Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

were not as big as we think we are.

Thu Sep 20, 2012 7:57 am

I for one will argue with anybody when it comes to the city, but it must be said we aint that big of a club after all, we get OK home gates, and so we should we have a population of around 861,400, with-in cardiff and the valleys im sure i will be corrected if im wrong on that.

Anyway...

the last time we sold out an away game was prob reading and yes we did take the one end behind the goal taking about 4,500. not to far to go nice family club, o yea and we cant take um serious as they sing sat down :lol: :lol: and hardly any trouble is this what ppl look for these days,??

palace away on the weekend we should be taking 2,000 plus but i cant see it nw, as tickets sales are poor . y is this

money time of the year i.e xmas coming up,

take dirty leeds for a instance they sell out every away game up and down the country yet they only get the same home average as us these days. Yes they have history but they aint made any for years...

Re: were not as big as we think we are.

Thu Sep 20, 2012 8:01 am

i dont get your point?

who thinks we are massive then?

Thu Sep 20, 2012 8:03 am

Beasty1988 wrote:I for one will argue with anybody when it comes to the city, but it must be said we aint that big of a club after all, we get OK home gates, and so we should we have a population of around 861,400, with-in cardiff and the valleys im sure i will be corrected if im wrong on that.

Anyway...

the last time we sold out an away game was prob reading and yes we did take the one end behind the goal taking about 4,500. not to far to go nice family club, o yea and we cant take um serious as they sing sat down :lol: :lol: and hardly any trouble is this what ppl look for these days,??

palace away on the weekend we should be taking 2,000 plus but i cant see it nw, as tickets sales are poor . y is this

money time of the year i.e xmas coming up,

take dirty leeds for a instance they sell out every away game up and down the country yet they only get the same home average as us these days. Yes they have history but they aint made any for years...

I think we get decent crowds considering we're never been in the pl. Leeds have a good history, so you'd expect good support from all over the country. You only had to look at ther flags last weekend to see Surrey whites etc. if we got to the pl. we'd get 30 odd no problem

Thu Sep 20, 2012 8:04 am

paulh_85 wrote:i dont get your point?

who thinks we are massive evey cardiff fan i no, were no bigger than blackpool. they take more away than us these days.

Thu Sep 20, 2012 8:08 am

Beasty1988 wrote:

who thinks we are massive evey cardiff fan i no, were no bigger than blackpool. they take more away than us these days.

Looking for attention are you? What a stupid comment to make. Blackpool have terrible attendances

Thu Sep 20, 2012 8:22 am

Beasty1988 wrote:

so your only assement on what makes a big club is how many fans they take away?

our fans have further to travel than most

Thu Sep 20, 2012 8:25 am

For a club like Leeds, the distance they have to travel on average for an away game is fare less.

Cardiff and Swansea will have less away following purely for the distances involved.

Look at Bristol away - only 1 hour or so away and we sell out. If more games were in that distance, we would have a bigger away following.

Thu Sep 20, 2012 8:38 am

My top 5 biggest clubs:
1 real madrid
2 manchester united
3 barcelona
4 bayern munich
5 cardiff city
I don't agree that we are bigger than barcelona as you can see by my list. Beat palace and blackpool and I think we have a good shout of taking the number 3 spot off them.

Thu Sep 20, 2012 8:39 am

Bluebird_87 wrote:
Beasty1988 wrote:

Looking for attention are you? What a stupid comment to make. Blackpool have terrible attendances

away im on about mate.

and as for leeds yes they do have a few local clubs, but they got bristol away in two weeks sold out, and if they have a trip to london that would be sold out, london to leeds is more or less the same distance as cardiff to london.

i no i dont make the best of points and i muddle my words up or yea and cant spell for shit :lol: but im sure you no what i mean :!:

Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:06 am

Beasty1988 wrote:
Bluebird_87 wrote:
Beasty1988 wrote:

away im on about mate.

and as for leeds yes they do have a few local clubs, but they got bristol away in two weeks sold out, and if they have a trip to london that would be sold out, london to leeds is more or less the same distance as cardiff to london.

i no i dont make the best of points and i muddle my words up or yea and cant spell for shit :lol: but im sure you no what i mean :!:

Blackpool don't mate trust me, my
Cousin is a leicester fan and he sent me a picture of them when they come down. Must have been about 150 tops.

Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:27 am

A 3/4 hour trip is an exception for Leeds rather than the rule.

Whereas for us, it's the rule rather than the exception.

It's that simple.

Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:36 am

Size wise we are a decent size club, not big and not small, we are on a par with Leicester City/Nottingham Forest/Middlesborough,
Big clubs are those who pull 38,000 to 41,000 regularly with out much success such as Everton / Newcastle / Sunderland
for example :ayatollah: :old: :ayatollah:

Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:42 am

Don't know any City fan who thinks we're massive - not yet anyway! People forget as well that you have to be a season ticket holder or away member to watch us away and I doubt that's the case for a lot of other clubs in the Championship.

We've also had loads of restrictions (bubbles, rv points etc) to contend with for years. As they are slowly removed, our away support will increase.

And the biggest factor of all is if we finally ever get into the PL - our away support will double overnight and even if we go back down again, there will be new fans who like the away experience and continue going regularly etc etc.

Thu Sep 20, 2012 10:03 am

comparing us to leeds is ridiculous,they have a worldwide fan base and come from all over to attend home and away games
i probably know more leeds fans(that attend games) than cardiff in caerphilly

Thu Sep 20, 2012 10:45 am

I'd say we were bigger than Boro. Their crowds are pathetic.

Thu Sep 20, 2012 11:08 am

Barry Chuckle wrote:I'd say we were bigger than Boro. Their crowds are pathetic.

All other clubs mentioned so far, have had top flight football in relatively recent years.
I still feel we are bigger than some in the prem.
Even in Wales, we are the best supported club in any sport. ;)
If we were in the prem, I know we would have the best Welsh following away too. :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Thu Sep 20, 2012 11:22 am

llanrumney'boi wrote:My top 5 biggest clubs:
1 real madrid
2 manchester united
3 barcelona
4 bayern munich
5 cardiff city
I don't agree that we are bigger than barcelona as you can see by my list. Beat palace and blackpool and I think we have a good shout of taking the number 3 spot off them.

Haha! Love it!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Thu Sep 20, 2012 1:17 pm

Cardiff City have the Potential demigraphicaly to be as large as one of the glasgow sides. It should not be about numbers,but the quality of our fans ,some of whom have shown thayer true colour by accepting any colour.

Thu Sep 20, 2012 3:29 pm

Just don't forget that we're one of the only clubs in the Championship to not have PL experience. Comparing us to Leeds, they spent years and years as one of the World's biggest clubs, so they have fans all over the country, a big section of that being in South Wales. So their fans on average don't have to travel hundreds of miles for every away game like ours.

But an average of 22,000 is fantastic home support for a club like us with not much of a recent history, other than a few cup finals

Thu Sep 20, 2012 3:39 pm

I don't know any City fan who thinks we are big...

Thu Sep 20, 2012 3:49 pm

I agree, thephrase sleeping giant use to be used a lot,spent 10 mil. on quality players and still can't sell out.We'd have fans hanging from the rafters if we'd spent that sort of money in the 70,s.Even crud signings like Ronnie Moore would put 2 thousand on the gate.It did only cost 50p to get inback then.Cant be bothered writing anymore as it's making my head hurt

Thu Sep 20, 2012 4:16 pm

Why are we expected to have full attendances and sell out away allocations? We've been in this league for ten years now, its the same sights every time, there's no point travelling over and over again, if we made ourselves a stable Premiership club then we'd have more of a chance of selling allocations. We aren't as big no but we have the potential to be.

Thu Sep 20, 2012 4:17 pm

Ramsgateblue wrote:Cardiff City have the Potential demigraphicaly to be as large as one of the glasgow sides. It should not be about numbers,but the quality of our fans ,some of whom have shown thayer true colour by accepting any colour.

Not many have accepted it, just have to put up with it.

Other fans in another club, (given the same circumstances) would be the same. :dontknow:

Thu Sep 20, 2012 4:25 pm

id rather see red shirts than empty seats

Thu Sep 20, 2012 4:33 pm

I thought we recently sold out away to Bristol?

And our league home attendances up with the highest in the league?

Thu Sep 20, 2012 4:47 pm

We have some of the biggest crowds in the Championship bigger than teams who have been to the premiership. What more could you ask for at this point?

Thu Sep 20, 2012 5:26 pm

Beasty1988 wrote:

we're a lot bigger then blackpool but you're right, we are not massive. i've never heard a city fan say we are.

Thu Sep 20, 2012 5:31 pm

[quote="Beasty1988"]I for one will argue with anybody when it comes to the city, but it must be said we aint that big of a club after all, we get OK home gates, and so we should we have a population of around 861,400,

Andmost of that population are black or somali practically now