeting

Re: Euro 2020 new format

Thu Sep 27, 2012 5:00 pm

An absolutely shit idea!

Thu Sep 27, 2012 5:04 pm

Shocking idea not just for fans but for the players aswell

Thu Sep 27, 2012 5:06 pm

It's not broke, don't try and fix it. Awful idea...

Thu Sep 27, 2012 5:08 pm

What I need is reasons why you think its shit or reasons why you think its a good idea...I suppose travelling for fans must be one

Thu Sep 27, 2012 5:11 pm

It doesn't really make it an occasion but loads of seperate events. Horrible idea.

Thu Sep 27, 2012 5:13 pm

corky wrote:What I need is reasons why you think its shit or reasons why you think its a good idea...I suppose travelling for fans must be one

Tradition is probably one of the biggest ones. It's the way it's always been.

Thu Sep 27, 2012 5:28 pm

Silly idea plus extra hassle and expense travelling to all the different cities :shock:

Thu Sep 27, 2012 5:32 pm

The majority of football fans are not rich men. They wouldn't be able to afford to travel to lots of venues for one tournament. Totally crazy idea.

Thu Sep 27, 2012 5:38 pm

It will just feel like a qualifying campaign if they're jetting off around Europe to god knows where every game.

It takes some of the magic out of the tournament for me as well.

Part of the fun for me is getting to see the new stadiums and fans filling the stadiums.

In Poland and Ukraine you heard all these positive stories of the local villages turning up to watch their heroes play for teams like Spain and England.

If we started a tournament where you jet off to different countries it wouldn't be long until someone decided to play games in each team's home stadiums to earn more money and it would take apart the whole point in a tournament.

Strongly against.

Thu Sep 27, 2012 5:40 pm

Let's imagine a game between say Serbia vs Croatia (just a random choice), a group match being played in the Millenium Stadium, who would go? And why? Leave it as it is, or, make it a 2 year straight knockout competition, no seedings, no rankings, all the names in a hat and it's the luck of the draw. Then play the semi's and final in one place.

If they are looking at reasons why it's not a good idea, can they provide any reasons that it is a good idea?

Thu Sep 27, 2012 5:55 pm

I've always though that a straight forward knock-out competition similar to domestic cup competitions would be better from a fans perspective. All teams go into the "hat" then drawn at "random". Use the old European Cup competitions two legged affairs though to make it more interesting for the fans.

Never happen though, wouldn't please the TV companies as it would be much effort to work out the logistics and advert revenue but would way more interesting for the supporters of the smaller nations like ourselves, the bigger nations get drawn against each in the first round and we get some shit team like Serbia...... :shock: Ah hang on I see a flaw in my cunning plan :lol:

Thu Sep 27, 2012 5:57 pm

I think Platini's plan to expand the competition to 24 clubs has something to do with the lack of interest in countries submitting bids. The more countries taking part means more grounds required to host the group stage matches and for some countries that will mean building or redeveloping existing stadiums to meet the required standards. In the middle of a world recession who in their right minds are going to commit to a bid unless your country already has enough grounds of the required standard. England, Germany, Italy, Spain and France are the stand outs.

I think moving the games around so many countries will put a heavy burden on fans wishing to watch games as surely it would be cheaper to travel to one country than run the risk of having to travel to two or three countries in a couple of weeks.

Time for the people who run football to realise the fans are a vital element of the game and consider the impact on them of these proposals. Not being a stick in the mud traditionalist here I just think why fix something if it ain't broke.

:ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Thu Sep 27, 2012 6:01 pm

I cannot see a positive in this plan. The whole ethos of a tournament will be lost.

If I was forced to think of a positive, I could only suggest that a city hosted a group, say with two stadiums used. Then at least the fans would be in one location for three games? These cities could then be in six different countries. Then the four quarters could be in a seventh city and the semis and final in an eigth city.

However, even that is a shite idea when I read it back. :D

Thu Sep 27, 2012 7:04 pm

what about auto qualification then? would anyone be entitled to qualify through hosting it?

Thu Sep 27, 2012 7:29 pm

Just scrap the Euro's. They are a waste of time. Terrible competition. Just make the World Cup bigger FFS!

Having a tournament every 4 years with none in between will add to the occassion like it does with the Olympics. I know they have the World Championships but they are not watched anywhere near as much as the Olympics.

Anyway, brb, got some uni work to do before FIFA 13 comes out and im on Ultimate Team all weekend. :lol:

Thu Sep 27, 2012 7:33 pm

Stupid idea because of what the fans will have to go through.

Take Wales for exapmple, we could draw someone like Azerbaijan in the group stages so have to travel there, not cheap for fans.
Then we could have the likes of Russia, Kazahkstan, Latvia in the finals should we qualify, which again, not cheap for the fans.

Plus it's against tradition, and I agree with what scotsjack said, if it aint broke, don't fix it

Thu Sep 27, 2012 7:52 pm

No one wants it cos the world will be in full blown caos by then the way things are going.

Fri Sep 28, 2012 8:19 am

Silly silly silly, it will become too disjointed and fragmented.