Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Maynard's penalty

Mon Sep 17, 2012 12:43 pm

I've watched it several times and I'm still not sure if Maynard intentionally allowed the ball to run past him so he could turn at goal, or if he accidentally missed the ball when he went to control it. Obviously, it was a clever bit of play getting his body between the ball and Leeds defender and then going down as soon as there was contact to get the penalty. But when the ball was played into Maynard, I was expecting to see him control the ball and hold it up to wait for someone to lay it off to. To me, it looked like Maynard tried controlling the ball, but he missed it and was then fortunately able to turn, chase the loose ball and beat the Leeds defender to it to win the penalty. What do you all think? Was Maynard's play intentional to win that penalty or not? It seemed to deceive the Leeds defender, so it might have been Maynard trying something different to create the penalty?

Re: Maynard's penalty

Mon Sep 17, 2012 12:49 pm

Tonteg Bluebird wrote:I've watched it several times and I'm still not sure if Maynard intentionally allowed the ball to run past him so he could turn at goal, or if he accidentally missed the ball when he went to control it. Obviously, it was a clever bit of play getting his body between the ball and Leeds defender and then going down as soon as there was contact to get the penalty. But when the ball was played into Maynard, I was expecting to see him control the ball and hold it up to wait for someone to lay it off to. To me, it looked like Maynard tried controlling the ball, but he missed it and was then fortunately able to turn, chase the loose ball and beat the Leeds defender to it to win the penalty. What do you all think? Was Maynard's play intentional to win that penalty or not? It seemed to deceive the Leeds defender, so it might have been Maynard trying something different to create the penalty?

It was intentional. Its what a good striker should be able to do, turn the player and force him to concede a foul