Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

I THOUGHT MALKY WOULD HAVE

Sun Sep 16, 2012 10:38 am

I expected Malky to revert to the 4-5-1 formation when we went 2-0 up.

He done it against Wolves and I expected us to close the game out yesterday in a similar fashion.

When Gunnarsson came on in the 76th minute, I thought that the change of formation would take place.

Anyone agree or disagree?

Re: I THOUGHT MALKY WOULD HAVE

Sun Sep 16, 2012 10:48 am

He didnt do it against wolves, he stayed 4-4-2 with Helguson and Mason up top.

We were never troubled so i thought he would stay as is.

Sun Sep 16, 2012 10:51 am

carlccfc wrote:I expected Malky to revert to the 4-5-1 formation when we went 2-0 up.

He done it against Wolves and I expected us to close the game out yesterday in a similar fashion.

When Gunnarsson came on in the 76th minute, I thought that the change of formation would take place.

No real need Carl in my opinion because Leeds had set themselves us to stop us playing and in fairness they didn't have a whole lot on the bench to change that outlook. Leeds played like a typical Warnock team hardworking, organised and committed but by early in the 2nd half they started to tire and the result was not in doubt.

The only position on the field or bench where Leeds were better than us was goalkeeper as Kenny saved them from a hiding and Marshall failing to deal with their only real effort on target gave them hope. Only two goals conceded at home so far and both from free kicks. :?

Yesterday showed us both the depth and quality in our squad and they must of been shitting themselves when Craig Bellamy arrived. Craig delivered a wonderful free kick and hopefully put to bed this bollocks about a lack of focus or commitment.

Whatever formation MM has a wealth of riches at his disposal and yesterday he made the right changes at the right time. Now a minimum of 4 points from these 2 away games and we are well on our way this season.

:ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Sun Sep 16, 2012 10:56 am

CraigCCFC wrote:He didnt do it against wolves, he stayed 4-4-2 with Helguson and Mason up top.

We were never troubled so i thought he would stay as is.

When Mason came on Craig, he and Helguson alternated who sat in behind the other.

Sun Sep 16, 2012 10:58 am

castleblue wrote:
carlccfc wrote:I expected Malky to revert to the 4-5-1 formation when we went 2-0 up.

No real need Carl in my opinion because Leeds had set themselves us to stop us playing and in fairness they didn't have a whole lot on the bench to change that outlook. Leeds played like a typical Warnock team hardworking, organised and committed but by early in the 2nd half they started to tire and the result was not in doubt.

The only position on the field or bench where Leeds were better than us was goalkeeper as Kenny saved them from a hiding and Marshall failing to deal with their only real effort on target gave them hope. Only two goals conceded at home so far and both from free kicks. :?

Yesterday showed us both the depth and quality in our squad and they must of been shitting themselves when Craig Bellamy arrived. Craig delivered a wonderful free kick and hopefully put to bed this bollocks about a lack of focus or commitment.

Whatever formation MM has a wealth of riches at his disposal and yesterday he made the right changes at the right time. Now a minimum of 4 points from these 2 away games and we are well on our way this season.

At 2-1 Gary, Leeds full back Peltier had a free header to equalise, thankfully he squandered the chance.

Sun Sep 16, 2012 10:59 am

It put us on the back foot, and I did not like the way we seemed to gave the impetus to a very ordinary Leeds side, we had the euphoria of the Bellamy goal, and they could not handle him, well on top crowd buzzing, then the subs, when I believe we should have gone for the jugular, then a silly free kick to give away at 2-1, we all felt after last season, Leeds could have nicked one, which puts us all on edge.

Sun Sep 16, 2012 11:18 am

jammsy 1927 wrote:It put us on the back foot, and I did not like the way we seemed to gave the impetus to a very ordinary Leeds side, we had the euphoria of the Bellamy goal, and they could not handle him, well on top crowd buzzing, then the subs, when I believe we should have gone for the jugular, then a silly free kick to give away at 2-1, we all felt after last season, Leeds could have nicked one, which puts us all on edge.

I thought Leeds were a pretty good championship side that I think will make the playoffs.Better than Huddersfield and certainly not the worst side we'll face this season.I think last season they would have gone home with at least a point so it was great to see us moving up a gear in the second half-something which was missing last season.

Sun Sep 16, 2012 11:21 am

carlccfc wrote:
castleblue wrote:

At 2-1 Gary, Leeds full back Peltier had a free header to equalise, thankfully he squandered the chance.

Every team gets a chance or two in a game but if Marshall had dealt with a shot which let's face it was straight at him nothing else would have mattered. Marshall did the same last season against Coventry and it cost us 2 points which would have seen us finishing 4th. I wonder what the outcome would have been with a playoff semi final against Birmingham :?

A bit like Peltier he had a chance but didn't score like Tommy Smith, Helguson, Maynard, Noone all of whom could and should have scored. Wolves came and played an open free flowing game of football and got twatted, Leeds came to park the bus and got twatted.

MM has put together a squad with real quality and this season unlike last season the quality goes deeper than the matchday squad yesterday. Big Big season ahead Carl - Trust Me ;)

Sun Sep 16, 2012 11:23 am

castleblue wrote:
carlccfc wrote:
castleblue wrote:

Every team gets a chance or two in a game but if Marshall had dealt with a shot which let's face it was straight at him nothing else would have mattered. Marshall did the same last season against Coventry and it cost us 2 points which would have seen us finishing 4th. I wonder what the outcome would have been with a playoff semi final against Birmingham :?

A bit like Peltier he had a chance but didn't score like Tommy Smith, Helguson, Maynard, Noone all of whom could and should have scored. Wolves came and played an open free flowing game of football and got twatted, Leeds came to park the bus and got twatted.

MM has put together a squad with real quality and this season unlike last season the quality goes deeper than the matchday squad yesterday. Big Big season ahead Carl - Trust Me ;)

I agree with most of your post, but I'm not sure that you're right in blaming Marshall for their goal, as we seemed to have a poor wall set up, much the same as we did to concede against Wolves!

Sun Sep 16, 2012 11:41 am

Overthemoon wrote:
castleblue wrote:
carlccfc wrote:
castleblue wrote:

I agree with most of your post, but I'm not sure that you're right in blaming Marshall for their goal, as we seemed to have a poor wall set up, much the same as we did to concede against Wolves!

Fair enough maybe I've made the point badly. ;)

Helguson had a free header 8 yards out from a corner just before halftime and if that had gone in the score would have had a more realistic look about it. Peltier had a similar but a liitle more difficult chance late on which if it went in would have been massively unfair.

But do you think Kenny would have saved that shot :? By the way Warnock blamed the set up of the Leeds wall for Bellars goal :? Stunning goal hit with power and precision which would have needed 2 keepers to have any chance of stopping.

The point I was trying to make is you cannot beat every team by 2 or 3 goals but the important thing is we did win yesterday, the first time we have won our first 3 home games for over 50 years.

Sun Sep 16, 2012 11:53 am

Personally I dont know why Helguson was kept on in place of Maynard. Maynard was causing them far more problems and is faster on the break.

Sun Sep 16, 2012 12:08 pm

castleblue wrote:
Overthemoon wrote:
castleblue wrote:
carlccfc wrote:
castleblue wrote:

I agree, but the point I was making, is that both goals we've conceded at home, were from poorly constructed walls!

I saw Bakary Sako score a screamer against Northampton in midweek before Wolves faced us and thought that it was odd to only have 2 men in the wall from the distance he scored from! On that occasion, I thought that either Marshall had chosen wrongly in only placing 2 men in the wall, unless he had been instructed to do so, by Malky or another of the coaching set up!

From the angle I had of yesterday's goal, it seemed that the wall was either poorly set up, or they broke up, allowing the ball to pass straight through it! As I said, I'm not sure about yesterday's goal, as Marshall probably should have expected more from his wall and may not have seen the ball until too late! And in all fairness to Marshall, it was a real piledriver as well! :ayatollah:

Fair enough maybe I've made the point badly. ;)

Helguson had a free header 8 yards out from a corner just before halftime and if that had gone in the score would have had a more realistic look about it. Peltier had a similar but a liitle more difficult chance late on which if it went in would have been massively unfair.

But do you think Kenny would have saved that shot :? By the way Warnock blamed the set up of the Leeds wall for Bellars goal :? Stunning goal hit with power and precision which would have needed 2 keepers to have any chance of stopping.

The point I was trying to make is you cannot beat every team by 2 or 3 goals but the important thing is we did win yesterday, the first time we have won our first 3 home games for over 50 years.

Sun Sep 16, 2012 12:58 pm

Wolves was an easy game. They have a very good side, but football wise we were much
better. So they fucked up with an open game. Third goal goes in... close the game up
and we STILL could have scored 5 without Wolves even looking dangerous. Brilliant
performance.

Leeds was a very difficult game. They have a very good side but came here for a point
and sat behind the ball. At one stage they had two players picking up our full backs!!!
The Jamaican lad is a very very good player and tried to bully us and generally f**k us
about in midfield. He did a great job,fortunately now, for the first time in years we
seem to have a midfielder (Mutch) who just not be fucked around with (and he's only 20 :lol: )

So for obvious reasons, we got dragged into a messy dogfight in the middle of the park.
Its easy to shout for changes from the touchline but sometimes difficult for players to
implement when they are in the middle off things and blowing out their arses

Half time.... All malky had to say was...

Make the pitch bigger, use our width like we did first ten minutes.

Worked a treat.

He doesnt need to go 4-5-1 to close off the game. All he needs to do is to put on a
combative, defensive midfielder to close off spaces. Cowie is perfect for that

So we were tighter, yet kept 2 up top and STILL created enough chances to score
3 more if not for Paddy Kenny.

Not a beautiful performance, but Leeds WILL be right up there, and lets be fair... they
were never really in the game

Sun Sep 16, 2012 1:05 pm

I don't see why helgusson is starting at home, never mind playing for the whole 90. I did foresee that noone would come off for bellamy, people wondered why smith didn't but it made sense to me.
What I did wonder was why Mutch came off, he along with Hudson won everything in the air, he was solid in cdm. But then gunnarson is quality too...what a dilemma. Giving that free kick away for their goal probably hasn't helped gunns get back in the 11 though.

Sun Sep 16, 2012 2:08 pm

Why change a system that is working, it could actually make the situation worse, not all time but sometimes.

Sun Sep 16, 2012 2:20 pm

Unless he picked up a knock or was feeling the pace I dont know why Mutch was taken off.

Sun Sep 16, 2012 2:59 pm

The Douce wrote:I don't see why helgusson is starting at home, never mind playing for the whole 90. I did foresee that noone would come off for bellamy, people wondered why smith didn't but it made sense to me.
What I did wonder was why Mutch came off, he along with Hudson won everything in the air, he was solid in cdm. But then gunnarson is quality too...what a dilemma. Giving that free kick away for their goal probably hasn't helped gunns get back in the 11 though.

Gunnarson gave away too many freekicks for me but he is a quality player. Mutch played extremely well yesterday won everything

Sun Sep 16, 2012 5:34 pm

people put too much importance by formation

Sun Sep 16, 2012 5:39 pm

paulh_85 wrote:people put too much importance by formation

Yes Paul you are right, these managers trying to outwit each other with formations, I don't see why they don't just tell the 11 players to play wherever they fancy !

You could be onto something. :lol:

Sun Sep 16, 2012 5:51 pm

there is a difference between setting a side up to play a certain way and constantly trying to analyse how we play.

before we were 442 and people didnt like it, then we were 451 and again people didnt like it.

now people want us to change our shape half way through every match.

we just need to chill a bit and have confidence in the players and the way the manager sets them up. trying to change everytime we go a goal or two up is just going to get confusing.

Sun Sep 16, 2012 6:30 pm

Mario Polotelli wrote:Personally I dont know why Helguson was kept on in place of Maynard. Maynard was causing them far more problems and is faster on the break.

I was thinking that then again i dont rate helguson at all tbh. :ayatollah:

Sun Sep 16, 2012 7:02 pm

bluebird1977 wrote:
Mario Polotelli wrote:Personally I dont know why Helguson was kept on in place of Maynard. Maynard was causing them far more problems and is faster on the break.

I was thinking that then again i dont rate helguson at all tbh. :ayatollah:

:lol:
Sorry - had to giggle at that!

Sun Sep 16, 2012 10:55 pm

do it matter?

stop picking pointless points which we can look at a negative!

Mon Sep 17, 2012 5:56 am

grangetownblue96 wrote:do it matter?

stop picking pointless points which we can look at a negative!

How is somebody starting a thread saying "THEY THOUGHT ECT ECT" negative some posters on here are bonkers :lol: :lol:

Mon Sep 17, 2012 1:33 pm

Mario Polotelli wrote:Unless he picked up a knock or was feeling the pace I dont know why Mutch was taken off.

maybe coz of his yellow card?