Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Re: Mike Tyson knockouts

Tue Sep 25, 2012 3:13 pm

One of THE greatest of all time came from south Wales, Jimmy Wilde, his fight record is incomparable, over 100 pro fights before his first defeat and over 600 bouts in total if you include his unlicensed fights in the fairground booths. His few defeats were either questionable or against much heavier opponents. Without a doubt he was the greatest flyweight to walk the earth and ranked as the third hardest puncher, pound for pound, of all time.

Tue Sep 25, 2012 3:35 pm

frazier wrote:One of THE greatest of all time came from south Wales, Jimmy Wilde, his fight record is incomparable, over 100 pro fights before his first defeat and over 600 bouts in total if you include his unlicensed fights in the fairground booths. His few defeats were either questionable or against much heavier opponents. Without a doubt he was the greatest flyweight to walk the earth and ranked as the third hardest puncher, pound for pound, of all time.

I was sure my great grandad (RIP) mentioned him as his favourite boxer and said he was known as the ghost with a hammer in each hand. So I searched the nickname up after this post to check because I couldn't remember his name. It was the "Ghost with the Hammer in his Hand" so it was slightly wrong but I'm sure it was him so thanks for mentioning this boxer. Might seem insignificant but it was one of the best memories I had of my great grandad but I forgot the boxers name so thank you. Although a bit of pointless information but my great grandad wasn't welsh either so had no bias in that respect but really thought highly of him. Again thanks!

Tue Sep 25, 2012 3:47 pm

He was indeed nicknamed the ghost with a hammer in his hand due to his lethal punching power, also known as the Tylorstown terror :ayatollah:

Tue Sep 25, 2012 5:46 pm

I have got the autobiography for Jimmy Wilde and its a cracking read. The Man is a legend. Also if you get the chance read Jimmy Driscoll's peerless Jim. Amazing those two books. :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Tue Sep 25, 2012 5:53 pm

The fella who wrote the Jim Driscoll book came in the royal oak to research Jim because of his family connections with the then landlady and all the memorabilia in the pub. Me and my mate had some copies of the photos used in the book given to us by Kitty the landlady :ayatollah:

Tue Sep 25, 2012 6:03 pm

frazier wrote:The fella who wrote the Jim Driscoll book came in the royal oak to research Jim because of his family connections with the then landlady and all the memorabilia in the pub. Me and my mate had some copies of the photos used in the book given to us by Kitty the landlady :ayatollah:

Fantastic can you put some up on here Chief ?

Tue Sep 25, 2012 6:06 pm

Nuclearblue wrote:
JBCCFC1927 wrote:
Nuclearblue wrote:
JBCCFC1927 wrote:
Nuclearblue wrote:
JBCCFC1927 wrote:Mayweather Jnr is the only boxer of the modern era who could have went toe to toe with the greats of previous generations. The guy is just different class compared to what is out there today and he has only stepped it up 3 times in his whole career, against De La Hoya, Judah and Mosley when he got tagged he turned it on and put Shane back in his place with sheer class. Floyd rarely steps out of 1st gear in the modern era and I believe against an era where there was a lot of greats we would have seen him in some all time classic fights.

Ali and Sugar Ray still the greatest two for me though. :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

But Floydy aint a heavyweight Chief

I know he isn't but I was on about all time boxers in my post buddy. :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Saul Alvarez is a good boxer but his record is filled with quite a few nobodies which in theory is good as it gets him names on his record but it also bloats it and thus misjudges those who don't seriously follow the sport.

Im an avid boxing fan and you know the sport is dire when the thing you are hoping the most for is that Brook KO's Khan. It might not happen and Khan would be favourite but I'd love to see it happen just because of the way Khan speaks like he is untouchable. :lol: :lol: :lol:

:ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: Are you going to see Cleverly fight Chief ?

Unlikely mate as im just starting uni this week now, getting back into lectures at last thank God! (never thought I'd say that in my life but there you go :lol: ).

I will be going out though and watching it down the pub with a bunch of mates from South Wales. :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Yourself?

Yes defo going. If you can get down the CCS on wed 2pm Clev is doing a training session there :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Hopefully its a good fight and you get your moneys worth mate. Im sure you will do with Clev in action. :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Tue Sep 25, 2012 6:16 pm

Nuclearblue wrote:
frazier wrote:The fella who wrote the Jim Driscoll book came in the royal oak to research Jim because of his family connections with the then landlady and all the memorabilia in the pub. Me and my mate had some copies of the photos used in the book given to us by Kitty the landlady :ayatollah:

Up in the attic in a box somewhere I'm afraid, I'll dig them out soon as I can :ayatollah:

Tue Sep 25, 2012 6:17 pm

frazier wrote:
Nuclearblue wrote:

Up in the attic in a box somewhere I'm afraid, I'll dig them out soon as I can :ayatollah:

:ayatollah: :ayatollah: I must of read that book nearly 30 years ago :ayatollah:

Tue Sep 25, 2012 6:24 pm

I think it was around 1984 when she gave us the pics so I guess that's about when the book was released, I may sound daft here but was it a bloke called Cordell who did the book?

Tue Sep 25, 2012 6:29 pm

frazier wrote:I think it was around 1984 when she gave us the pics so I guess that's about when the book was released, I may sound daft here but was it a bloke called Cordell who did the book?

I honestly cant remember Chief. I got it from a Library in Bristol :ayatollah: wouldn't mind reading it again sometime if i can find it. :ayatollah: