Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

McNaughton believes with the amount of talent at the club

Sat Sep 22, 2012 10:04 pm

KEVIN MCNAUGHTON believes the pressure is off Craig Bellamy this season and Cardiff City could be set to reap the benefits.

McNaughton was with Bellamy the first time the Wales international joined the Bluebirds two seasons ago on loan from Manchester City.

This time the 33-year-old has signed a two-year contract at his hometown club and, after recovering from a calf tear, has been used sparingly by manager Malky Mackay.

But Bellamy will travel to Selhurst Park for Cardiff’s Championship clash with Crystal Palace today although he might have to make do with a place on the bench.

Full-back McNaughton believes with the amount of talent at the club now Bellamy does not have the same pressure on him as before.

“He seems more relaxed, there was a lot of expectation on him the first time he came,” said McNaughton.

“He knows what to expect this time and I think he is going to enjoy it a bit more as well.

“Last time he came he was coming off the back of a great season at Manchester City. He was one of the best players in the Premier League.

“With that much expectation on him, I wouldn't say he found it difficult, but this time, with the size of the squad we have, there is not now the pressure on him to do it week in and week out.”

The Bluebirds head to south London today in confident mood after successive wins over Wolves, Leeds and Millwall.

McNaughton said there was a ‘high’ in the Bluebirds’ dressing room right now, but he knows, Dougie Freedman’s Eagles, will be out to spoil that today.

“We have just had the edge over Palace over the last few seasons,” added McNaughton.

“But it’s a tough play to go. The six years I’ve been at Cardiff they’ve always been tough encounters whether it’s away or at home.

“I’m not expecting anything different this time around.”

Read More http://www.walesonline.co.uk/footballna ... z27ErHTc5w