Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

' You can’t give away cheap goals in this division '

Mon Sep 24, 2012 6:24 am

Malky Mackay: You can’t give away cheap goals in this division, which is what we did
Sep 24 2012

“I WAS disappointed at Palace and delighted at Millwall. If we hadn’t given two penalties away we would have been joint top of the table.

In the first half, we scored two good goals and a had third chance. Nine times out of 10, Craig Bellamy would have taken that.

I don’t have any qualms with the penalty decisions. We gifted the two of them.

We made some basic errors after holding a commanding 2-0 lead at half-time. Three mistakes saw the second half swing in Crystal Palace’s favour.

First off, Andrew Taylor raised a hand from the free-kick which gave Palace a penalty.

Their second goal came from a deflection as the ball headed to the back post. David Marshall palmed it away only for it to rebound off Matt Connolly who was heading back to the net. That’s a bit of a calamity.

For the third Palace goal it was a case of Heidar Helguson lunging in on the edge of the area when he should have stood up and blocked the ball.

It was a rash challenge. Giving two penalties away isn’t good and not something which is easy to come back from.

You can’t give away cheap goals in this division, which is what we did. If you do that you deserve to be punished.

But we’ll go on to the next game and are in the top half of the table, three points from the top position.

After the mistakes were made we’re not scratching our heads, wondering what went wrong.

We know exactly what mistakes were made and it’s about making sure we recover from that quickly, getting on to the next game.”

Read More http://www.walesonline.co.uk/footballna ... z27MjgEft6

Re: ' You can’t give away cheap goals in this division '

Mon Sep 24, 2012 9:20 am

You can't really give cheap goals away in any division.

Re: ' You can’t give away cheap goals in this division '

Mon Sep 24, 2012 4:05 pm

Losses understood correctly can be valuable, we need to build on the lapses.

Not a knee jerk reaction, but I would like to see Kiss given a bit more time on the park especially away.

I believe we need to play 4231 away with any 2 of kiss,mutch or gunnar

With any three of Whits, noon, Kim bo, smith, conway,cowie.

With the much maligned Helguson, Etien but especially Mason up top.

But need cover at the back against the better teams away and Kiss gives us a little more grunt in the middle.