Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

" Malky Mackay slams players "

Sat Sep 22, 2012 6:38 pm

CARDIFF CITY boss Malky Mackay said his side had committed football suicide by allowing Crystal Palace to battle back to victory despite trailing by two goals at half-time.

Despite leading 2-0 at the break via goals from Aron Gunnarsson and Don Cowie , a second-half hat-trick from Palace striker Glenn Murray, saw Cardiff lose 3-2 and suffer their second defeat of the Championship season.
Two of the Eagles' goals came via the penalty spot, but Mackay said he had little problem with the referee's decisions, putting the blame for the spot-kicks firmly on the shoulders of his players.
"We committed suicide really by gifting Crystal Palace two penalties," said Mackay.
"That is exactly what happened. I don't need to look too far to see what happened. “The first one , a player has raised his arms during a free-kick and given it away and the third one Heidar Helguson has come out and made a rash challenge on the edge of the box. That's penalty number two.
"I don't have any qualms about them. Maybe the second one was on the line or just outside, There's a case for either.
"As for their second goal I thought it was bit fortuitous as their player's shot has had a huge deflection. David Marshall has palmed it onto Matt Connolly and it's gone in the net. It was a bit calamitous and it cost us the game.
"We felt fairly comfortable at half-time. We were two goals up and Craig Bellamy had a chance he probably should have scored to make it three.
“He scores that nine times out of ten. When you give two penalties to a team like that though you do deserve to be punished."
Cardiff currently sixth in the Championship table, three points behind new leaders Brighton, and despite the defeat at Selhurst park, the Cardiff boss declared himself reasonably satisfied with his side's start to the campaign.
"I'm disappointed, if we had not given the two penalties we are sitting near the top of the table. But there's no need to overreact. We know exactly where we went wrong," added Mackay.
"We scored two good goals, we took our chances, but you give yourself a mountain to climb when you gift two goals, we can't legislate for that.
"But I've got a great group of boys there. We are three points off the top at this point. They are a fantastic group and we don't have to look too hard why we were beaten."
Palace manager Dougie Freedman was delighted by the fight-back, commenting: "That's the best fight-back I've had as a manager. We showed character and energy and in the end I thought it was the correct result. We played very well."

Read More http://www.walesonline.co.uk/footballna ... z27E0zZKaH

Re: Malky Mackay slams players

Sat Sep 22, 2012 6:50 pm

How about he says look guys i would rather you carry on playing football going forward at 2-0 up because 9 times out of ten the other team always score vs us , atleast if we go forward we have a chance of scoring another, but no he says we scored two lets sit back for the rest of the game on are box as normal after taking a lead and there goal/goals always come sooner or later in most games while we sit back stats/results prove this, only today they put there chances away so his excuses do not cut any ice with some fans tbh this take the lead sit back crap was always going to bite back one game and today showed how crap we are at sitting back when a team takes there chances but the funny thing is ive seen us so many times get away with it, today TWO yes TWO shots on target. The defensive football is getting beyond a joke :roll:

Sat Sep 22, 2012 7:46 pm

bluebird1977 wrote:How about he says look guys i would rather you carry on playing football going forward at 2-0 up because 9 times out of ten the other team always score vs us , atleast if we go forward we have a chance of scoring another, but no he says we scored two lets sit back for the rest of the game on are box as normal after taking a lead and there goal/goals always come sooner or later in most games while we sit back stats/results prove this, only today they put there chances away so his excuses do not cut any ice with some fans tbh this take the lead sit back crap was always going to bite back one game and today showed how crap we are at sitting back when a team takes there chances but the funny thing is ive seen us so many times get away with it, today TWO yes TWO shots on target. The defensive football is getting beyond a joke :roll:

we do look better playing 442 seem to handle other teams attacking us a lot better, even when they are looking for goals leeds is good exsample they got one but we could have had 3 more after that, and leeds better than palace, so playing 451 as been proved before, doesnt really suite our team far to many attacking players to defend properly! rather lose playing to our strengths than lose because we sat back and allowed situation to arise. :D

Re: " Malky Mackay slams players "

Sat Sep 22, 2012 8:04 pm

Malky's slamming the players, but the majority of them are now his own players that he's brought in. With the dossier he requests for every player he signs, you would think the players Malky has brought in would have the character and mental strength to not throw away a 2 goal lead like this. Hopefully this is just a one off and we will learn from all the mistakes made today. Still a lot of work ahead and I did a post on deadline day saying we would still struggle until we sort our depth in defence out, so I am still expecting some good performances and some inconsistantly bad performances until we have the strength in depth in all areas of the squad as this is the only thing that will bring us consistancy.

Sat Sep 22, 2012 8:05 pm

bluebird1977 wrote:How about he says look guys i would rather you carry on playing football going forward at 2-0 up because 9 times out of ten the other team always score vs us , atleast if we go forward we have a chance of scoring another, but no he says we scored two lets sit back for the rest of the game on are box as normal after taking a lead and there goal/goals always come sooner or later in most games while we sit back stats/results prove this, only today they put there chances away so his excuses do not cut any ice with some fans tbh this take the lead sit back crap was always going to bite back one game and today showed how crap we are at sitting back when a team takes there chances but the funny thing is ive seen us so many times get away with it, today TWO yes TWO shots on target. The defensive football is getting beyond a joke :roll:

You are bang on 77.

I don't get it. GameS like this are made to rattle up the goal difference, not go into a defensive shell.

Sat Sep 22, 2012 9:29 pm

He has to blame himself today, he really does! Yeah we made individual errors but he was too stubborn to make substitutes when they were needed, starting Helguson is really getting on my f*cking nerves

Sat Sep 22, 2012 9:54 pm

We are lucky no-one has done a QPR and run away with the league because every team has lost one.
I think Tommy Smith and Helguson are very good players but their not capable of playing 46 games.. the idea of depth is switching around.
We have a 1-2 million striker on the bench who is fired up and ready to go..
Malky should of made a change at half time.. it was obvious we took 2 goals when the chances came and should of changed it around as I never seen us really take the game to them.
Some players looked tired today.. but the first mistake was the penalty which gave them the confidence.
I was dissapointed by our fans who never urged the players on after losing a goal.

Next week is a tough game and we need to work hard on the training ground and hopefully continue with our home form.

Sat Sep 22, 2012 11:32 pm

Dando, its difficult to urge on the players when they are throwing the game away in front of our eyes. The second half was a horror show. Too tired to reason tonight, not been home long, but we should never have lost that game.

Sun Sep 23, 2012 9:16 am

Hudson as captain has to take some blame too, for some reason we do sit back and we do so more when Hudson is captain the best form of defence is attack we do this to often under so many managers as I was not confident at 2 up this has happened so often to us we been more than 2 up lost points 3 up even 4 up so Hudson been there before so he needs to shout at his players attack ffs as it will make his life easier too.

I would have been disapointed with a 2-2 but to lose it, nothing worse than having a good lead and losing it gutting and Malky should give the players hell so this doesnt happen again.. please

Sun Sep 23, 2012 9:49 am

valleyrambill wrote:Hudson as captain has to take some blame too, for some reason we do sit back and we do so more when Hudson is captain the best form of defence is attack we do this to often under so many managers as I was not confident at 2 up this has happened so often to us we been more than 2 up lost points 3 up even 4 up so Hudson been there before so he needs to shout at his players attack ffs as it will make his life easier too.

I would have been disapointed with a 2-2 but to lose it, nothing worse than having a good lead and losing it gutting and Malky should give the players hell so this doesnt happen again.. please

You say hudson has to take blame and should tell them to attack but we never did attack bar the two shots on goal and both went in thats all we done, i can not remember there keeper making a save tbh, our two goals was off mistakes from there side or deflections that made the ball run to one of our players to hit home, bellers looked like some non league winger who missed a sitter from 7yards which went over the stand, bar that we done nothing to have a go it was sit back sit back same old MM and 9/10 times they always score only yesterday the other team took there chances unlike other teams when we ride the luck super thin otherwise we would be sat here now with lots of less points if other teams took there chances like palace yesterday :ayatollah:

Sun Sep 23, 2012 10:26 pm

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/19692330

Sun Sep 23, 2012 10:40 pm

crunch time is to come. the two fixtures will really show if we do have what it takes. keeping blackpool quiet will be a tough task.

Sun Sep 23, 2012 11:30 pm

Blackwood_Bluebird wrote:crunch time is to come. the two fixtures will really show if we do have what it takes. keeping blackpool quiet will be a tough task.

I agree. I thought when the fixtures first came out that the Blackpool game was going to be tough, closely followed by Brum.

If we are to "move on", then its got to be six points from those games. Lets see how good we really are!