Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

More flights from Cardiff Airport!!

Mon Sep 24, 2012 2:46 pm

Cardiff airport has received a boost with a low-cost airline offering a new route between Cardiff and Malaga in Spain next summer alongside Barcelona and Alicante and Palma!!

Barcelona-based airline Vueling said it would fly to Malaga after demand from passengers and travel agents.

Javier Suarez, route planning senior manager at Vueling which already operates three routes from Cardiff, said: "August and September have been better than expected giving us more confidence in the Wales market.

While Vueling's Barcelona service will now operate two days a week instead of three, the airline is revamping the schedule on the service in an effort to improve passenger numbers.

"We are also extending our Cardiff-Alicante route," said Mr Suarez.

"Last summer, we started this route on the 22nd of June. We will this coming year operate the route all the summer season, starting at the beginning of April."

Re: More flights from Cardiff Airport!!

Mon Sep 24, 2012 2:50 pm

Good news :ayatollah:

No doubt the Malaga Route will be a success. :ayatollah:

Mon Sep 24, 2012 2:51 pm

Cheers Liam, Very helpful. :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Mon Sep 24, 2012 3:51 pm

Airport also to get a bit of an overhaul and (wait for this) a rebranding :o

Mon Sep 24, 2012 3:52 pm

2blue2handle wrote:Airport also to get a bit of an overhaul and (wait for this) a rebranding :o

:lol:

It needs something, it's awful.

Mon Sep 24, 2012 5:22 pm

A lick of paint and a few new signs won't change much.
1 new destination, possibly replacing another won't change much. The airport has been declining for years.

Mon Sep 24, 2012 6:24 pm

2blue2handle wrote:Airport also to get a bit of an overhaul and (wait for this) a rebranding :o

Maybe VT's buying it :lol:

Mon Sep 24, 2012 6:27 pm

Agree, we are flying to Portugal in 3weels from brizzle :-( only because it is far cheaper to get numbers back they have to get a lot more competitive, that's what will get me back anyway.

Mon Sep 24, 2012 7:11 pm

wonder if they will paint it red and call it red dragon airport it may bring it good fortune :o :ayatollah:

Mon Sep 24, 2012 8:04 pm

ayahtolla wrote:Agree, we are flying to Portugal in 3weels from brizzle :-( only because it is far cheaper to get numbers back they have to get a lot more competitive, that's what will get me back anyway.

Price will always determine it for most people.

I get the feeling people don't mind spendin a little more to fly from cardiff but when it's big money people won't do it.

Hopefully vueling keep doing more and more flights

Monarch's Orlando trip done well and will be more flights.

Plenty of potential if they can get the right flights.

Mon Sep 24, 2012 9:43 pm

good news, we have been asking for a malaga flight for ages. we have just withdrawn a number of flights from cardiff for next yr so if another airline is flying we will be able to co share their flight.

cardiff airport need to sort out their landing fees though, much higher than other regional airports. its difficult to attract airlines with these costs.

also the airport transport needs to be better. a direct train link from city centre is needed.

Mon Sep 24, 2012 9:47 pm

Blackwood_Bluebird wrote:good news, we have been asking for a malaga flight for ages. we have just withdrawn a number of flights from cardiff for next yr so if another airline is flying we will be able to co share their flight.

cardiff airport need to sort out their landing fees though, much higher than other regional airports. its difficult to attract airlines with these costs.

also the airport transport needs to be better. a direct train link from city centre is needed.

BMI Baby used to go a Malaga flight and it was usually busy.

No doubt vuelin will sell plenty for this flight.

Mon Sep 24, 2012 9:50 pm

2blue2handle wrote:
Blackwood_Bluebird wrote:good news, we have been asking for a malaga flight for ages. we have just withdrawn a number of flights from cardiff for next yr so if another airline is flying we will be able to co share their flight.

BMI Baby used to go a Malaga flight and it was usually busy.

No doubt vuelin will sell plenty for this flight.

we had an allocation of seats off them for malaga and faro, always sold well, but they wernt making any money. thomson and thomas cook had a large allocation of seats on both flights also palma on a tuesday as well.

Mon Sep 24, 2012 9:54 pm

Yeah I remember.

I struggle to see how BMI weren't making money with all the charges they used to hand out :lol:

Mon Sep 24, 2012 9:59 pm

2blue2handle wrote:Yeah I remember.

I struggle to see how BMI weren't making money with all the charges they used to hand out :lol:

:lol:

theres a very small profit margin in air passengers, hense why they pack so many people in. bums on seats are important. most airlines only average between £5-£15 max per passenger profit after, taxes, aviation fuel and other costs. the margins are really small. with bmi baby the costs from cardiff with ratio to passengers was not working as they were struggling to compete with easyjet and ryanair from bristol . hence why the went to east midlands.

Mon Sep 24, 2012 10:12 pm

It couldn't have been just cardiff though, they pulled out of a number of airports before going bust.

Mon Sep 24, 2012 10:20 pm

2blue2handle wrote:It couldn't have been just cardiff though, they pulled out of a number of airports before going bust.

not directly cardiff you are right but it did play a large part, durham tees just didnt work, passengers were really low. the costs at cardiff and manchester prompted them to pull out and move to birmingham and east midlands airports respectively to increase services from this region.

before the merger there were plans to sell bmi baby part off, however they took too much time and iag ended ip owning bmibaby aswell, as a buyer still could not be found thats when they decided to close them down.

it was only this month that they finally ceased. the aircraft they had left are still around somewhere, but im not too sure where.

Tue Sep 25, 2012 10:06 am

2blue2handle wrote:
ayahtolla wrote:Agree, we are flying to Portugal in 3weels from brizzle :-( only because it is far cheaper to get numbers back they have to get a lot more competitive, that's what will get me back anyway.

Price will always determine it for most people.

I get the feeling people don't mind spendin a little more to fly from cardiff but when it's big money people won't do it.

Hopefully vueling keep doing more and more flights

Monarch's Orlando trip done well and will be more flights.

Plenty of potential if they can get the right flights.

As a consumer I suppose I behave in the same way as most others. When I book my week in Zante I just click the cheapest be that Bristol or Cardiff. Mostly it's been Bristol but this year, for the first time in a long time, it was Cardiff. Hopefully this is a sign of things to come.

I can remember not that many years ago Bristol being way behind Cardiff. Lots of people would joke that Bristol was a landing strip in a farmers field. But over the years it over took Cardiff, hopefully now things are turning around.

Tue Sep 25, 2012 10:57 am

It's funny actually we have had quite a few people come from Bristol this year to fly from cardiff.

Tue Sep 25, 2012 12:59 pm

2blue2handle wrote:It's funny actually we have had quite a few people come from Bristol this year to fly from cardiff.

Yes there were a few on my flight. It's not hard for that to happen though, because when you book with Thomas Cook etc, you select "any south west" and it selects the cheapest flight automatically. If you want to change the airport you can but usualy that means around £40 more for each person. So even if it's just two of you it means stay in Bristol or fly from Cardiff and save £80. The only time I'd change it is if it was a better flight time.

For me there's no huge difference in time travelling to either and I suspect that's the same for most.

Tue Sep 25, 2012 1:07 pm

Berwyn wrote:
2blue2handle wrote:It's funny actually we have had quite a few people come from Bristol this year to fly from cardiff.

Yes there were a few on my flight. It's not hard for that to happen though, because when you book with Thomas Cook etc, you select "any south west" and it selects the cheapest flight automatically. If you want to change the airport you can but usualy that means around £40 more for each person. So even if it's just two of you it means stay in Bristol or fly from Cardiff and save £80. The only time I'd change it is if it was a better flight time.

For me there's no huge difference in time travelling to either and I suspect that's the same for most.

For me its a lot closer, I can get a lift to Cardiff.
Bristol I would have to drive (petrol expensive as well as inconvenience), pay to park and then the bridge. Sad thing is despite all those factors last time I went away it was still cheaper than Bristol.

Tue Sep 25, 2012 2:03 pm

2blue2handle wrote:
Berwyn wrote:

For me its a lot closer, I can get a lift to Cardiff.
Bristol I would have to drive (petrol expensive as well as inconvenience), pay to park and then the bridge. Sad thing is despite all those factors last time I went away it was still cheaper than Bristol.

cardiff has definately gone in decline over the last couple of yrs though. 2009 almost 2.6mil passengers, 2011 down to around 1.2 mil.

the best thing that could happen, is the spanish company thats owns the airport sell it and let new investors come in and give it a major over haul. its hard to entice new airlines in at the moment and the current charter programme with tui and thomas cook are cancelling routes left right and centre. thomas cook have withdrawn the following routes for 2013

las palmas, fuerteventura, corfu, antalya, alicante, malaga, faro, kefalonia, kos, may and october flights to ibiza & menorca.

on the plus side though having a sanford florida flight back with monarch/ cosmos is a good addition.

i can remember yrs ago when i started in the travel industry we had flights from cardiff to domincan republic, mexico etc.. now we can barely get 2 out of the 4 canary islands!

Tue Sep 25, 2012 2:34 pm

blame welsh assembly they are not interested in finding way to help airport get customers! rail link/roads ect ect = united airlines want to set up route to usa but wag wont garauntee 1m a year for 5yrs to cover losses while it gets established! yet will pay 1.5m a year to subsadise mickey mouse airways to angelsey!! ffs couldnt make it up! by way all experts say united would bring upto 200m to economy over 5ys so dont hold breath only see it closeing eventually, have you noticed bristol is known as (bristol international) on travel websites, we are just cardff, dropped international bit, silly thing is our runway can take jumbos bristol cannot!! :x

Tue Sep 25, 2012 2:47 pm

They need a ryanair or easyjet badly. And need to sort there parking out massively. I pay 3euro a day when i fly back to the uk. Doesnt matter if the transport links are poor if parking is that cheap.

I dont think its going to help Cardiff if Ryanair buy stansted.

Tue Sep 25, 2012 2:55 pm

Ramstein blue wrote:They need a ryanair or easyjet badly. And need to sort there parking out massively. I pay 3euro a day when i fly back to the uk. Doesnt matter if the transport links are poor if parking is that cheap.

they have just restructured their pricing. 18 quid a week in the long stay 2. 36 quid 2 weeks.

they wont get a ryanair, or easy jet, until they make the landing fees cheaper.

the welsh assembly want to put money in but only if the spanish owners match the same amount. they wont so the assembly have their hands tied. the best thing is for the current owners to sell up, we would probably lose vuling airlines then, but could attract as above united etc.. and then maybe easyjet. for the time being its stuck in a rut.

the charter flights are being withdrawn because they cant compete with flight prices from bristol due to cardiffs landing fees being much higher.

Tue Sep 25, 2012 2:56 pm

Ramstein blue wrote:They need a ryanair or easyjet badly. And need to sort there parking out massively. I pay 3euro a day when i fly back to the uk. Doesnt matter if the transport links are poor if parking is that cheap.

Lots of posters up around the airport saying about parking.

"Park on site not out of site! Pre book your parking at the airport from £1.99 per day!*"
no doubt terms and conditions apply though and I havent tried

Tue Sep 25, 2012 3:01 pm

Blackwood_Bluebird wrote:

they have just restructured their pricing. 18 quid a week in the long stay 2. 36 quid 2 weeks.

they wont get a ryanair, or easy jet, until they make the landing fees cheaper.

the welsh assembly want to put money in but only if the spanish owners match the same amount. they wont so the assembly have their hands tied. the best thing is for the current owners to sell up, we would probably lose vuling airlines then, but could attract as above united etc.. and then maybe easyjet. for the time being its stuck in a rut.

the charter flights are being withdrawn because they cant compete with flight prices from bristol due to cardiffs landing fees being much higher.

these things can be got around but nobody is willing to do it, thats how bristol manage to be so succesfull, they like others find way, we always find excuse not to do it instead of saying how can we do it! wag is all mouth when comes to crunch they find an excuse not to put money in eg rd/rail links , stupid thing is bristols access is far worse than cardiffs

Tue Sep 25, 2012 3:07 pm

Did i read before that Bristol airport make no money from landing fee's, just make all the money from the shoping outlets?

I remember reading a few years ago about Cardiff had plans to restructure the airport with the entire first floor becoming the departure lounge. That would have made up plenty of room for shopping outlets and could do the same as long as passengers were going through the airport.

Tue Sep 25, 2012 3:11 pm

2blue2handle wrote:Did i read before that Bristol airport make no money from landing fee's, just make all the money from the shoping outlets?

I remember reading a few years ago about Cardiff had plans to restructure the airport with the entire first floor becoming the departure lounge. That would have made up plenty of room for shopping outlets and could do the same as long as passengers were going through the airport.

Cardiff could do with more shops etc.

Tue Sep 25, 2012 3:14 pm

Berwyn wrote:
2blue2handle wrote:Did i read before that Bristol airport make no money from landing fee's, just make all the money from the shoping outlets?

Cardiff could do with more shops etc.

The female clothes shop has recently closed so shop space is available again.

I dont understand why they dont open a superdrug type shop. People cant get liquids through security and plenty would buy stuff especially those who just take hand luggage.