Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

I just wanted to say...

Thu Sep 13, 2012 9:25 pm

that yesterday my Father-in-law past away after losing his battle against Cancer. A member of the famous Bomber Command and it was an honour knowing him.RIP Alan :ayatollah:

Re: I just wanted to say...

Thu Sep 13, 2012 9:30 pm

Rip to your father in law and condolences with you and your family. :ayatollah:

Thu Sep 13, 2012 9:56 pm

Bomber command=true heroes and one of the main reasons we ain't speaking german and still got our freedom. Great to see them old bois finally get the recognition they deserve by the Queen for there bravery and sacrifices they made during the big war. R.I.P to yor father inlaw :ayatollah:

Thu Sep 13, 2012 9:59 pm

RIP and thank you to a real hero.

Thu Sep 13, 2012 10:00 pm

R.I.P.

Thu Sep 13, 2012 10:06 pm

One of the most shocking stories he told me was that before they done their first mission the squadron done a colour blindness test which he was the only one who failed. NONE of that squadron returned after that first mission. They then dropped the colour blindness test very shortly afterwards because of the losses suffered which allowed him to do the job he wanted to do for his country :ayatollah:

Thu Sep 13, 2012 10:14 pm

Sorry to hear about your loss, another true hero. God bless

:ayatollah:

Thu Sep 13, 2012 10:17 pm

Sorry for your loss matey, may he RIP

Thu Sep 13, 2012 10:36 pm

Sorry for your loss Adam, at least you had the privilege to meet one of the bravest men on the planet. Total and upmost respect for the bomber crews that flew over Germany. 55,000 I think lost their lost the lives flying bits of tin and wood carrying explosives and enough petrol to get them there and back. And we concern ourselves with football.

Thu Sep 13, 2012 11:24 pm

Sorry to hear that :( RIP

Thu Sep 13, 2012 11:30 pm

Sad news RIP.

Feels like so much death about lately :cry: I guess it's just more know now due to social media.
Thoughts with everyone concerned

Fri Sep 14, 2012 6:15 am

RIP

Fri Sep 14, 2012 8:55 am

Angry Man wrote:that yesterday my Father-in-law past away after losing his battle against Cancer. A member of the famous Bomber Command and it was an honour knowing him.RIP Alan :ayatollah:

I also lost my mother to that filthy disease, to survive the war after being in bomber command is an achievement in itself. RIP.

Fri Sep 14, 2012 9:48 am

RIP

Fri Sep 14, 2012 10:21 am

llanrumney'boi wrote:Bomber command=true heroes and one of the main reasons we ain't speaking german and still got our freedom. Great to see them old bois finally get the recognition they deserve by the Queen for there bravery and sacrifices they made during the big war. R.I.P to yor father inlaw :ayatollah:

Agree with this true heroes RIP :ayatollah:

Fri Sep 14, 2012 10:29 am

llanrumney'boi wrote:Bomber command=true heroes and one of the main reasons we ain't speaking german and still got our freedom. Great to see them old bois finally get the recognition they deserve by the Queen for there bravery and sacrifices they made during the big war. R.I.P to yor father inlaw :ayatollah:

First of all condolences to you Adam and your family. Couldn't agree more with the above statement and I would add that the WWII generation were truely the greatest generation ever.

Fri Sep 14, 2012 1:27 pm

Willy the Wombat wrote:Sorry for your loss Adam, at least you had the privilege to meet one of the bravest men on the planet. Total and upmost respect for the bomber crews that flew over Germany. 55,000 I think lost their lost the lives flying bits of tin and wood carrying explosives and enough petrol to get them there and back. And we concern ourselves with football.

very true.r.i.p .

Fri Sep 14, 2012 3:51 pm

R.I.P heroes are born NOT made, my old my used to say, R.I.P true in this case , CCFC

Fri Sep 14, 2012 4:09 pm

Pass on my condolances Adam, such a horrible illness RIP :ayatollah:

Fri Sep 14, 2012 4:55 pm

RIP, Heroes all the men that fought during WW2.

Fri Sep 14, 2012 5:02 pm

Angry Man wrote:One of the most shocking stories he told me was that before they done their first mission the squadron done a colour blindness test which he was the only one who failed. NONE of that squadron returned after that first mission. They then dropped the colour blindness test very shortly afterwards because of the losses suffered which allowed him to do the job he wanted to do for his country :ayatollah:

50% attrition rate in bomber command. Absolute heroes each and every one of them. I have had the pleasure of going on a staff ride with 2 members of Bomber Command in Germany. One of them was on that Bomber Command programme on ITV recently.

Churchill was a wanker for not giving them the credit they deserved after the war.

Fri Sep 14, 2012 5:25 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qKwVANRi ... ure=relmfu CCFC