Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Was marshall at fault.....

Sun Sep 16, 2012 3:46 pm

For there goal yesterday, been watching the replys back and at 1st i thought it was a defection off one our players in the wall as that what it looked like yesterday but it went through and touched nobody on the replys yet marshall flopped on the floor like he had been shot, it had some speed on it and didnt swerve either but a goalkeepr like him should have saved it i think. :ayatollah:

Re: Was marshall at fault.....

Sun Sep 16, 2012 3:52 pm

bluebird1977 wrote:For there goal yesterday, been watching the replys back and at 1st i thought it was a defection off one our players in the wall as that what it looked like yesterday but it went through and touched nobody on the replys yet marshall flopped on the floor like he had been shot, it had some speed on it and didnt swerve either but a goalkeepr like him should have saved it i think. :ayatollah:

Watch the shot by Smith from the edge of the box through a crowd of players and Kenny saved it. That Austin shot was straight at Marshall with no deflection unbelieveable he didn't get something on it.

Keepers job to place the wall so all in all yes completely down to Marshall in my opinion.

:ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Sun Sep 16, 2012 4:04 pm

Highlights Link
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TodOQuLz ... r_embedded

I couldn't see the wall last time I watched the replays but the commentary imply there is one. I believe he was at fault, I believe with both freekicks he has to take blame. Maybe less for the first one but I felt the wall could have been better that game, maybe use a 3 man wall and that's his responsibility to decide . He's a good goalkeeper but we can't afford to gift goals like that.
Last edited by Caerdydd on Sun Sep 16, 2012 4:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Sep 16, 2012 4:05 pm

castleblue wrote:
bluebird1977 wrote:For there goal yesterday, been watching the replys back and at 1st i thought it was a defection off one our players in the wall as that what it looked like yesterday but it went through and touched nobody on the replys yet marshall flopped on the floor like he had been shot, it had some speed on it and didnt swerve either but a goalkeepr like him should have saved it i think. :ayatollah:

Watch the shot by Smith from the edge of the box through a crowd of players and Kenny saved it. That Austin shot was straight at Marshall with no deflection unbelieveable he didn't get something on it.

Keepers job to place the wall so all in all yes completely down to Marshall in my opinion.

:ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Totally agree, marshall seemed rooted to his line, i think the pace of the shot suprised him, no question, he was to blame for the goal

Sun Sep 16, 2012 4:07 pm

He should've saved it, it was pretty much straight at him but for some reason he moved to his left.

Sun Sep 16, 2012 4:10 pm

JonCCFC wrote:He should've saved it, it was pretty much straight at him but for some reason he moved to his left.

The ball went right of him also its not as if the ball was out of reach why i dont understand why he didnt make any contact with the ball as it was in arms length. :?

Sun Sep 16, 2012 4:20 pm

I was sat straight in line with it and it never took a deflection, it swerved, I think he was more concerned with Leeds big fellers up front and thought it was coming in for them.

Sun Sep 16, 2012 4:39 pm

That's two he's let in now from free kicks. The one against Wolves was poor as he was concentrating on the big cross coming in and got beat by direct shot at his near post.

I like Marshall but he needs to sort out his positioning for free kicks. We've been lucky so far as it has not cost us but it is definitely something that Malky needs to work on in training or it sure as well will.

Sun Sep 16, 2012 4:50 pm

The swerve on balls these days is so hard to predict. It went left then came back which deceived him. He was slightly at fault but all in all it was just a great technique and struck cleanly.

Here is a video on it. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=idgcdK4GkeQ

I know how to do it now and it hurts your foot when struck cleanly but its always good to belt it straight at the keeper as the swerve can catch them out. :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Sun Sep 16, 2012 5:00 pm

No, the ref was. It was never a free kick in the first place.

StT.

Sun Sep 16, 2012 5:10 pm

Steve the Tea TM (c) wrote:No, the ref was. It was never a free kick in the first place.

StT.

Agree with this.

As for Marshall, he should be doing better but he has been in gd form this season so I'll let him off.

Sun Sep 16, 2012 6:14 pm

He had it covered but if you look it skimmed off the floor fast just in front of him

Sun Sep 16, 2012 8:58 pm

2blue2handle wrote:
Steve the Tea TM (c) wrote:No, the ref was. It was never a free kick in the first place.

StT.

Agree with this.

As for Marshall, he should be doing better but he has been in gd form this season so I'll let him off.

Agreed. His handling of crosses and commanding the back four has been superb so far.

Sun Sep 16, 2012 9:05 pm

cheppy wrote:That's two he's let in now from free kicks. The one against Wolves was poor as he was concentrating on the big cross coming in and got beat by direct shot at his near post.

I like Marshall but he needs to sort out his positioning for free kicks. We've been lucky so far as it has not cost us but it is definitely something that Malky needs to work on in training or it sure as well will.

he's no paddy kenny is he!

Sun Sep 16, 2012 9:10 pm

He positioned the wall, and he got beat right down the middle, not like it was curled in the top corner.

Up to the coaching staff to point out his mistakes and we move on!

Loved the way he catered 2 players (Hudson and a Leeds player I think) to punch a ball away!

Sun Sep 16, 2012 9:13 pm

thebeast wrote:
cheppy wrote:That's two he's let in now from free kicks. The one against Wolves was poor as he was concentrating on the big cross coming in and got beat by direct shot at his near post.

He should of saved ballamys free kick..took a step away and never made it back over!

Sun Sep 16, 2012 9:18 pm

AbsolutelyFearless wrote:
thebeast wrote:

He should of saved ballamys free kick..took a step away and never made it back over!

to be honest i don't think he had a chance superb free kick!

Sun Sep 16, 2012 9:23 pm

thebeast wrote:
thebeast wrote:

Was always going in, class strike.

Was just the "he ain't no Kenny" comment, he was out of position too..

Sun Sep 16, 2012 9:24 pm

thebeast wrote:
thebeast wrote:

Was always going in, class strike.

Was just the "he ain't no Kenny" comment, he was out of position too..

not sure i was in the leeds end mun lol

Sun Sep 16, 2012 10:40 pm

Yep, he should have saved it and you can bet he's beat himself up about making a mistake and moved on quickly. But for every one mistake he's made he's made plenty of saves that otherwise would have cost us a result from poor outfield mistakes or pure superior oppo play. Praise those saves and attack plays instead of criticising a rare mistake. He's a quality GK - it is the toughest, most technical and underrated position in football. Every good save equals a goal but without the glory. 10 other players out there and Marshall is not one that I would say needs to be unduly criticised. Best squad EVER. So get behind them. C'mon the mighty Bluebirds.

Sun Sep 16, 2012 11:43 pm

From the highlights I think there were a lot of bodies in front of him which completely blocked his view so he saw it very late

Mon Sep 17, 2012 5:58 am

Natman Blue wrote:From the highlights I think there were a lot of bodies in front of him which completely blocked his view so he saw it very late

But it was half an arms length to his right so how can he not see it the ball went under his right arm, so he must have seen it his positioning was gash i think, same for wolves he just stood there or flops to the ground :ayatollah:

Mon Sep 17, 2012 9:17 am

Yes, no doubt about it. Thought he had it covered and could not believe it went in.

Mon Sep 17, 2012 9:21 am

a poor mistake by marshall,but we managed the 3 points.....so he is allowed a mistake.....it is magnified a million times when a keeper does make mistake. :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Mon Sep 17, 2012 9:55 am

Who cares if it was his mistake or not, we got the 3 points. if we had lost 1-0 then it can be a different story

Mon Sep 17, 2012 10:09 am

bluebird1977 wrote:
Natman Blue wrote:From the highlights I think there were a lot of bodies in front of him which completely blocked his view so he saw it very late

But it was half an arms length to his right so how can he not see it the ball went under his right arm, so he must have seen it his positioning was gash i think, same for wolves he just stood there or flops to the ground :ayatollah:

The strange thing is that can often be the hardest place to reach. Think about the physics of it; you can propel yourself in the air to the corner of the goal quite easily by springing with your legs etc. But the shot was too far away for a foot, momentum was taking him another way and its then hard to propel yourself to the ground quickly for something that close. Bad/unfortunate set of circumstances led to that goal for me rather than any particular errors; perfect storm kind of scenario

Mon Sep 17, 2012 10:17 am

Dont blame the goalkeeper, blame the ten guys in front of him for letting our opponents shoot. Keepers will make mistakes, even Neville Southall let a shot in that was straight at him in the biggest game Wales had in 40 years