Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

GREAT LITTLE READ HERE GUYS

Sun Sep 23, 2012 4:50 pm

http://efcfeelinblue.com/the-cardiff-co ... onnectionI was mainly into to rugby as a young lad and never got into footy until we moved to Cardiff in my late primary school years.

I used to go to see Cardiff City play when they used to play in blue and not playing in a shitty red colour that they play in today! I bloody hate red, but being a passionate Welshman, it was always my favourite colour, except when I saw it on that team who should not be named who reside across Stanley Park.

My early recollections as a kid was to stand on the ‘Bob Bank’ Ninian Park, where I later learned all the nutters used to stand, or should I say, Cardiff hooligans or anyone up for a brawl! I was only in primary school and did not realise how hard core some of the fans around me could be!

What I do remember was the bitter rivalry or should I say hatred of the other two teams that was close to the city of Cardiff, Swansea City and Newport County. Swansea and Cardiff fans in the 80s were very bitter towards each other and at the peak of the decade of the ‘footy hooligan 80s’ they used to have street battles before and after the match, with the football match getting in the way. ‘Swansea Jacks’ used to be so hated by Cardiff fans and vice versa and for such a small area of the Welsh coast the rivalry was intense!

I had started being a ‘fan’ of Everton as a kid, but as the City of Liverpool was so far away, I could not afford and was too young to travel to a game in my early years, although when they played in London or Birmingham I used to travel there with my older brother to watch the mighty blues play London based teams and have a day out at the match which was an adventure and cheaper because it was a lot nearer than Merseyside.

So what of Swansea City? Well the fans are passionate and like so many teams have the total respect of all Evertonians. Why? If only for the fact that they took four points off Liverpool last season, so taking the shine of their glory years, then nicking their manager – I did laugh at that appointment and still find it funny today.

What I would really like is for Cardiff to be in the Premiership as I could easily be lost for the whole weekend in a city that is a hidden gem and near ‘Gavin & ‘Stacey’ country and has a great array of pubs and is such a beautiful city. But Swansea, not as glamorous does have a lot to offer every Evertonian, but three points was always at the top of our list! Welsh clubs have found it very difficult over the years but it is quite amazing that Swansea (or Abertawe in Welsh) has managed to get into top flight football and staying there for a season is quite incredible and looks more likely as they now have a legend steering them this season.

The only thing I have on my mind writing this is not the football, not three points, not us moving up and STILL being above the Kopites, but that I could not be there and could not sample a pint of the finest Brains SA bitter, or Skull Attack as it is affectionately know and a lovely pint of bitter it is. I am sure the Blues who travelled down there would have had a lovely Welsh welcome and those overnighters will have struggled to get to the match after sampling the local brews and spending some sightseeing time in the local pubs clinking your beer glass shouting ‘lechyd da’….cheers/good health being the Scouse translation.