Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Re: More flights from Cardiff Airport!!

Tue Sep 25, 2012 3:16 pm

2blue2handle wrote:Did i read before that Bristol airport make no money from landing fee's, just make all the money from the shoping outlets?

I remember reading a few years ago about Cardiff had plans to restructure the airport with the entire first floor becoming the departure lounge. That would have made up plenty of room for shopping outlets and could do the same as long as passengers were going through the airport.

yes something like that or their fees are low! thats why said there are ways around such things but for some reason we are not prepared to look at them, its been same for years nothing was done to keep bmi baby or anyone else for that matter, how many airlines withdrawn from bristol? none because if they say they we will, something is done to stop them, we do nothing just say never mind thats life ffs.

Tue Sep 25, 2012 3:25 pm

pembroke allan wrote:
2blue2handle wrote:Did i read before that Bristol airport make no money from landing fee's, just make all the money from the shoping outlets?

I remember reading a few years ago about Cardiff had plans to restructure the airport with the entire first floor becoming the departure lounge. That would have made up plenty of room for shopping outlets and could do the same as long as passengers were going through the airport.

yes something like that or their fees are low! thats why said there are ways around such things but for some reason we are not prepared to look at them, its been same for years nothing was done to keep bmi baby or anyone else for that matter, how many airlines withdrawn from bristol? none because if they say they we will, something is done to stop them, we do nothing just say never mind thats life ffs.

yeah your proabably right mate. something needs to be done, a sooner rather than later or it will end up closing.

Tue Sep 25, 2012 5:25 pm

I hope it does close. It will be a pain in the arse. but its the only way its going to be transformed into a decent airport. Close it down, get rid of the owners and start again!

Tue Sep 25, 2012 6:17 pm

ive never gone from any other airport than cardiff for my hols it may be a bit more exspensive but i live in ely so i know when we land im practable home no more travelling etc :ayatollah:

Tue Sep 25, 2012 6:23 pm

Looking at the stats they show that 5 times more people now go from Bristol Airport than Cardiff and that 14% of their passengers are from Wales. I would much rather fly from Cardiff than Bristol but am being forced to travel from Bristol because of the piss poor choice from Cardiff. Bristol Airport departure lounge is way too small for the number of people who go through there - much prefer Cardiff which seems civilized in comparison.

If you go back say 10/15 years Cardiff Airport was thriving and Bristol Airport were the "poor cousins". Is it the South Wales economy or is it down to poor management and overpriced landing fees as Cardiff Airport still has plenty of potential.

Tue Sep 25, 2012 8:48 pm

its combination of all! :D the powers to be wont invest any money unless operaters of airport will and dont think that will happen while in decline, all need kick up backside , been to bristol and it is minute in ticket area compared to ours but does look better from outside! trouble now is in middle of deep depression so almost impossible to get new carrier in like ryanair they are cutting back not expanding! need to get euro destinations sorted, ffs went to barbados last year from cdf lot easier than going to gatwick and cheaper so why not spain ect ect! :x

Tue Sep 25, 2012 9:28 pm

When returning to CWL, the walk from the plane to passport control is incredible! Talk about a magical mystery tour! :lol: Corridors, stairs, more corridors, stairs...

Agree with the poster above - a rail link would be beneficial. Parking costs are not cheap at that place! Do they still run flights to Paris? Last time I flew there I had to go via Amsterdam! :?

Tue Sep 25, 2012 9:33 pm

bloo wrote:When returning to CWL, the walk from the plane to passport control is incredible! Talk about a magical mystery tour! :lol: Corridors, stairs, more corridors, stairs...

Agree with the poster above - a rail link would be beneficial. Parking costs are not cheap at that place! Do they still run flights to Paris? Last time I flew there I had to go via Amsterdam! :?

have you tried swapping planes at schipol?? takes longer to walk than to flying :lol: very thew direct flights to europe but direct to angelsey!!!!! :lol:

Tue Sep 25, 2012 9:43 pm

bloo wrote:When returning to CWL, the walk from the plane to passport control is incredible! Talk about a magical mystery tour! :lol: Corridors, stairs, more corridors, stairs...

Nothing compared to most airports.

Stand 12, 13, 14 are a bit of a walk but I've timed it a 3min walk at a steady rate and those stands are only used at busy times. More the exception than the rule.

Flybe have done Paris flights for at least the past two years.

Can go anywhere via Amsterdam tho

Tue Sep 25, 2012 9:58 pm

2blue2handle wrote:

Nothing compared to most airports.

Stand 12, 13, 14 are a bit of a walk but I've timed it a 3min walk at a steady rate and those stands are only used at busy times. More the exception than the rule.

Flybe have done Paris flights for at least the past two years.

Can go anywhere via Amsterdam tho

only trouble with amstadam flight is not reliable! standing joke on radio wales travel builetin about it being late! :lol:

Tue Sep 25, 2012 10:15 pm

Maybe because they have three a day it seems more. Other than technical issues which are obviously uncontrollable then they generally come in early.

Tue Sep 25, 2012 10:34 pm

still nothing to liverpool! f*cking shite! :lol: :lol:

Tue Sep 25, 2012 10:46 pm

Taff on the Mersey wrote:still nothing to liverpool! f*cking shite! :lol: :lol:

Get a taxi from Newcastle :old: :lol:

Wed Oct 31, 2012 11:59 am

There are more routes to come out of the airport of late

Vueling have resumed the Palma service which will get started late June - and the other 3 routes (Alicante, Malaga and Barcelona) have been extended until october

Also Lufthansa from May 2013 are offering weekly flights from Cardiff to Dusseldorf every saturday.

I know its not lots, but its small steps! :ayatollah:

Wed Oct 31, 2012 1:19 pm

Ill be very interested to see how the Dusseldorf flight does :ayatollah:

Wed Oct 31, 2012 1:34 pm

I think the walk to passport control at CWL is good and in most cases not much more than 100 meters. This summer I booked 2 weeks in long stay car park 2 for £39 as I booked early.

I would also say from my experience of the last few years that flights are pretty much on time as well. I think that CWL is better than we give it credit for.

Just my opinion.

:ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Wed Oct 31, 2012 1:42 pm

castleblue wrote:

I think the walk to passport control at CWL is good and in most cases not much more than 100 meters. This summer I booked 2 weeks in long stay car park 2 for £39 as I booked early.

I would also say from my experience of the last few years that flights are pretty much on time as well. I think that CWL is better than we give it credit for.

Just my opinion.

I think it's a case of if you read enough then you believe and look for it.
It's like if I would have to charge someone because they haven't booked for any bags to take with them, the usual quip is about no wonder this airport is going to the dogs, and I won't fly from cardiff again - in truth it has nothing at all to do with the airport.

It's like Cowie at the football on Tuesday he was very good, but the sign of any mistake and it was a huge moan in the crowd because of what they read online about him IMO.

Wed Oct 31, 2012 1:45 pm

2blue2handle wrote:Ill be very interested to see how the Dusseldorf flight does :ayatollah:

agreed.... but if its only weekly that wont help. who goes to germany for 7 nights??

as for the spanish flights, as the airport is spanish owned thats the only reason we have those routes.. we need easyjet for the airport to really get the routes and numbers it deserves.

there was always a busy flight from cardiff to germany years ago into paderborn that was always full. but i believe it was manly for people travelling back and forth the to the forces base.

Wed Oct 31, 2012 1:47 pm

Blackwood_Bluebird wrote:
2blue2handle wrote:Ill be very interested to see how the Dusseldorf flight does :ayatollah:

agreed.... but if its only weekly that wont help. who goes to germany for 7 nights??

as for the spanish flights, as the airport is spanish owned thats the only reason we have those routes.. we need easyjet for the airport to really get the routes and numbers it deserves.

there was always a busy flight from cardiff to germany years ago into paderborn that was always full. but i believe it was manly for people travelling back and forth the to the forces base.

Yeah the fact it's once a week doesn't help.

The vuelings will do well :ayatollah:

Wed Oct 31, 2012 2:02 pm

2blue2handle wrote:
castleblue wrote:

Just my opinion.

I think it's a case of if you read enough then you believe and look for it.
It's like if I would have to charge someone because they haven't booked for any bags to take with them, the usual quip is about no wonder this airport is going to the dogs, and I won't fly from cardiff again - in truth it has nothing at all to do with the airport.

It's like Cowie at the football on Tuesday he was very good, but the sign of any mistake and it was a huge moan in the crowd because of what they read online about him IMO.

I speak as I find and CWL is in my opinion as good as any other regional airport and if there is one thing I would like too see done is a direct road link from the M4, but as you say that has nothing to do with the airport. I would rather use CWL any day of the week compared to Dusseldorf which despite being a very modern airport has taken security checks to a whole new level of annoying. Talk about gestapo and "Give me your papers" absolutely unbelieveable.

Also think Don Cowie is one of our more reliable players and I like Rudy :o

:ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Wed Oct 31, 2012 2:06 pm

The Dussledorf route is mostly based on bringing German tourists into Wales through travel agents

Lufthansa opted to make seats bookable both ends to allow welsh tourists to do the same and visit germany and use their connection service, a bit like what KLM do at Cardiff via amsterdam but obviously not as effective as they operate 3 daily flights.

This has proved popular at Newquay, so if they can do it sucessfully, theres no doubt that cardiff can :ayatollah:

Thu Nov 01, 2012 9:25 am

I think i will use the dusseldorf flights if lufthansa can make it a good price. Fly back and forth with frankfurt hahn at the moment, but will drive the extra hour for dusseldorf so i dont have to use stansted.

Plus any excuse for a possible night out in dusseldorf, best place ive been for a night out anywhere!

Thu Nov 01, 2012 9:41 am

its a awful airport. £2 for a trolley ffs....such a rip off.

Thu Nov 01, 2012 3:15 pm

goats wrote:its a awful airport. £2 for a trolley ffs....such a rip off.

Yeah because the trollys in Bristol are free :roll:

Thu Nov 01, 2012 4:14 pm

2blue2handle wrote:

No they're not.

Thu Nov 01, 2012 4:16 pm

A Quiet Monkfish wrote:
2blue2handle wrote:

No they're not.

I know the same price, that's why I did the Rolly face ;)

Thu Nov 01, 2012 4:20 pm

Stan_B wrote:Looking at the stats they show that 5 times more people now go from Bristol Airport than Cardiff and that 14% of their passengers are from Wales. I would much rather fly from Cardiff than Bristol but am being forced to travel from Bristol because of the piss poor choice from Cardiff. Bristol Airport departure lounge is way too small for the number of people who go through there - much prefer Cardiff which seems civilized in comparison.

If you go back say 10/15 years Cardiff Airport was thriving and Bristol Airport were the "poor cousins". Is it the South Wales economy or is it down to poor management and overpriced landing fees as Cardiff Airport still has plenty of potential.

Although Bristol Airport has left Cardiff Airport in it's wake, the runway at Bristol has a major fault, and it has very poor road links. 40% of UK passenger traffic is from this side of the bridge. After Heathrow, they have the highest landing charges ! Nearly EVERY major airline, including Ryanair and Easy jet, have contingency plans to base a fleet of aircraft in Cardiff should the owners come into the real world. They believe that there is massive potential here.

Meanwhile our Assembly Governemnt debates ........

Thu Nov 01, 2012 4:21 pm

2blue2handle wrote:
A Quiet Monkfish wrote:
2blue2handle wrote:

No they're not.

I know the same price, that's why I did the Rolly face ;)

Missed it.!

Thu Nov 01, 2012 4:31 pm

Ramstein blue wrote:I think i will use the dusseldorf flights if lufthansa can make it a good price. Fly back and forth with frankfurt hahn at the moment, but will drive the extra hour for dusseldorf so i dont have to use stansted.

Plus any excuse for a possible night out in dusseldorf, best place ive been for a night out anywhere!

Im sure the prices are quite reasonable, when i did a mock booking the price came up at £115 return :ayatollah:

Thu Nov 01, 2012 7:44 pm

Dusseldorf great for little football holiday - loads of teams nearby - Moenchengladbach, Cologne, Schalke, Dortmund, Leverkusen etc etc. Well worth a week there. More interesting than bloody Dubai.