Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

" WE HAVE TO BE BEATING "

Sun Sep 23, 2012 3:15 pm

The likes of Crystal Palace, home and away, if we are to achieve automatic promotion, we have spent heavily in the transfer window and now we have the tag of being one of the favourites whether we like it or not.

Against Wolves Malky reverted to 4-4-2 and the positives were plainly obvious, the same formation against Leeds although the first half performance was not brilliant, it seems Malky give the players a half time roasting and got the reaction he wanted from them.

Against Millwall, again the first half performance was far from good but yet again in the second half we steam rolled them.

Then yesterday, I appreciate the injury to Maynard is a massive blow, but why did Malky go back to the 4-5-1 after gaining so much success in the previous 3 games ?

Helguson was isolated up top and I am in no doubt he is not the type of player to play that role, Bellamy did not get a look in and Tommy Smith had his worse performance in City shirt. I would like to see Malky dip into the loan market and bring in a target man someone like Kenwyne Jones, tall, strong and score goals.

I agree with Malky Mackay that we committed 'football suicide' yesterday afternoon but those who were there could see what was unfolding before our eyes and there were plenty of us shouting to the manager to change things before the second and third Palace goal came.

We went 2-0 up very much against the run of play within 15 mins and truthfully we should have been out of sight had Bellamy converted the chance in the 24th minute but why did we 'sit in' and allow Palace to come at us ?

We have got a midfield full of talent and I believe we are not using them to their full potential and that it is down to formation.

I felt Malky was to slow to react yesterday with his substitutions, we could see what was happening and what inevitably occurred.

We have got the strength and quality in depth to take the game to the opposition home and away and we can't just accept 'a bad day at the office', as that is 2 bad days in the first 7 games, Bristol and Palace, and that is ignoring the poor performance against Huddersfield on the opening day.

There are positives of course and I am sure Malky will look at the tactical shortcomings and not just the individual mistakes in yesterdays game.

That said we are on 13 points after 7 games played and teams who average 2 points from each game get promoted, so a win at home to Blackpool will put us on course with that particular stat.

Malky is a young manager still learning his trade and I believe he has the ability to get us promoted.

Re: " WE HAVE TO BE BEATING "

Sun Sep 23, 2012 3:18 pm

Carl any rumblings of a possible loan signing ?

Sun Sep 23, 2012 3:18 pm

I'm not getting all this clamour for a loan signing. We have plenty of forwards.

And why is everyone getting so worked up about 4-5-1? It's not 4-5-1 every game!

Sun Sep 23, 2012 3:27 pm

Cwmann_Bluebird wrote:I'm not getting all this clamour for a loan signing. We have plenty of forwards.

And why is everyone getting so worked up about 4-5-1? It's not 4-5-1 every game!

It has been 4-5-1 for the games where we have been shit though!

4-4-2 against Wolves, Leeds and Millwall, that's two strikers up top, one offering runs in behind the centre halves and the other striker complimenting him.

Last year Miller became a target by our fans and in my opinion it was down to the fact he was isolated and fans were getting frustrated at his lack of goals.

I think we have got the players also in the squad IF we play with two up top, if Malky is keen on using the one lone striker then defintiley we need the tall target man, which will also help when we play with two strikers also.

Sun Sep 23, 2012 3:29 pm

Bellamy was out of sorts and should of went off earlier for Noone who had little time to make an impact.
Smith was poor as was Whitts.Cant and wont win games if most of team off form.Palace deserved to win.We simply didn't create enough chances.

Sun Sep 23, 2012 3:32 pm

carlccfc wrote:
Cwmann_Bluebird wrote:I'm not getting all this clamour for a loan signing. We have plenty of forwards.

4-4-2 against Wolves, Leeds and Millwall, that's two strikers up top, one offering runs in behind the centre halves and the other striker complimenting him.

Last year Miller became a target by our fans and in my opinion it was down to the fact he was isolated and fans were getting frustrated at his lack of goals.

I think we have got the players also in the squad IF we play with two up top, if Malky is keen on using the one lone striker then defintiley we need the tall target man, which will also help when we play with two strikers also.

agree
it seems that this is obvious to everyone in the footballing world except the man who matters, malky,
hes a great guy but lacks the experience to get a team out of this league

Sun Sep 23, 2012 3:35 pm

BOWMAN wrote:Bellamy was out of sorts and should of went off earlier for Noone who had little time to make an impact.
Smith was poor as was Whitts.Cant and wont win games if most of team off form.Palace deserved to win.We simply didn't create enough chances.

whitts was poor because he was expected to perform a role he simply is not capable of doing
smith was very poor but still deserves to be in the side after doing so well since he arrived
palace definetly deserved to win,they simply wanted it more and has a fan that hurt me the most about yesterday

Sun Sep 23, 2012 3:38 pm

englishbluebird wrote:
BOWMAN wrote:Bellamy was out of sorts and should of went off earlier for Noone who had little time to make an impact.

whitts was poor because he was expected to perform a role he simply is not capable of doing
smith was very poor but still deserves to be in the side after doing so well since he arrived
palace definetly deserved to win,they simply wanted it more and has a fan that hurt me the most about yesterday

Agree :ayatollah:

Sun Sep 23, 2012 4:01 pm

Agree Carl we should be beating the likes of Palace particulary as we had a 2 goal lead, this 4 5 1 is not working and before long Helguson is going to get slated just like Miller. Also how long did it take to Noone on the pitch FFS.

Sun Sep 23, 2012 4:04 pm

Helgusson isin't going to play every game he's 35 FFS

Sun Sep 23, 2012 4:05 pm

I went to the game and believe me heider helguson gave it his all as usual but he simply is too small and unfortunatelly too old now to play the lone striker role
hes definetly going to be this seasons scapegoat sadly

Sun Sep 23, 2012 4:13 pm

Mr Moo Cow wrote:Carl any rumblings of a possible loan signing ?

This

Sun Sep 23, 2012 4:24 pm

Have to agree Carl, we should be beating the likes of palace or at least not losing after being 2-0 up. 3 points nearly in the bag and we come away with f__k all. If we have any aspirations lessons must be learned. Attack is the best form of defence!!
:ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Sun Sep 23, 2012 5:02 pm

tommo blue wrote:Agree Carl we should be beating the likes of Palace particulary as we had a 2 goal lead, this 4 5 1 is not working and before long Helguson is going to get slated just like Miller. Also how long did it take to Noone on the pitch FFS.

He was injured.

Sun Sep 23, 2012 6:34 pm

Crystal Palace have taken 10 from the last 12 points on offer, one more than us so I think saying an expected double
is stretching it. The problem yesterday we missed Mutch in the centre, he allows the widemen to stay wide and Whitts the Freedom, and Luxury of time, Cowie does not the complete balance and understanding were lost. 4-5-1 swtching to 4-3-3 will work providing you use one as a holding player to retain your widemen. Against Milwall 2nd half thats exactly what we did allowing Smith and Noon to attack from wide, resulting in creating the two goals and umpteen chances. From where I sat it looked nothing like a 4-4-2. yesterday we lost the quality of Mutch and lack of tacticle changes when we could all see it going tits up, yes! even at 2 goals to the good it needed changing.

Sun Sep 23, 2012 6:38 pm

Cwmann_Bluebird wrote:
tommo blue wrote:Agree Carl we should be beating the likes of Palace particulary as we had a 2 goal lead, this 4 5 1 is not working and before long Helguson is going to get slated just like Miller. Also how long did it take to Noone on the pitch FFS.

He was injured.

Who was injured ?

Sun Sep 23, 2012 6:44 pm

Agree with your assessment Carl. Was at yesterday's game, and 2-0 flattered us at HT. Fair enough result in the end, no complaints, however disappointing.

If Whittingham is played any deeper, he will be challenging Marshall for his position. Five goals in three games, and he is forced to play that deep. To be honest, Whitts looked fed up yesterday. Did his best, but obviously frustrated.

Smith had an off day, but he had been excellent previously.

Something is seriously wrong with Bellamy. Looked totally disorientated. Brushed aside at will by the Palace players. Missed a decent chance that would have made it 3-0. At best, he should be on the bench, and used as an impact sub. Just a passenger yesterday.

The Worzels and Palace had done their homework. A direct approach will beat us, as long as they have that bit of quality up front. Got away with it at Millwall, because they were poor in the final third. Most of our defenders struggle against anybody who has a bit of pace. Our midfield was awol for large periods yesterday.

Understandable that Maynard's injury has upset the players, it has upset all of us. Two tough away games in a few days is never easy.

The Malaysians seem to expect Premier League football for their money. On this season's evidence so far, they are not going to get it. Not saying I want him removed, but how long will they persevere with Malky? They have been ruthless in other ways!

Sun Sep 23, 2012 6:46 pm

Totally agree Carl. When I said this in a post yesterday I got shot down. Palace are a poor side. Malky needs to realise hh is not mobile enough to play up top on his own.

Sun Sep 23, 2012 6:54 pm

Why the fuk shall I go away and waste money on watching that crap again money don't grow on trees I work hard to earn my money why shud I waste it on goin away

Sun Sep 23, 2012 7:35 pm

Evening chaps, gotta say carl that i think you believe you are alot better than you really are. All this talk of going up and weshud be doing this, doing that etc is quite laughable. Why not take things one game at a time? Already you have been hammered at us wurzels and beaten at palace, seems to me you beat wolves the league was yours for the taking. This years Championship is possibly the hardest ever to get out of and i reckon you gotta take it easy on your gaffer as it a marathon not a sprint and some people think that cos you spent big it means you are going up already .

Sun Sep 23, 2012 7:49 pm

Mark my words - Palace will be a top 8 possibly play-off side this year. Freedman is quietly building a decent team on a limited budget. No shame in losing to them at all. They have been making steady progress over the last 2 years.

Sun Sep 23, 2012 8:22 pm

Carl loan signing or not? Is Malky looking at bringing one in? Not a bother if he ent.

Sun Sep 23, 2012 8:22 pm

Carl loan signing or not? Is Malky looking at bringing one in? Not a bother if he ent.

Mon Sep 24, 2012 10:25 am

Then yesterday, I appreciate the injury to Maynard is a massive blow, but why did Malky go back to the 4-5-1 after gaining so much success in the previous 3 games

That's his style and his nature and why we must get rid of him . Watching boring negative football is one thing , but that style of play is going to get you no-where in this day and age .

Mon Sep 24, 2012 10:58 am

carlccfc wrote:

We played more of a 4-3-3 reverting to a 4-5-1 against Millwall, as Helguson was kept on the bench and Maynard played the lone striker role, until he got injured and was replaced by Helguson!!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/19554200

Mon Sep 24, 2012 4:55 pm

Overthemoon wrote:
carlccfc wrote:

We played more of a 4-3-3 reverting to a 4-5-1 against Millwall, as Helguson was kept on the bench and Maynard played the lone striker role, until he got injured and was replaced by Helguson!!

Thats correct and if we had Mutch in the side it would work both home and away, you need at least one large forward in a 4-4-2 as was the case with Bothroyd being Jones's choice in that system. certainly was nothing like 4-4-2 at Milwall. A draw at Palace would have been a good result certainly not an away banker.

Mon Sep 24, 2012 5:12 pm

dannyblue wrote:
Overthemoon wrote:
carlccfc wrote:

Thats correct and if we had Mutch in the side it would work both home and away, you need at least one large forward in a 4-4-2 as was the case with Bothroyd being Jones's choice in that system. certainly was nothing like 4-4-2 at Milwall. A draw at Palace would have been a good result certainly not an away banker.

Having a taller man in a 4-4-2 isn't a necessity IMO, as long as the ball is kept on the deck, but we certainly didn't play a 4-4-2 at Millwall! :ayatollah:

Mon Sep 24, 2012 6:12 pm

Overthemoon wrote:
dannyblue wrote:
Overthemoon wrote:
carlccfc wrote:

Having a taller man in a 4-4-2 isn't a necessity IMO, as long as the ball is kept on the deck, but we certainly didn't play a 4-4-2 at Millwall! :ayatollah:

I agree but it does give you options and advantages and often gives the defenders more to think about, being tall does not mean you can't play it into feet. I really think the Managers favoured formation is a 4-3-3 adapting to a 4-5-1 if the game dictates such. "The squad is certainly set up that way", in my opinion.

Mon Sep 24, 2012 6:16 pm

dannyblue wrote:
Overthemoon wrote:
dannyblue wrote:
Overthemoon wrote:
carlccfc wrote:

I agree but it does give you options and advantages and often gives the defenders more to think about, being tall does not mean you can't play it into feet. I really think the Managers favoured formation is a 4-3-3 adapting to a 4-5-1 if the game dictates such. "The squad is certainly set up that way", in my opinion.

I'd like Malky to persevere with the 4-4-2 like we played against Wolves & Leeds tbh, although this formation won't be any good against certain other teams in the league and I suspect that he may prefer a 4-5-1 against Blackpool this weekend, especially with Maynard out injured!

Mon Sep 24, 2012 6:29 pm

I said this after Huddersfield Carl but i got shot down. Right team wrong formation and wrong tactics. Malky is learning but for us to survive he needs to learn faster.