Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Re: mods and skinheads

Wed Sep 26, 2012 11:43 am

Mr Moo Cow wrote:Annis, do you remember a guy called David Jurgensen ? He was around the Ely Trendies ?

I saw him in town about a month back, in a bar on St Mary Street with his missus.

Wed Sep 26, 2012 11:55 am

His Missus ? Last time I saw him he was living in Barry behind Wilkinsons

Does he still follow the City ?

Wed Sep 26, 2012 12:02 pm

Skinhead on skinhead fight from the 80's - not sure if jumpsa bit but I've never seen a club trashed so quickly
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IfPxB0mLXX8

Wed Sep 26, 2012 12:03 pm

Mr Moo Cow wrote:His Missus ? Last time I saw him he was living in Barry behind Wilkinsons

Does he still follow the City ?

Well, a woman anyway.

I think he still watches the City, but not regularly. I remember seeing him in The Cornwall before a game against Leeds, but I'm not sure what year that was - 2005, maybe.

I've seen him now and again - at Mike Dye's funeral, obviously - and here and there.

Wed Sep 26, 2012 12:16 pm

I haven't seen Jurgy for years

Wed Sep 26, 2012 12:35 pm

Mr Moo Cow wrote:I haven't seen Jurgy for years

He doesn't look any different. I've changed a lot since the 80s, but he hasn't. I went on a few of his trips many years ago and I've always had a lot of time for Millbank - great bunch.

Wed Sep 26, 2012 6:56 pm

earnieblue wrote:Was a mod back in the day pontypridd was mainly mod,rhydyfelin was a mod stronghold.Some right mad bastards :ayatollah:

I'm an old punk rocker ,do you remember the Chords playing in Treforest Poly round about 1980,Valley punks sorted out the Ponty mods that night,mind you most of them were ex-punks and skins anyway !!!!

1977--be a punk
1978--be a skin
1979--be a mod
1980--another summer fashion

some of us stuck with our first love--punk rock--others moved on,in fact by 81,quite a lot were into the new romantic look,then they became casuals,then they got into dance music...5 minute fashions...

Wed Sep 26, 2012 7:29 pm

What about the rude boys???

Treharris in the early 1980's was full of them. I remember a gang of us going down to Ponty one saturday afternoon and trashed a few Mod scooters.

f**k me, if we did - they appeared the following saturday at our late night haunt - the Queen of Hearts in Nelson, and f*cking battered us and trashed the place!!!

Good times though!!!

Wed Sep 26, 2012 8:38 pm

The skinhead movement started from London from around 1967/8 and really went nationwide in 1968/69/70. As a generalisation the skinheads were white working class (there was such a thing then). Paki - bashing was a sport but most skins danced to reggae, 'blue beat' (late ska/rock steady e.g prince buster)and soul music .There are some great skinhead sounds on u-tube. Try brixton rocket, the dog - harry j allstars, the horse - eric barnett and others which made the hit parade such as double barrell/monkey spanner. Fahions moved on and skinheads morphed into suedeheads and boot boys(see photos on recent thread on MUFC game at Ninian Park)in the early 1970's.
The two-tone madness/specials thing saw a revival but that was definately second time around.

The mod movement really peaked before the skinheads as many moved off into the hippy scene - I would say 1965-68

I remember seeing skinheads at Ninian Park in what must have been 1969 with white trousers and shirts, braces, hobnail boots and one had a miners helmet on.Dont ask me why.

Wed Sep 26, 2012 10:18 pm

jergey is still around seen him down in cathays a couple of years back.he had moved there from barry,kept going on about female students the dirty old dog.

i know him from years back he is from the bottom of grand avenue.remember seing him at charlton first game of the season 1984..he was togged up in a city shirt and scarfe round his neck,destroying a cornish pasty and a bovril.12 months later he was a
fully fledged trendy.got caught up in the whole casual scene way too much.

followed boro,and liverpool for a short while

nice guy just dont let him loose down newport way with a stanno in his back pocket.........ouch.

Wed Sep 26, 2012 10:45 pm

theracecourse wrote:

jergey is still around seen him down in cathays a couple of years back.he had moved there from barry,kept going on about female students the dirty old dog.

i know him from years back he is from the bottom of grand avenue.remember seing him at charlton first game of the season 1984..he was togged up in a city shirt and scarfe round his neck,destroying a cornish pasty and a bovril.12 months later he was a

nice guy just dont let him loose down newport way with a stanno in his back pocket.........ouch.

:lol:

He was from Heol Muston, I think. Tidy bloke.

Wed Sep 26, 2012 11:02 pm

Hated mods and skinheads great days being a casual earky 80s always had them on there toes. :lol:

Wed Sep 26, 2012 11:04 pm

Nedd Glas wrote:
theracecourse wrote:

deffo bottom the ave .

always been footy mad i think i still got some cassette tapes of him doing match of the day style commentarys freestyle.

He was from Heol Muston, I think. Tidy bloke.

Wed Sep 26, 2012 11:56 pm

birchblue wrote:Hated mods and skinheads great days being a casual earky 80s always had them on there toes. :lol:

Most casuals were ex mods and skinheads.

Thu Sep 27, 2012 7:10 am

AHERNE wrote:
samdm94 wrote:
AHERNE wrote:
samdm94 wrote:this is one for the mods and skinheads

as some one who was born way after that era i dont know to much about it, could any one explain the whole mod v skinhead story :ayatollah:

also where you a mod or a skinhead ? what made you become a mod or skinhead ? :ayatollah:

I was a mod and i loved that way of life ... i became a mod through the music of the jam and then i got into the kinks and the small faces etc etc .... we would catch the train down to barry every bank holiday from rhymney train station and more and more mods would get on at every stop until we reached barry ... then the fun and games would begin with the skinheads :lol: there was never really any winners, just rushing each other now and again with a few short fist fights! ... it was just a good day out! :ayatollah: i miss those days!

:ayatollah:

why didnt the mods and skins get on ? was there a reason for all the fighting ? was barry and cardiff mostly skin heads or mods ? :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

it was just we dressed differently ... in those days people from tredegar would fight ebbw vale boys on the mountain between the towns just like football fans would fight each other on the streets.... it was thatchers britain and everywhere was fucked up to be honest. i was never into the violence and would just run back and for without throwing a punch or getting hit ... but i looked good doing it! :lol: :lol: :lol: ... even when i boxed a few years later i fought the same way! haha! [truth]

:lol: :lol:

Thu Sep 27, 2012 8:45 am

theracecourse wrote:

Would that be in a chip shop ? :lol:

Thu Sep 27, 2012 9:40 am

Mr Moo Cow wrote:
theracecourse wrote:

Would that be in a chip shop ? :lol:

It certainly was! I was with him and others when we were attacked by Newport and he said "somebody's going to pay for this." Sadly, one of Newport's top boys paid for it, but so did he - he got sent down for it.

Thu Sep 27, 2012 9:48 am

Jurgy liked picking up the soap in the shower I bet :lol:

Thu Sep 27, 2012 9:49 am

Mr Moo Cow wrote:Jurgy liked picking up the soap in the shower I bet :lol:

Careful, fella, you never know who's watching........

Thu Sep 27, 2012 10:07 am

:shock: :lol: :shock:

Thu Sep 27, 2012 12:35 pm

JBCCFC1927 wrote:I am a skinhead now. :salute: :salute: :salute:

Squarehead more like :roll:

Thu Sep 27, 2012 12:44 pm

Think there is some confusion here with original skinheads and mods and the revival of mods / skinheads.

The original Skins and Mods from the 60s are all one and the same. They were dressers, into their music, and some of the Skins were some of the original football lads. Theres a clip on Youtube of Chelsea Skins running Cardiff late 60s, but not the bonehead, bomber jacket, 24 holes cherry types. These were smart lads of their era.

Then in the late 70's / early 80s come the punk era and the mod revival. From what I understand the Skinheads from this era were the nazi bonheaded types in the main, and not in the same style as the dapper young chaps from the 60's.

Thu Sep 27, 2012 5:35 pm

Mario Polotelli wrote:Think there is some confusion here with original skinheads and mods and the revival of mods / skinheads.

The original Skins and Mods from the 60s are all one and the same. They were dressers, into their music, and some of the Skins were some of the original football lads. Theres a clip on Youtube of Chelsea Skins running Cardiff late 60s, but not the bonehead, bomber jacket, 24 holes cherry types. These were smart lads of their era.

Then in the late 70's / early 80s come the punk era and the mod revival. From what I understand the Skinheads from this era were the nazi bonheaded types in the main, and not in the same style as the dapper young chaps from the 60's.

Not strictly true. A lot of skinheads during the late 70s/early 80s revival were not nazis.

Thu Sep 27, 2012 5:42 pm

Nedd Glas wrote:
Mario Polotelli wrote:Think there is some confusion here with original skinheads and mods and the revival of mods / skinheads.

Not strictly true. A lot of skinheads during the late 70s/early 80s revival were not nazis.

Hence the phrase "in the main".

Thu Sep 27, 2012 6:11 pm

Mario Polotelli wrote:
Nedd Glas wrote:

That phrase suggested that the Nazi skins outnumbered the rest, which is not true. They were in a minority, hence the popularity of the likes of The Specials.

Thu Sep 27, 2012 6:18 pm

Nedd Glas wrote:
Mario Polotelli wrote:
Nedd Glas wrote:

That phrase suggested that the Nazi skins outnumbered the rest, which is not true. They were in a minority, hence the of the likes of The Specials.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skinhead#section_2

Thu Sep 27, 2012 6:53 pm

Mario Polotelli wrote:
Nedd Glas wrote:
Mario Polotelli wrote:
Nedd Glas wrote:

That phrase suggested that the Nazi skins outnumbered the rest, which is not true. They were in a minority, hence the of the likes of The Specials.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skinhead#section_2

Has someone jumped in on your ID? You're not really sending me a wiki link to say that my recollection of that era is wrong, surely?

Thu Sep 27, 2012 7:08 pm

I just put it up cos I thought it was a decent read on the history of skinhead :roll:

If you read the 1st pag of this thread and the OP it is about mods fighting skinheads.

Well surely the skinheads you are reffering to and mod revivalists are one and the same?

The skinhead battles i seen down barry island as a kid were the nazi bovver boy types.

Thu Sep 27, 2012 7:11 pm

Does anyone remember the Clockwork Orange faze? I was only a youngster at the time & was courting a girl from Pontypridd & she asked me if i wanted to go to a disco in the Muni, could'nt believe the sight when we walked in, there must have been about 200 in there all standing along the perimeter of the dance floor & most of them dressed in white,black DM's & bracers & mixed in with them the ugliest, meanest looking girls i've ever seen.No one danced all night & outside just choas with each visiting village scrapping with each other, the next time she asked me did i want to go to a disco in Ponty i told her to fook off, mad mad days. :o :old:

Thu Sep 27, 2012 7:48 pm

Mario Polotelli wrote:I just put it up cos I thought it was a decent read on the history of skinhead :roll:

If you read the 1st pag of this thread and the OP it is about mods fighting skinheads.

Well surely the skinheads you are reffering to and mod revivalists are one and the same?

The skinhead battles i seen down barry island as a kid were the nazi bovver boy types.

I didn't think it was a decent read - and quit the eye rolling, ya fecker!

I know what the OP was about and here goes, from my experience:

Just because they were bovver boys types, it doesn't mean they were all Nazis. I knew a lot of violent skinheads who weren't right wing and went to National Front marches to attack the fascists.

The revival started in early 1979 and, at that time, the skinheads didn't dress much different to mods. then they split into 4 different types: the originals, the revivalists, those who were into punk/Oi! music but weren't right wing and those who liked punk/Oi! music and were right wing (following the likes of the National Front, British Movement, November The 9th Society and others whose names escape me).

A lot of skins dressed in DMs with their skin tight jeans meeting the top of their boots, a shirt or polo shirt and an American Airforce green bomber jacket, but this wasn't the gear they wore initially when the revival hit big, it's what the majority changed to.

Yes, you would have seen skins at Barry Island dressed all pretty much the same, but that didn't mean they were Nazis, although there was a crowd from Ely who were. Some of the Ely skins still are now, but I think they are in a minority.

They wanted to separate themselves from the mods, because they wanted to fight everybody: mods, punks, rockers, whoever.