Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Helguson

Sun Sep 16, 2012 10:24 am

Probably one of THE key players in our starting 11. Those little flick ons and other little battles he wins for us are so, so important. For all the talent we have, he's becoming my favourite, he is the battered old work horse that you need on that pitch.

Re: Helguson

Sun Sep 16, 2012 3:48 pm

Dont rate him me for some reason :ayatollah:

Sun Sep 16, 2012 3:56 pm

Helguson does at times hold the ball up well and is a 100% geniune footballer, but he is 35 years old and at times looks it. For me he looked dead on his feet at times in the 2nd half and surely only stayed on when Maynard came off because MM is slowly nursing Maynard to match fitness.

Wouldn't expect to see a lot of Helguson once Maynard reaches match fitness.

:ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Sun Sep 16, 2012 6:17 pm

bluebird1977 wrote:Dont rate him me for some reason :ayatollah:

I agree..

Sun Sep 16, 2012 6:43 pm

Good player, but if Malky wants him to stay fit for what's going to be a very long season, he needs to be taking him off at 65 minutes instead of Maynard - a 25 year-old with bags of pace and stamina.

:ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Sun Sep 16, 2012 6:45 pm

I thought he had a poor game yesterday a bit too slow

Sun Sep 16, 2012 7:17 pm

He buys us time:

Maynard has barely played since christmas, injuries increase during the fatigue stage, we want him available every game

Etien - Probably needs a little time to adjust, played during the summer, may be targeting a second half of the season for him

Rudy - I still have believe he will tun into a decent player- I am in a minority I know, but won't have to play unless 100% fit.

He probably came here knowing he will be used a lot during the early season, but it may taper off as the season progresses.

What a squad !!!!!!!

Sun Sep 16, 2012 10:23 pm

llan bluebird wrote:He buys us time:

Maynard has barely played since christmas, injuries increase during the fatigue stage, we want him available every game

Etien - Probably needs a little time to adjust, played during the summer, may be targeting a second half of the season for him

Rudy - I still have believe he will tun into a decent player- I am in a minority I know, but won't have to play unless 100% fit.

He probably came here knowing he will be used a lot during the early season, but it may taper off as the season progresses.

What a squad !!!!!!!

Good point. Maybe Helguson is a integral part of the season strategy. Play him hard whilst others with less experience but undoubted talent have time to get ready and primed. Can really see him being an impact sub though, he is the type that start games, not finish them...so not sure how he will feature if this was to be the case.

Sun Sep 16, 2012 11:00 pm

I think Helguson is a decent player and complements the team nicely, linking up with Maynard well. I wouldn't drop him but he just doesn't look like scoring! He doesn't look enough of a threat but hopefully Maynard will be on fire this season! :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Mon Sep 17, 2012 10:07 am

He's this season's Kenny Miller, i.e. not scoring enough, but he doesn't bring all the other attributes that Kenny Miller had besides scoring. His first touch a couple of times on Saturday was so bad I was embarrassed for him.

I'm really not impressed by him so far, but it's early days.

Mon Sep 17, 2012 10:18 am

I don't think he's done much at all. I think Mason can do what he can do and more!

Mon Sep 17, 2012 10:22 am

Kanester wrote:I don't think he's done much at all. I think Mason can do what he can do and more!

Agreed. He must be really disappointed after the success he enjoyed last season.

Mon Sep 17, 2012 10:52 am

Kanester wrote:I don't think he's done much at all. I think Mason can do what he can do and more!

I agree :ayatollah:

Mon Sep 17, 2012 10:58 am

Completely different players. Helguson is our target man, even though he isnt that tall, he will win the ball in the air which he did against leeds. Mason has great movement and runs at players and he isnt as good in the air