Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

A bit worried with City's new pricing scheme?

Tue Sep 25, 2012 2:45 pm

A bloke said to me in the Halifax today that he went down there on the day v Leeds with his 2 kids both under 9yrs old, City wanted £33,£15,£15, he said I only had £60 on me, so I had to give it a miss, the working class cant afford the new high prices.

Are City over pricing themselves?

What if were not in the Top 2, will fans pay the new prices?

Whats your thoughts?

Re: A bit worried with City's new pricing scheme?

Tue Sep 25, 2012 2:48 pm

Forever Blue wrote:A bloke said to me in the Halifax today that he went down there on the day v Leeds with his 2 kids both under 9yrs old, City wanted £33,£15,£15, he said I only had £60 on me, so I had to give it a miss, the working class cant afford the new high prices.

Whats your thoughts?

i had a feeling things like this would happen when they decided to roll out this new pricing concept.

Tue Sep 25, 2012 2:51 pm

I think if you leave it until the day of the game you have to expect to pay the high prices.

If people want to go to a game then just buy them early, if you cant do that then expect to pay the higher price especially for a big game like Leeds.

If starting prices are as low as £17 then people cant go wrong, even £21 currently for Blackpool is good value IMO. I bet it would have been more last season than £21. Last season I was phoning up early for a ticket for my dad and it was costing silly money and it was putting him off in the end. No doubt he will go more now this season :ayatollah:

Tue Sep 25, 2012 2:55 pm

Forever Blue wrote:A bloke said to me in the Halifax today that he went down there on the day v Leeds with his 2 kids both under 9yrs old, City wanted £33,£15,£15, he said I only had £60 on me, so I had to give it a miss, the working class cant afford the new high prices.

Whats your thoughts?

It is a tough one as the early bird gets the worm so to speak but others could miss out due to commitments and not being able to buy a ticket at the earliest oppertunity.

I think there should be some sort of tier system that for example based on the amount of matches attended would be reflected in the price paid.

I know this could be difficult but feel the dynamic prices will hurt certain types of people such as families, low income etc and i dont feel that is right.

I dont believe however that this will affect overall attendances as there will be plenty more people who will pay the prices ( if they are daft enough to pay £33 for a championship team).

Like the rebrand we have to like it or well nothing lol :ayatollah:

Tue Sep 25, 2012 2:56 pm

2blue2handle wrote:I think if you leave it until the day of the game you have to expect to pay the high prices.

If people want to go to a game then just buy them early, if you cant do that then expect to pay the higher price especially for a big game like Leeds.

If starting prices are as low as £17 then people cant go wrong, even £21 currently for Blackpool is good value IMO. I bet it would have been more last season than £21. Last season I was phoning up early for a ticket for my dad and it was costing silly money and it was putting him off in the end. No doubt he will go more now this season :ayatollah:

but what about people who cannot get tickets early eg work, if i new price was £17 then was £23 when going to but one i would think twice about paying bear in mind price could be higher than that!!

Tue Sep 25, 2012 2:58 pm

im a season ticket holder, but 2 of the lads that come with me are not. as pay day is not until friday they cannot buy a ticket until then...

its difficult for people at the moment, budgets are tight and there isnt alot of disposable income available to everyone.

Tue Sep 25, 2012 2:58 pm

pembroke allan wrote:
2blue2handle wrote:I think if you leave it until the day of the game you have to expect to pay the high prices.

but what about people who cannot get tickets early eg work, if i new price was £17 then was £23 when going to but one i would think twice about paying bear in mind price could be higher than that!!

Match day prices have always been a lot more expensive even before this new system.

If I surprisingly got a day off work and needed a ticket I would just expect to pay more tbh.

Tue Sep 25, 2012 3:05 pm

Whats your thoughts?

It will get worse if the team fails to win promotion either this season or next....how will the owners get any returns on their investment?....Hike up the ticket prices.

Tue Sep 25, 2012 3:06 pm

2blue2handle wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:

Match day prices have always been a lot more expensive even before this new system.

If I surprisingly got a day off work and needed a ticket I would just expect to pay more tbh.
#

most city fans will, but these are hard times and people more picky, preniership is the anser :lol:

Tue Sep 25, 2012 3:12 pm

I guess the idea is before when they had a set price if tickets were selling really bad then they couldn't reduce them if they had already sold some tickets at the set price.

Now by selling at a lower price and them gradually going up bit by bit as more sold mean more fans can have them at a cheaper price.

For example at a guess I would say last season when we had a set price tickets were more than £21 for this game. So that would have put off even more people?

Tue Sep 25, 2012 3:17 pm

Whats your thoughts?

All clubs are overpricing. Most of my mates don't go anymore as it's a rip off. Less mates, less fun but more money.

Tue Sep 25, 2012 3:20 pm

cant see what people are moaning about. last year all kids prices were 15.quid every game, apart from.family end of course. so bascianlly ur payin exactly what u would have last year. with adults it was a price strutcure.all.season last year, thr club are tryin to help people.save money this.season. so imo thr club are doin the rite thing. and well for that bloke who only had 60.quid on him i find hard to believe that he didnt have a bank card on him.

Tue Sep 25, 2012 3:32 pm

http://www.cardiffcityfc.co.uk/page/New ... 78,00.html

Tue Sep 25, 2012 4:00 pm

Whats your thoughts?

YEP....what a disgrace,children a £5......the children coming to games are tomorrows supprters,instead of taking £40 the city took .....nothing,and probably wont bother going back :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Tue Sep 25, 2012 4:01 pm

Just buy tickets early. Simple!

Tue Sep 25, 2012 4:01 pm

Got a ST myself in block 103. Every game either my dad (senior) or sister (adult), plus my niece and nephew (16 and17) come with me. We buy their tickets (near to my seat) about a fortnight in advance.

For Leeds the total for my dad, niece and nephew was £54. For Blackpool it was £53 total for my sister, niece and nephew.

That averages at between £17 and £18 each. There seems to be a new category this season of 16 to 21 year olds. Last season a 16yo and 17yo would have paid £29 each.

Can't fault the club on this. We have saved over £30 on each game, compared to last season.

Tue Sep 25, 2012 4:04 pm

it will stop people walking up on the day :ayatollah: :old: :ayatollah:

Tue Sep 25, 2012 4:11 pm

Whilst I do agree that the prices can get a little too high, the club has warned everyone of the new system and urges the early purchase of tickets.

If you're planning to get to the game, get them early. If you're unsure, you can't complain too much.

Tue Sep 25, 2012 4:18 pm

Jollffe wrote:Whilst I do agree that the prices can get a little too high, the club has warned everyone of the new system and urges the early purchase of tickets.

If you're planning to get to the game, get them early. If you're unsure, you can't complain too much.

I didnt realise that tickets were cheaper if bought early :ayatollah:

Tue Sep 25, 2012 4:46 pm

I think the principal of this demand price structure is good but I believe the club is also missing a trick here. I think it is generally accepted that there are a number of families who cannot afford season tickets and with the family stand full are paying very high prices elsewhere in the ground.

Time the club opened the corner between the canton and ninian, which is rarely full to families and concessions who for whatever reasons cannot buy season tickets. Surely it is better for the club to sell seats, whatever the price, than have empty seats in the stadium.

Over 1000 seats still available in that corner area for the game on Saturday I bet there will be 700+ still unsold at kick off time. Over the season the club is losing a great deal of money.

:ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Tue Sep 25, 2012 4:48 pm

castleblue wrote:I think the principal of this demand price structure is good but I believe the club is also missing a trick here. I think it is generally accepted that there are a number of families who cannot afford season tickets and with the family stand full are paying very high prices elsewhere in the ground.

Time the club opened the corner between the canton and ninian, which is rarely full to families and concessions who for whatever reasons cannot buy season tickets. Surely it is better for the club to sell seats, whatever the price, than have empty seats in the stadium.

Over 1000 seats still available in that corner area for the game on Saturday I bet there will be 700+ still unsold at kick off time. Over the season the club is losing a great deal of money.

Gary, I jut spoke to Julian, he explained better to me, I will let Carl put it out later in his mini update. :ayatollah:

Tue Sep 25, 2012 5:25 pm

Jollffe wrote:Whilst I do agree that the prices can get a little too high, the club has warned everyone of the new system and urges the early purchase of tickets.

It's not just the new system it's always been a lot more expensive on the day of games.

I guess the club want people to buy early so they can prepare the day ahead. Know roughly how many stewards, how many programmes, how many pies etc etc

Tue Sep 25, 2012 5:25 pm

It's not just the new system it's always been a lot more expensive on the day of games.

I guess the club want people to buy early so they can prepare the day ahead. Know roughly how many stewards, how many programmes, how many pies etc etc

Wed Sep 26, 2012 1:41 am

I would have thought they would be halving the ticket prices as the players only seem to turn up for half half the fecking game. :evil: :x

Wed Sep 26, 2012 2:17 am

Surely it should be cheaper on match day to get as many people into empty seats as possible? :?

I would rather pay early and spend an extra fiver than take the chance of going on match day and not having a seat. Also, those that go on match day may not get the seat they want but they get cheaper tickets.

If I went on match day and it was £30+ then sorry but I'd be going home or to a pub in Canton instead. That is ridiculous money. Love the club but come on.

Im worried that if we do go up i'll be priced out of a ticket to be honest.

I just dont get the logic of higher ticket prices on match day. For every person that turns down a £30 ticket im sure there would be 3 who would happily pay £10 each and then we'd have more chance of a fuller capacity. Whoever is in charge of business down there is a drip in all fairness.

Follow the German model FFS. Cheaper prices and cram the place out. :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Wed Sep 26, 2012 10:16 am

I'm becoming more convinced with each day that goes by that this demand based pricing scheme is reducing ticket sales rather than increasing sales.

This morning adult tickets in block 108/109, the corner between the Ninian and Canton stands are £25 which is the same price as a ticket in block 113/114 in the centre of the Ninian Stand. In the grandstand section a ticket in block 202/203 is £31 whilst a ticket in block 201 is £26. Block 202/203 is close to the halfway line whilst block 201 is on the wings of the grandstand.

If in the grandstand it is £5 cheaper for a ticket on the wings why on earth is a ticket in a corner section of the ground the same price as a seat on the halfway line of the Ninian stand. Which seat offers the best view? :?

There have been few games at the stadium where all the seats in blocks 108 / 109, 110/111 & 103 are all sold and for me there is little wonder. At the moment these blocks have 1441 seats unsold for Saturdays game and yet all that is going to happen over the next few days is the price will go up, which in my opinion will more than likely reduce demand.

It appears to me that the basic pricing structure of the ground is wrong as it should be cheaper to buy a seat in the centre blocks than on the corner. The club should also be looking to do more "One Off" marketing schemes like selling block 108/109 on a one full adult one child or concession halfprice, that alone if successful could bring in over £300k per season from an area of the ground which hardly ever sells out.

Unfortunately this will require someone at the club to accept there is a missed opportunity whenever there are large blocks of unsold seats and concentrate on maximising ways of selling those seats. In my opinion our club would rather rely on a large walkup demand than be proactive with any form of marketing.

As far as the club has grown and developed over the last 10 years in my opinion in some ways it is still stuck in a 1950 attitude which treats supporters as a captive audience, they know we are out there and they just sit back and hope we turn up.

In my opinion sexy schemes like demand based pricing will not fill the ground but I bet is looks really good when it's described in a powerpoint presentation, f**cking useless but sexy.

Wed Sep 26, 2012 10:34 am

I just think they should promote it a little better. As we know tickets start off really cheap (I pay £9 when they first go on sale for U16) so if more people know about it, more people will buy. Plus when the tickets get to whatever price they were last season (standard price) they should stop increasing the price as people won't want to buy for £33 at this level. If they stopped at standard price we would have easily got 25,000 for Leeds IMO :ayatollah:

Wed Sep 26, 2012 10:39 am

jackland_bluebird wrote:I would have thought they would be halving the ticket prices as the players only seem to turn up for half half the fecking game. :evil: :x

What a stupid comment. 100% win record at home would suggest otherwise! :roll:

Wed Sep 26, 2012 12:18 pm

If I wasn't a season ticket holder I wouldn't go, simple as that

Wed Sep 26, 2012 2:45 pm

They should just reduce ticket prices overall, obviously not too much. But if the tickets were cheaper it would interest even more people to go down and watch. Soon enough they would make a fortune if they did that, also cut prices on merchandise. 8-)