Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Tommy Smith

Sat Sep 15, 2012 6:40 pm

What an excellent signing .......I'm sure I read many who thought he was over the hill and not what we needed?

I gotta feeling he could well be our best signing as outrageous as it may sound with Bellamy, Maynard etc. The guy oozes class, works hard, is no slouch and doesn't waste the ball, great acquisition! :ayatollah:

Re: Tommy Smith

Sat Sep 15, 2012 6:42 pm

His ability to dig out a cross from nowhere is amazing. A couple of times he did it today, one of which almost created a goal. Definitely a great signing and just seems to get on with things. :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Sat Sep 15, 2012 6:49 pm

Almost scored too. Lovely shot saved by Kenny

Sat Sep 15, 2012 6:51 pm

Cracking signing.

Sat Sep 15, 2012 6:51 pm

Absolutely outstanding. Works hard and never stops. Excellent signing.

Sat Sep 15, 2012 6:58 pm

Yep he's been great so far. :ayatollah:

Sat Sep 15, 2012 7:00 pm

A no nonsense player he looks solid great signing so far :ayatollah:

Sat Sep 15, 2012 7:10 pm

Excellent signing, really like this guy.

Sat Sep 15, 2012 8:37 pm

Very likeable and his experience shows. :ayatollah:

Sat Sep 15, 2012 9:01 pm

JBCCFC1927 wrote:His ability to dig out a cross from nowhere is amazing. A couple of times he did it today, one of which almost created a goal. Definitely a great signing and just seems to get on with things. :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

agree !

there was two occasions i remember where he put 2 lovely balls into the 6yd box from what looked like an impossible postition to do so.

Sat Sep 15, 2012 9:03 pm

He was quality for us and will no doubt score a few goals aswell this season!! :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Sat Sep 15, 2012 9:38 pm

I really am delighted with his performances, what a great player

Sat Sep 15, 2012 10:57 pm

Has great dribbling ability, can't remember him losing the ball from a tackle. Also seems to have great vision , not the fastest but probably gives Malky a headache with the team selection. It appears we have some great wide players now, which was probably our weak point last season.

Sun Sep 16, 2012 8:16 am

Got to be one of our best signings on record, wasn't expecting too much from him, and thought yet another old pro earning a few bob at the end of the season, and I couldn't have been more wrong, so so impressed with him. :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Sun Sep 16, 2012 8:25 am

BigGwynram wrote:Got to be one of our best signings on record, wasn't expecting too much from him, and thought yet another old pro earning a few bob at the end of the season, and I couldn't have been more wrong, so so impressed with him. :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

That was my point Gwyn, many put him down when there was talk of us signing him, I wasn't too excited myself saw him as being another Lawrence type player ok but not exceptional.

From what I've seen so far, pure class for this League! :ayatollah:

Sun Sep 16, 2012 8:30 am

his angle of runs is 1st class he ouzes confidence too very very good signing

Sun Sep 16, 2012 8:37 am

Agreed exceeded my expectations already, quality crosses and his work rate is fantastic too, he does not give on on any ball....

We have a cracking team, can't fault any of the at the moment....

Sun Sep 16, 2012 9:12 am

i was a bit underwhelmed when we signed him, didnt think he was going to add much to the side.

Has been terrific so far though, perhaps keeping other players like kim out of the team at present. Hope it continues. :ayatollah:

Sun Sep 16, 2012 10:26 am

Valley Lad wrote:What an excellent signing .......I'm sure I read many who thought he was over the hill and not what we needed?

I gotta feeling he could well be our best signing as outrageous as it may sound with Bellamy, Maynard etc. The guy oozes class, works hard, is no slouch and doesn't waste the ball, great acquisition! :ayatollah:

Im surprised by his performances TBH. Yes I know he was class at QPR and various fans were on here telling us so, but I just didnt expect the performances we are getting out of him...class act.

Sun Sep 16, 2012 12:04 pm

I should add, he's got a "real" Tommy Smith tackle (after his booking) in his game too!............for the older fans perhaps? ;)

Sun Sep 16, 2012 12:12 pm

hes been a tremendous benefit to kevin mcnaughton aswell
last season kev would go on one of his forward runs only to find himself isolated as cowie would drift inside
smith immediately darts in front of kevin exactly where a wide midfielder should be
great signing :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Sun Sep 16, 2012 12:12 pm

Pleasantly surprised with smith. Seems to be a great acquisition, probably could have done better with that cross from Noone ;)

Sun Sep 16, 2012 12:21 pm

Hate to say I told you so but..... :lol:

He's a proper gem that boy.

Sun Sep 16, 2012 12:39 pm

Stan-QPR wrote:Hate to say I told you so but..... :lol:

He's a proper gem that boy.
got to agree stan thought he would have fitted in with mark hughes style of play

Sun Sep 16, 2012 7:19 pm

I honestly think he could do a job in the Prem for the likes of us, Reading, Southampton, West Ham, Wigan so the fact you have him in the ccc is top notch. Such an intelligent player.

Sun Sep 16, 2012 7:23 pm

The guy is class,always makes space and time for himself.Had doughts about him because he seemed like he did'nt want to come to S Wales.Proved yesterday he can mix it with them as well :o

Sun Sep 16, 2012 7:24 pm

I like the way he tackles as well. He seems able to help out the full backs in a sensible manner .

Sun Sep 16, 2012 8:17 pm

Valley Lad wrote:What an excellent signing .......I'm sure I read many who thought he was over the hill and not what we needed?

should have been sent off the dirty kent!

Sun Sep 16, 2012 8:20 pm

I am happy to say I was wrong about him. Hes been outstanding in every match for me

Sun Sep 16, 2012 9:10 pm

Great player. Class act.