Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

AN INTERESTING FACT ABOUT MAN CITY

Mon Sep 17, 2012 10:44 am

just heard them saying on Talksport, tomorrow man City play Real Madrid at the Bernabeu stadium, but fourteen years ago to the day they played away at Macclesfield in a dividon two League game, in front of a few thousand fans, man City scraped a win with an eighty sixth minute goal. :o

Re: AN INTERESTING FACT ABOUT MAN CITY

Mon Sep 17, 2012 10:51 am

BigGwynram wrote:just heard them saying on Talksport, tomorrow man City play Real Madrid at the Bernabeu stadium, but fourteen years ago to the day they played away at Macclesfield in a dividon two League game, in front of a few thousand fans, man City scraped a win with an eighty sixth minute goal. :o

Gwyn, i suppose you could say they've moved on a bit from those days :D

Mon Sep 17, 2012 10:54 am

cityone wrote:
BigGwynram wrote:just heard them saying on Talksport, tomorrow man City play Real Madrid at the Bernabeu stadium, but fourteen years ago to the day they played away at Macclesfield in a dividon two League game, in front of a few thousand fans, man City scraped a win with an eighty sixth minute goal. :o

Gwyn, i suppose you could say they've moved on a bit from those days :D

Look at us now, compared to 14 years ago, too. I'm very happy with our transformation - and we haven't finished yet!

Wed Sep 19, 2012 8:32 pm

Gwyn

You are quite right in pointing out how far Man City`s fortunes on the pitch had fallen by that season 1998/9, which was the one where they started their upward climb again by winning the 2nd division play off final.

But Talksport really got their facts wrong on this one - wrong date , wrong opposition and wrong venue (therefore wrong crowd as well). They did get the fact right that it was a draw. so 1 out of 5 for them :roll:

They got the date wrong by a day (not too bad) , but they didn`t play Macclesfield (it was Gillingham who they then went on to beat in the play-off final) , and it wasn`t away but at Maine Road where they had huge attendances for their games that season.

Then again , Talksport are not known for letting facts get in the way of a good story :D

Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:29 am

I like Man City - loyal supporters. Massive crowds even when in the third tier.

Thu Sep 20, 2012 10:53 am

They didn't have to sell out their traditional home strip either.

Thu Sep 20, 2012 10:59 am

loosecannon wrote:They didn't have to sell out their traditional home strip either.

Very true.

Thu Sep 20, 2012 11:01 am

I have allot of respect to their loyal fans, they're proper fans unlike those arrogant plastic ones from Man U. Much rather them win the prem than the plastics united.

Thu Sep 20, 2012 12:32 pm

ironically its not that interesting at all :lol: