Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Village vs Village!

Thu Sep 13, 2012 10:10 pm

Today about 15 kids from Croeserw aged 8-13 started trying to attack caerau in Maesteg, now this has been going on for years, they all think their little hooligans out of football factory!

But the question is, is anyone else village used to fight with the neighbour village, a bit like war of the buttons :lol:

Re: Village vs Village!

Thu Sep 13, 2012 10:18 pm

Llanrumney and st mellons have never really got on. Also think fairwater and the ely beans don't get on either. there cardiff council estates like

Thu Sep 13, 2012 10:22 pm

llanrumney'boi wrote:Llanrumney and st mellons have never really got on. Also think fairwater and the ely beans don't get on either. there cardiff council estates like

It's crazy like! They more like gangs in they in Cardiff tho? Up here Croeserw and Caerau fight over like a massive banking/hill!
It's been going on since my grandad was a teen pretty much, but its going over the top a bit now!

Thu Sep 13, 2012 10:37 pm

That's what generations of incest does to these village dwellers.

Fri Sep 14, 2012 10:13 am

Karl wrote:That's what generations of incest does to these village dwellers.

what you mean?

Fri Sep 14, 2012 12:11 pm

BluebirdCarwyn wrote:Today about 15 kids from Croeserw aged 8-13 started trying to attack caerau in Maesteg, now this has been going on for years, they all think their little hooligans out of football factory!

But the question is, is anyone else village used to fight with the neighbour village, a bit like war of the buttons :lol:

I remember Pontllanfraith kids attacking Blackwood Comp kids in the bus station in early 80's lol and vice versa been going on for years mun in the valleys :?

Fri Sep 14, 2012 12:16 pm

llanrumney'boi wrote:Llanrumney and st mellons have never really got on. Also think fairwater and the ely beans don't get on either. there cardiff council estates like

Ely v Fairwater was big when I was in school. I don't know if it's still happening now. There was a lane under the railway line between Cardiff and Bridgend, called Birdies Lane, that was the scene of some full-on, large scale street fights. I'm talking about over 30 years ago.

Fri Sep 14, 2012 12:21 pm

Ely V Fairwater all over now, there was a time glyn derw would go across the pipe bridge and fight against fitzallen.
Also Caerau would fight with some Ely boys on Wilson road, that was about 20years ago.
Also glan Ely against the catholic school in Caerau.. All finished now

Fri Sep 14, 2012 12:29 pm

Miller time wrote:Ely V Fairwater all over now, there was a time glyn derw would go across the pipe bridge and fight against fitzallen.
Also Caerau would fight with some Ely boys on Wilson road, that was about 20years ago.

I was a Glan Ely boy. Archbishop Mostyn RC School, known as Mostyn, was about a minute's walk from my house.

Great school, Glan Ely. Bottom of the table, when they introduced them, for the whole of Cardiff! I've started referring to it as Glan Ely High School Of Excellence in more recent times.

:lol:

Fri Sep 14, 2012 12:34 pm

I used to live on the hill on Caerau lane in the prefabs! I also went to glan ely

Fri Sep 14, 2012 12:38 pm

Miller time wrote:I used to live on the hill on Caerau lane in the prefabs! I also went to glan ely

I've got some fantastic memories of my time there. I was a mod, but I had some skinhead mates, so no trouble in school. Went to see the likes of Madness, The Beat, The Lambrettas, Secret Affair, The Jam.

1300 pupils in Glan Ely in those days. Where did they fit us all in?!!

:shock:

Fri Sep 14, 2012 12:41 pm

How old you nedd, I'm 39 now...

Fri Sep 14, 2012 1:58 pm

Just turned 47.

Fri Sep 14, 2012 2:11 pm

played football a few times over that way blaengwynfi pitch was half way up the mountain side :lol: This was early 80s .. Local pub full of drugs :geek: Weird place lol.

Fri Sep 14, 2012 2:33 pm

ELY v Caerau , ELY v fairwater, pretty bad in my days :oops: i'am ex MOSTYN had rucks with most , glan and fiz always at end of term. CCFC :old: :old:

Fri Sep 14, 2012 3:23 pm

Llandaf north / Gabalfa used to fight Ely, Whitchurch, Llanishen and Pentrebane. There was quite a big fight in Rhiwbina (30-40) between Llandaf/Gabalfa v some Somali's from grange but that was a 1 off fight.

I don't think hardly anything happens anymore Police presence is ever present, Camera's in every village plus the youths of this age are to busy getting stoned to do anything else.

Fri Sep 14, 2012 7:39 pm

Nedd Glas wrote:Just turned 47.

You may have known my brothers even through they went to Glyn derw, we lived on Caerau lane from the late 60's.
Ward family.

Fri Sep 14, 2012 7:50 pm

Nedd Glas wrote:

Ely v Fairwater was big when I was in school. I don't know if it's still happening now. There was a lane under the railway line between Cardiff and Bridgend, called Birdies Lane, that was the scene of some full-on, large scale street fights. I'm talking about over 30 years ago.

Think the ely-fairwater hate is still there, but all the fighting is done on facebook and youtube by the YOOTS these days instead of actually meeting up for a tearup on the grass, as is the llanrumney-st mellons rivalry :lol:

Fri Sep 14, 2012 8:07 pm

Miller time wrote:Ely V Fairwater all over now, there was a time glyn derw would go across the pipe bridge and fight against fitzallen.

Im 26 now, back in school we used to fight over in the safeway carpark just off cowbridge road...if we were really game and had aa group of our finest we would go into deep Ely (the wreck) and then give it large until word got around and they came at us. It was like going to Millwall! :lol: :lol: I always remember a lad from my school with a broken arm knocking a few lads out. :lol:

Im a Caerau boy, so I went to Glyn Derw, I remember playing footy against Glan Ely, which most of our rivals went to. The linesman couldn't go up and down the touchline cos of the crowds, when we'd take a throwing we'd be scrapping. Even older boys who'd left school were there for it. Needless to say the ref called it off and the police almost had to come to help us and our P.E teacher get off the property.

MADNESS!

Fri Sep 14, 2012 8:14 pm

BluebirdCarwyn wrote:Today about 15 kids from Croeserw aged 8-13 started trying to attack caerau in Maesteg, now this has been going on for years, they all think their little hooligans out of football factory!

Tonyrefail v Trebanog. Kids Still at it now so i here.

Fri Sep 14, 2012 8:20 pm

I can remember the Ely and Fairwater rivalry starting in about 1972. During fighting near the railway lines by plymouth woods a kid was hit by a train and killed. It was not uncommon back then to see lads turn up with air rifles, knives and homemade spears for a row in the fields , mad days.

Fri Sep 14, 2012 8:58 pm

Croeserw v Caerau, Maesteg!

I remember those battles going on about 30 years ago on Billy's Tip :old:

Some nasty affairs too, especially when the Mines were open. Some right nasty bastards about then :)