Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

I nearly joined Cardiff

Tue Sep 25, 2012 7:06 am

Danny Gabbidon reveals he almost rejoined Cardiff City
Sep 25 2012

Gabbidon almost rejoined Cardiff City
Danny Gabbidon has revealed how close he came to rejoining Cardiff City, but now the defender is looking to kick-start his career at Crystal Palace.

The 33-year-old was released by QPR this summer and has signed a one-year deal at Selhurst Park although he played no part in the Bluebirds’ 3-2 defeat at Selhurst Park on Saturday as he works his way to full fitness.

Gabbidon said he is looking forward to the challenge with the Eagles, but admitted he was disappointed a move back to Cardiff last year did not materialise.

In January 2011, then Bluebirds’ boss Dave Jones, attempted to bring the centre-half back to the Welsh capital from West Ham, the club Gabbidon had left Cardiff for back in July 2005.

“It certainly looked as though it would happen, but then West Ham wouldn’t let me leave and it all got a bit messed up,” he says.

“There was certainly an opportunity there for me to go back, but it didn’t materialise in the end. That was a little disappointing.

“I played a lot of games for Cardiff and have a lot of love for the football club. I had some great times and often felt it would be good to go back one day.”

Gabbidon has spent the last seven seasons in the Premier League with the Hammers and QPR.

But after being released from Loftus Road by his former manager with Wales Mark Hughes, Gabbidon spent the summer pondering his future in his hometown of Cwmbran.

“I had been training alone to try and maintain fitness,” said Gabbidon.

“That’s hard because it’s so different from working with a fitness coach alongside all the other players. It’s tough to keep going, but I made sure I had a base of fitness.

“Palace manager Dougie Freedman gave me a call and for the last couple of weeks I’ve been training with his squad.

“It feels good to be given an opportunity and if I can play some matches and pass on a bit of my experience then I’ll be happy.”

Read More http://www.walesonline.co.uk/footballna ... z27SkrrkzE

Re: I nearly joined Cardiff

Tue Sep 25, 2012 8:16 am

Forever Blue wrote:Danny Gabbidon reveals he almost rejoined Cardiff City
Sep 25 2012

Danny Gabbidon has revealed how close he came to rejoining Cardiff City, but now the defender is looking to kick-start his career at Crystal Palace.

The 33-year-old was released by QPR this summer and has signed a one-year deal at Selhurst Park although he played no part in the Bluebirds’ 3-2 defeat at Selhurst Park on Saturday as he works his way to full fitness.

Gabbidon said he is looking forward to the challenge with the Eagles, but admitted he was disappointed a move back to Cardiff last year did not materialise.

In January 2011, then Bluebirds’ boss Dave Jones, attempted to bring the centre-half back to the Welsh capital from West Ham, the club Gabbidon had left Cardiff for back in July 2005.

“It certainly looked as though it would happen, but then West Ham wouldn’t let me leave and it all got a bit messed up,” he says.

“There was certainly an opportunity there for me to go back, but it didn’t materialise in the end. That was a little disappointing.

“I played a lot of games for Cardiff and have a lot of love for the football club. I had some great times and often felt it would be good to go back one day.”

Gabbidon has spent the last seven seasons in the Premier League with the Hammers and QPR.

But after being released from Loftus Road by his former manager with Wales Mark Hughes, Gabbidon spent the summer pondering his future in his hometown of Cwmbran.

“That’s hard because it’s so different from working with a fitness coach alongside all the other players. It’s tough to keep going, but I made sure I had a base of fitness.

“Palace manager Dougie Freedman gave me a call and for the last couple of weeks I’ve been training with his squad.

“It feels good to be given an opportunity and if I can play some matches and pass on a bit of my experience then I’ll be happy.”

Thank god he didnt hes not good enough these days

Tue Sep 25, 2012 10:18 am

Out of interest, if one of these two defenders were to return, which one would you choose?

GABBIDON or LOOVENS

Which one?

Tue Sep 25, 2012 10:31 am

If Malky had intrest in him, I will shoot myself.

Tue Sep 25, 2012 10:33 am

Berwyn wrote:Out of interest, if one of these two defenders were to return, which one would you choose?

GABBIDON or LOOVENS

Which one?

Wouldnt have either personally but if i had to choose then id say Loovens. Real Zaragoza was last i heard, not sure if hes played many mind

Tue Sep 25, 2012 12:21 pm

Danny was class for us wind your neck in Dando you little shit.

Tue Sep 25, 2012 12:23 pm

Berwyn wrote:Out of interest, if one of these two defenders were to return, which one would you choose?

GABBIDON or LOOVENS

Which one?

Loovens now. Danny in their prime.

Tue Sep 25, 2012 12:32 pm

It does say January 2011, typical old article ICWales re-use, they will re-use it when we play palace again no doubt.

I don't think we need another CB so neither.

If we did the Loovens, sadly Gabbidon is past it.

Tue Sep 25, 2012 12:57 pm

Daniel Leon Gabbidon
How can the South Wales Echo publish a double page interview with me today when I aint spoke to them since the stone age !! Anyone got Terry Phillip's number I wanna open him up !!
Daniel Leon Gabbidon
Guess what ?? I've acquired Terry Phillip's number !

this is what danny is putting on facebook so it all a bag of bollocks in the echo today

Tue Sep 25, 2012 1:01 pm

mattc752 wrote:Daniel Leon Gabbidon
How can the South Wales Echo publish a double page interview with me today when I aint spoke to them since the stone age !! Anyone got Terry Phillip's number I wanna open him up !!
Daniel Leon Gabbidon
Guess what ?? I've acquired Terry Phillip's number !

this is what danny is putting on facebook so it all a bag of bollocks in the echo today

It's not bollox just old quotes talking about jan 2011

Tue Sep 25, 2012 1:06 pm

if danny says he has not spoken to them in ages i believe him not the echo i ask him questions on facebook know him since school

Tue Sep 25, 2012 1:11 pm

mattc752 wrote:if danny says he has not spoken to them in ages i believe him not the echo i ask him questions on facebook know him since school

Jan 2011 is ages?

These quotes have been around ages, at least the third time ive seen them on ICWales in the last year.

Tue Sep 25, 2012 1:18 pm

Jan 2011 is ages?

These quotes have been around ages, at least the third time ive seen them on ICWales in the last year.

why put the same quotes in the paper again has terry got no new news to report then !!!!!!

Tue Sep 25, 2012 1:23 pm

mattc752 wrote:Jan 2011 is ages?

why put the same quotes in the paper again has terry got no new news to report then !!!!!!

ICWales have always done this, not a very good paper

Tue Sep 25, 2012 4:01 pm

jinks-rct wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:Danny Gabbidon reveals he almost rejoined Cardiff City
Sep 25 2012

Thank god he didnt hes not good enough these days

this :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Tue Sep 25, 2012 7:06 pm

He was out with Earnshaw and Collins after our 3-1 win vs Wolves. :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Tue Sep 25, 2012 7:51 pm

lucky escape for us then. good first time round. but too injury prone for me :roll: