Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Anyone experienced DOMS after weightlifting?

Thu Sep 20, 2012 3:47 pm

Anyone here experienced DOMS after weightlifting?

Was doing my legs workout (extensions, raises, squats, then incline treadmill warm down) and now 2 days later I can barely walk.

I had this before in my arms after a serious workout but this is so much more annoying because obviously you use your legs more.

Anyone else had this? Dread to think what DOMS in the back is like after a deadlifting session.

Re: Anyone experienced DOMS after weightlifting?

Thu Sep 20, 2012 4:02 pm

DOMS are very common and nothing to worry about. I remember my first deadlifitng and squating session was a nightmare. Could barely get down the stairs. The best way to get rid of them however is to fight through the pain. Your body isn't used to using these muscles (hence the pain). Once your muscles repair they become stronger and the pain goes away. I introduced a friend to the gym recently and he had a big problem with DOMS and wanted to stop. I persuaded him to keep going and after he'd recovered from the initial pain he never got it again. Just keep fighting through.

Thu Sep 20, 2012 4:47 pm

MyNameIsAled wrote:DOMS are very common and nothing to worry about. I remember my first deadlifitng and squating session was a nightmare. Could barely get down the stairs. The best way to get rid of them however is to fight through the pain. Your body isn't used to using these muscles (hence the pain). Once your muscles repair they become stronger and the pain goes away. I introduced a friend to the gym recently and he had a big problem with DOMS and wanted to stop. I persuaded him to keep going and after he'd recovered from the initial pain he never got it again. Just keep fighting through.

Cheers for the advice mate. :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Thu Sep 20, 2012 5:21 pm

You may want to try and up your protein intake . The soreness is probably the micro-tears in the muscles screaming out for protein to help repair them .

Thu Sep 20, 2012 5:31 pm

Quick question, I get a large amount of pain in my forearms when I'm doing Biceps and its preventing me for doing as many sets as I would like. Any advice?

Thu Sep 20, 2012 5:51 pm

I get them after a full 90 minutes on the football pitch im usually stiff the next day, run a hell of alot though at a fast pace,
but in whatever it is you do, once you do the same work out couple of time you will have adapted,

I like the feeling :lol: you know your legs have benifited from the work out.
But then again im not normal

Thu Sep 20, 2012 6:24 pm

Creatine and protein supps worked for me after heavy legs. (hurts worst walking down stairs!) and then swimming/light cardio for the soreness.

EZ bar/pull ups/cable machine instead of dumbells for the forearms. Or build forearms with reverse barbell curl. Hurts like f88k for a while mind!

Thu Sep 20, 2012 6:56 pm

also if your finding your biceps are sore?
it prob wont resolute the problem by changing the curl method,

maybe try for 3 weeks dropping down to heavy 6 rep sets less strain from repetition, or 4-6 rep slow raise pull ups holding so you lift up in 3 motions hold. lift back down in 3 motions

Thu Sep 20, 2012 7:07 pm

Cheers for all the advice guys. :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Using an EZ curl bar for curls and a tricep bar for tricep extensions.

Then dumbells for hammer curls and raises as well as front raises.

I have had a bit of problems with pain in my elbow area after starting curls but its gradually getting better.

Hopefully the same happens with legs otherwise I'm going to have to spend another 20 minutes trying to get off the bloody toilet seat. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Thu Sep 20, 2012 7:08 pm

norms75 wrote:You may want to try and up your protein intake . The soreness is probably the micro-tears in the muscles screaming out for protein to help repair them .

Cheers. Have been having shakes and eating chicken and grilling burgers to get some protein in and help the recovery. :ayatollah: