Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

LOSING MAYNARD WILL BE A BIGGER BLOW THAN WE THINK!

Thu Sep 20, 2012 8:09 pm

The loss of Nicky Maynard for most of the season will be a bigger blow than we actually think..

This is my personal opinion obviously but in the 3 appearances he has made for us, even though he hasnt stuck the ball in the net, what he has contributed has lead to a number of goals including both v Leeds.

his running and ability to find space and his pace all lead to defenders giving away free kicks and penalties. his link up play with other players is also excellent, intelligent player.

so who can offer the same presence??

1/ Bellamy, the ideal candidate with pace, skill and good link up play, but theres no way he will be able to play as many games as Maynard would.

2/ Velikonja, too raw in my opinion at the moment and will take time to get used to the physicality and pace of the british game.

3/ Helgueson, can link up play well, good in the air, but at 34 and lacking pace, he wont be driving into the box drawing the foul or making runs into spaces.

4/ Mason, would like to think he can be the man to step up, lacks a little strength, but good movement and a young. (although i thought he looked a little disinterested when he came on as a sub recently)

5/ tommy smith, has been impressive in the role that he has currently been given, can also play upfront, but would moving him there disrupt his current good form.

thoughts?

Re: LOSING MAYNARD WILL BE A BIGGER BLOW THAN WE THINK!

Thu Sep 20, 2012 8:12 pm

Stop that. Far too gloomy and I think you underestimate the ability of some of our players. Give it a few games without Maynard and let's talk about it then.

Thu Sep 20, 2012 8:12 pm

the whole reason why i aint so worried is that this year we have a squad, not just a team! one player gets injured 3 players can step in with ease!... and lets not forget that 2 years ago Bellamy was at his best when played central, and tbh the whole 'he cant play 2 games in a week' thing is bollux cos he done just that in the Olympics, and even if he cant play 2 games a week you still got Velikonja and arguably our best player last season Mason! :ayatollah:

Thu Sep 20, 2012 8:37 pm

Nedd Glas wrote:Stop that. Far too gloomy and I think you underestimate the ability of some of our players. Give it a few games without Maynard and let's talk about it then.

as i said, just my personal opinion. im not a doom and gloom type, and i hope that we can continue in the manner that we have. whoever plays uptop for us.

Thu Sep 20, 2012 8:39 pm

Etien and mason will end up being our main 2 by Jan.

Thu Sep 20, 2012 8:42 pm

I honestly think that losing Helgusson would be a bigger blow. I think either Tommy Smith, Etien, Bellamy or Mason could replace Maynard. However Helgusson offers something different to any of those players and will be an important player for us this season. It's a big blow losing Maynard however I believe we do have adequate replacements for him.

Thu Sep 20, 2012 8:53 pm

Its a massive blow. No matter how much positive spin we put on it! Loosing maynard is a big blow. I know we got a good squad with depth, but where bound to miss a player of maynards calibre.

Thu Sep 20, 2012 8:54 pm

Stavross wrote:I honestly think that losing Helgusson would be a bigger blow. I think either Tommy Smith, Etien, Bellamy or Mason could replace Maynard. However Helgusson offers something different to any of those players and will be an important player for us this season. It's a big blow losing Maynard however I believe we do have adequate replacements for him.

agree.excellent post
mason is a class act and will score for fun in the championship, i honestly believe that