Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Do we need to grind out a win ?

Sat Sep 15, 2012 6:02 pm

With the squad we have at our disposal do we need to play so negatively ? Why in my mind did we not have Bellers and Noone on at the same time. Or do you think Malky will never play them together ?
I just feel that Malky wanting to just hang on to a game we are going to come a cropper soon :shock:
I have come away feeling ok a wins a win but we did not play well :ayatollah:

Re: Do we need to grind out a win ?

Sat Sep 15, 2012 6:04 pm

Nuclearblue wrote:With the squad we have at our disposal do we need to play so negatively ? Why in my mind did we not have Bellers and Noone on at the same time. Or do you think Malky will never play them together ?
I just feel that Malky wanting to just hang on to a game we are going to come a cropper soon :shock:

We can't play well every game matey!!

A wins a win as u say :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Still happy bunny tonight :ayatollah:

Sat Sep 15, 2012 6:06 pm

If we won 6-0 every match there would be something to.moan about.

Felt we played well the second half and should have had a few more.

At 2-0 I wouldn't say we went defensive but certainly pushed back more. It made sense to make things a little tighter IMO.

I think I watched a different match :?

First half was very scrappy admittedly but we were taking the game to Leeds all of the second half. they sat back and defended because they had no answer to our waves of pressure.

If it hadn't been for some purely brilliant keeping by Paddy Kenny it could have been 5-0.

Sat Sep 15, 2012 6:09 pm

Aramore wrote:I think I watched a different match :?

First half was very scrappy admittedly but we were taking the game to Leeds all of the second half. they sat back and defended because they had no answer to our waves of pressure.

If it hadn't been for some purely brilliant keeping by Paddy Kenny it could have been 5-0.

Agreed

Sat Sep 15, 2012 6:13 pm

Played very well 2nd half, deserved the win

Sat Sep 15, 2012 6:15 pm

sure i heard a few boos today when noone went off :?:

Sat Sep 15, 2012 6:16 pm

Nuclearblue wrote:With the squad we have at our disposal do we need to play so negatively ? Why in my mind did we not have Bellers and Noone on at the same time. Or do you think Malky will never play them together ?

Ive seen man united , barcelona , bayern munich etc grind out wins nobody wins by a few goals every game..

Sat Sep 15, 2012 6:25 pm

ninianblue wrote:sure i heard a few boos today when noone went off :?:

Lol they werent boo's they were shouting Noone

Sat Sep 15, 2012 6:32 pm

taffyapple wrote:

Agreed

Me too :ayatollah: If that 2nd half performance was "grinding out a win" let's keep on grinding :shock: :lol:

Sometimes I'm not sure what our fans need to keep them happy :lol: 17 shots and 7 on target against Leeds 5 shots and 3 on target is a pretty impressive stat alongside 61% possession :ayatollah:

Sat Sep 15, 2012 6:34 pm

Can't win every game 3-0 :lol: Wolves the only game we deserved to win this season. My feeling we still to negative but I am happy with the win. :ayatollah: oh we didn't look like ever scoring untill Bellamy came on and I was saying before he has to start. Hmmm

Sat Sep 15, 2012 6:39 pm

Given up moaning on here me even when we win i find things to moan about if leeds had scored to make it 2-2 MM would be facing my wrath on here because after going 2-0 up we just sat back as normal, but we won so im not arsed :lol:

Sat Sep 15, 2012 7:49 pm

Nuclearblue wrote:Can't win every game 3-0 :lol: Wolves the only game we deserved to win this season. My feeling we still to negative but I am happy with the win. :ayatollah: oh we didn't look like ever scoring untill Bellamy came on and I was saying before he has to start. Hmmm

I really dont understand this??

Are you saying we didnt deserve to win today???

19 shots to 7
5 corners to 0
67% possession

Leeds got everyone behind the ball, they doubled up on the flanks, they
fought like dogs in midfield. First Half wasnt great. But we shaded it.
Second half was all one way traffic. Teams will always come at you when
they are behind. Malky's tactics now if we get some daylight is to sit
back and change the shape of the game, force them to come out, and hit
them on the break. We could have had a hatful, same as against Wolves.

Malky has got that secret weapon he was lacking last season... pace!!!

We will continue to drop off once we go a couple up.

but will turn these games into 4-0, 5-0 hammering soons. Maynard is a hell
of a signing. We will kill teams on the break

Sat Sep 15, 2012 8:09 pm

This thread somes up some of our fans' knowledge of football.

Too negative, are you serious??

Of course you sit back a little when 2 goals up, you want them to go gung ho and concede on the break??

Pathetic, moaning for the sake of it.

Sat Sep 15, 2012 8:34 pm

f**k me you be moaning about the colour of our new kit next.. ;) ;)

Sat Sep 15, 2012 8:38 pm

Early days for the squad. It's not always as simple as it seems.

Sat Sep 15, 2012 8:39 pm

thought leeds were trying to play a scruffy game in the first half, then when they changed and brought diouf on there was more space available in the midfield. i felt it was always coming in the 2nd half before bellamy came on. at 2nil it could and should have been a few more. apart from their free kick, i dont remember marshall actually making a save.

Sat Sep 15, 2012 8:46 pm

If you believe Bellamy can just walk back in the f**king team then thats just stupid. It was right to play the same team and Bellamy needs to impress to be on the pitch.

Sat Sep 15, 2012 9:01 pm

Agree with every word from taffyapple.

Bellamy's calf has been injured recently, so there was no way he was going to start.

Sat Sep 15, 2012 9:16 pm

Cwmann_Bluebird wrote:Agree with every word from taffyapple.

Bellamy's calf has been injured recently, so there was no way he was going to start.

Yeah coarse it was :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Sat Sep 15, 2012 10:12 pm

Nuclearblue wrote:Can't win every game 3-0 :lol: Wolves the only game we deserved to win this season. My feeling we still to negative but I am happy with the win. :ayatollah: oh we didn't look like ever scoring untill Bellamy came on and I was saying before he has to start. Hmmm

Thought we looked like scoring nearly all the second half.
It's quite strange we created so many gd chances but only scores a free kick and pen.

I didn't think we were negative today thought.

People used to moan DJ didn't know how to close out a game then moan when MM does :roll:

Sat Sep 15, 2012 10:40 pm

I think the key word in the title is win. Although I'd love to see Cardiff score a few more goals and respect your opinion, I'm just happy to get the result. I think we conceded far to many in the last 10 minutes last season, So I'd like that changed this season and just concentrate on getting points on the board.

Sat Sep 15, 2012 10:49 pm

As long as City are playing in red will you ever be happy with Malky and what the team do :shock:

Sun Sep 16, 2012 8:53 am

some people are never happy :shock:

Sun Sep 16, 2012 9:16 am

Wolves came for a game a football and were beaten in a free flowing game. Warnock set up Leeds with 6 defenders and two holding midfield players or in other words they parked the bus.

Like any Warnock team his players worked extremely hard to deny us space and close us down in the wide areas but they were never going to be able to keep up the work rate. Halftime came at the wrongtime for Leeds and in the second half we took the game to them with wave after wave of attacks they tired and the result was absolutely inevitable.

If Marshall had dealt properly with the only meaningful effort they had on goal we would have closed that game out comfortably as after halftime the gulf between the teams was huge. The fact Marshall allowed them hope is now down to Malkay Mackay to think about as goalkeeper was the only position on the field, or bench, where we were 2nd best. Without Kenny we would have won by 4 or more goals.

So far this season the only goals we have conceded at home have been from freekicks and if it's down to the poor positioning of the defensive wall, by Marshall, or Marshall allowing a shot right in the centre of the goal under his body that's for MM to deal with on the training pitch.

Grinding out the result yesterday my arse not in the game I watched.

:ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Sun Sep 16, 2012 11:54 am

castleblue wrote:Wolves came for a game a football and were beaten in a free flowing game. Warnock set up Leeds with 6 defenders and two holding midfield players or in other words they parked the bus.

Like any Warnock team his players worked extremely hard to deny us space and close us down in the wide areas but they were never going to be able to keep up the work rate. Halftime came at the wrongtime for Leeds and in the second half we took the game to them with wave after wave of attacks they tired and the result was absolutely inevitable.

If Marshall had dealt properly with the only meaningful effort they had on goal we would have closed that game out comfortably as after halftime the gulf between the teams was huge. The fact Marshall allowed them hope is now down to Malkay Mackay to think about as goalkeeper was the only position on the field, or bench, where we were 2nd best. Without Kenny we would have won by 4 or more goals.

So far this season the only goals we have conceded at home have been from freekicks and if it's down to the poor positioning of the defensive wall, by Marshall, or Marshall allowing a shot right in the centre of the goal under his body that's for MM to deal with on the training pitch.

Exactly, I was thinking the same thing, we may as well not have a wall and give the goalie a clear view, having a wall that don't stop or even attempt to block the ball is a total waste of time. He should still have got behind it though. :ayatollah:

Sun Sep 16, 2012 12:17 pm

castleblue wrote:Wolves came for a game a football and were beaten in a free flowing game. Warnock set up Leeds with 6 defenders and two holding midfield players or in other words they parked the bus.

Agree with this but on a small note of caution, we need to start to take a few more of the chances we are creating from open play as 4 of our last 5 goals have been from dead balls.

Sun Sep 16, 2012 1:21 pm

This.

In all fairness, Paddy Kenny was fantastic.

Great win overall.

Sun Sep 16, 2012 1:33 pm

^This