Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

ANY FANS HERE REMEMBER THE TEAM FROM 1971?

Sun Sep 16, 2012 6:43 pm

since i first watched city in 1975 i think this is citys greatest team since they were in the first division back in the 20s and late 50s early 60s ...... is there anyone out there that watched the team in 71 and how was that team compared to what we have now! .... my son yesterday turned to me and said "ive never been this excited before dad watching cardiff play" ... and i thought to myself ..... neither have i!

Re: ANY FANS HERE REMEMBER THE TEAM FROM 1971?

Sun Sep 16, 2012 7:05 pm

I Rremember it well. The current squad is stronger I think. Gary bell from the 1970/71 team would definitely get in at left back instead of Taylor and I'd take any one of Toshack, Clarke or Warboys ahead of Helgusson. But terrific midfield players like Gibson,King and Jones would have their work cut out to get in. Either Harris or Phillips might get in in defence.

Sun Sep 16, 2012 7:15 pm

Gibson would be first choice midfielder today. Toshack would pip Helguson. Murray would not make the bench.

Sun Sep 16, 2012 7:15 pm

Nemo wrote:I Rremember it well. The current squad is stronger I think. Gary bell from the 1970/71 team would definitely get in at left back instead of Taylor and I'd take any one of Toshack, Clarke or Warboys ahead of Helgusson. But terrific midfield players like Gibson,King and Jones would have their work cut out to get in. Either Harris or Phillips might get in in defence.

thanks for answering .... was that team the best you`ve known?

Sun Sep 16, 2012 7:26 pm

AHERNE wrote:
Nemo wrote:I Rremember it well. The current squad is stronger I think. Gary bell from the 1970/71 team would definitely get in at left back instead of Taylor and I'd take any one of Toshack, Clarke or Warboys ahead of Helgusson. But terrific midfield players like Gibson,King and Jones would have their work cut out to get in. Either Harris or Phillips might get in in defence.

It was certainly the most successful at Div 2 ( Championship) level but not my favourite one to watch. Jimmy Andrews 1975/76 promotion team with Willie Anderson , Alston ,Evans and others were pretty good as was Len Ashurst's promotion team which included the ecxellent Bennet brothers. You probably saw both those sides if you started in 75.

Sun Sep 16, 2012 7:33 pm

AHERNE wrote:since i first watched city in 1975 i think this is citys greatest team since they were in the first division back in the 20s and late 50s early 60s ...... is there anyone out there that watched the team in 71 and how was that team compared to what we have now! .... my son yesterday turned to me and said "ive never been this excited before dad watching cardiff play" ... and i thought to myself ..... neither have i!

Eadie, carver, bell, Murray, Harris,Sutton, Jones, lea, Clark, toshack, king. Very good side, hard to compare

Sun Sep 16, 2012 7:38 pm

Nemo wrote:
AHERNE wrote:

It was certainly the most successful at Div 2 ( Championship) level but not my favourite one to watch. Jimmy Andrews 1975/76 promotion team with Willie Anderson , Alston ,Evans and others were pretty good as was Len Ashurst's promotion team which included the ecxellent Bennet brothers. You probably saw both those sides if you started in 75.

im so glad you mentioned that 1975/76 team because an uncle of mine took me to see them 4 times that season , which was my first ever games [chester, southend, servette and the big one hereford] and i found it very exciting, but i was only 9 then! ... i was so gutted yesterday when jimmy was snubbed ... so glad thats going to put right! :ayatollah: cheers!

Sun Sep 16, 2012 7:44 pm

That was a great time to watch the City. All league games were pay on the day so you'd get there early and queue at the turnstiles.

I used to stand at the bottom of the old Grange end or on the half way line on the Bob Bank. Only grass on the pitch was in the corners.

The one similar thing about those days and Malky's sides is that they never, ever gave in.

It was a totally different game then. Don't think any of that side would stay on the pitch these days. I loved Ian Gibson - would go thru' a brick wall to get the ball. Ronnie Bird on the wing, Leighton Phillips, Mel Sutton, Gary Bell, Toshack, Clark up front

We also had Bobby Woodruff who had a huge throw. Not far off the back post - pretty sure he'd make Gunnarson look tame. Seem to recall he was in a MOTD BBC final for the longest throw and he came second behind Hutchinson of Chelsea

Sun Sep 16, 2012 7:48 pm

71 was great, but I think Rick Wright's time was great, a team of real people and a great couple of seasons.

Sun Sep 16, 2012 7:50 pm

bopman wrote:That was a great time to watch the City. All league games were pay on the day so you'd get there early and queue at the turnstiles.

I used to stand at the bottom of the old Grange end or on the half way line on the Bob Bank. Only grass on the pitch was in the corners.

The one similar thing about those days and Malky's sides is that they never, ever gave in.

It was a totally different game then. Don't think any of that side would stay on the pitch these days. I loved Ian Gibson - would go thru' a brick wall to get the ball. Ronnie Bird on the wing, Leighton Phillips, Mel Sutton, Gary Bell, Toshack, Clark up front

We also had Bobby Woodruff who had a huge throw. Not far off the back post - pretty sure he'd make Gunnarson look tame. Seem to recall he was in a MOTD BBC final for the longest throw and he came second behind Hutchinson of Chelsea

cheers bopman ... im going to do my home work on gibson tomorrow! ... wish id been around to have seen for myself ... id loved to have watched city in 1924 too! ... standing on a grass bank with the smell of piss apparently! :ayatollah:

Sun Sep 16, 2012 7:52 pm

wasn't it Gibson who had the big throw? I was 10, Don Murray was my favourite - used to be on the Bob Bank by the halfway line, unless Dad felt like treating us to a spot of luxury when we'd go in the Canton Stand

City would have a corner, Don Murray would be stood on the halfway line with the oppostition no 9 eyeing him up for his next poleaxing :ayatollah: - none of this modern rubbish, he hated going over the halfway line! Absolute rock of a centre half, not sure if it was because I was so young and impressionable, but Don Murray was our Tommy Smith and I thought he was great.

Happy days :old:

Sun Sep 16, 2012 8:01 pm

JimmyJazz wrote:wasn't it Gibson who had the big throw? I was 10, Don Murray was my favourite - used to be on the Bob Bank by the halfway line, unless Dad felt like treating us to a spot of luxury when we'd go in the Canton Stand

City would have a corner, Don Murray would be stood on the halfway line with the oppostition no 9 eyeing him up for his next poleaxing :ayatollah: - none of this modern rubbish, he hated going over the halfway line! Absolute rock of a centre half, not sure if it was because I was so young and impressionable, but Don Murray was our Tommy Smith and I thought he was great.

did your father ever forgive his father for not buying 3 tickets? .... by the way is there a programme or ticket from 27 still in the family hands?

Sun Sep 16, 2012 8:05 pm

BigGwynram wrote:71 was great, but I think Rick Wright's time was great, a team of real people and a great couple of seasons.

i think those seasons would have been special if we`d moved forward after winning promotion ... it seemed like another false dawn.

Sun Sep 16, 2012 8:07 pm

JimmyJazz wrote:wasn't it Gibson who had the big throw? I was 10, Don Murray was my favourite - used to be on the Bob Bank by the halfway line, unless Dad felt like treating us to a spot of luxury when we'd go in the Canton Stand

Definitely Woodruff who had the big throw. A good player he was. I loved Murray too but he wouldn't last 5 minutes in the modern game. His game was based on kicking people up in the air! I seem to remember that in one season he broke the opposing centre forward's leg in consecutive matches. Arthur Horsefield at Swindon on Wednesday night and Frank Lord of Plymouth on the Saturday at Ninian Park. Not deliberately, I'm sure, but he was bloody hard.

Sun Sep 16, 2012 8:12 pm

Nemo wrote:

Definitely Woodruff who had the big throw. A good player he was. I loved Murray too but he wouldn't last 5 minutes in the modern game. His game was based on kicking people up in the air! I seem to remember that in one season he broke the opposing centre forward's leg in consecutive matches. Arthur Horsefield at Swindon on Wednesday night and Frank Lord of Plymouth on the Saturday at Ninian Park. Not deliberately, I'm sure, but he was bloody hard.

youve just had me wiki`ing this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arthur_Horsfield :lol: and frank lord http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frank_Lord

Sun Sep 16, 2012 9:31 pm

You've got me on Wiki as well now. Looks from that as if my memory is playing tricks because Lord is recorded as leaving Plymouth in 1968 and Horsfield didn't join Swindon until January1969.Maybe I imagined the whole thing!

Sun Sep 16, 2012 9:31 pm

Nemo wrote:

Agree about Woodruff, he would practically sit on the hoarding around pitch leaning into Bob Bank with all the kids patting him on the back, before setting off and launching the ball what seemed like miles to me as little kid.

Sun Sep 16, 2012 9:43 pm

AHERNE wrote:since i first watched city in 1975 i think this is citys greatest team since they were in the first division back in the 20s and late 50s early 60s ...... is there anyone out there that watched the team in 71 and how was that team compared to what we have now! .... my son yesterday turned to me and said "ive never been this excited before dad watching cardiff play" ... and i thought to myself ..... neither have i!

Saw my first ctiy game in 1971, went with my older brother, looking back there were not big squads then, so squad wise we are far stronger, a few players would have got into this team, (in my opinion) gary bell, ian gibson and brian clark.